Options

Confidence/shyness.

Rugby manRugby man Posts: 10,786
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all. After losing a relationship due to being too quiet and shy, not confident enough, I was hoping for a few tips on how to overcome this, I've looked at other things online that may help, but, I was hoping for a different prospective on here. I was home tutored which is probably why I'm like this as I'm not used to being around people. So yeah, if anyone has any helpful advice that would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mam always says if you don't blow your own trumpet no one else will. :eek:
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Some people prefer quiet and shy.
  • Options
    NaturalWorrierNaturalWorrier Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the impression that you are only trying to stop being shy and quiet because of this relationship break up - and that it is not something you truely want to do?

There is nothing wrong with being quiet or shy at all. It is who you are - embrace it. Never change for anyone - if someone couldn't cope with it, then it is their loss.

The only thing you would find is that you would tend to meet less people - so have less chance of finding anyone you are compatible with.

So if you want my advice? Do things you enjoy, but try and do this where there is opportunity to meet other people. Then if you do meet people, then great. If not, who cares? You are you - be happ about the fact that you are being true to yourself and living your life like you want to.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not entirely sure what you're wanting here. Do you want to meet someone new, do you want to be more confident and outgoing?

The two can be linked, but don't need to be. Do you want to do new things, or not?
  • Options
    Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quiet and shy is fine, but if you feel you lack confidence also then perhaps concentrate on working on that. But remember that 'confident' doesn't mean loud and outgoing, it just means that you get on and do the things you want to in life - and you can do that just as easily in a quiet way!

Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway is a good book to help you understand that you're not the only one and that taking action and 'doing' is a much more satisfactory state of affairs than worrying about things, never doing them and thus always losing out.

Another good book is Confidence by Rob Yeung. In that book he has a great piece of wisdom that helped the penny drop in a big way! He says 'confidence isn't the absence of fear, it's about taking action despite how we may feel'.

I always thought confident people just went ahead and did 'stuff', when I realised that they might feel trepidation and anxiety but worked through it to get what they want it was a bit of a game changer for me!

Don't try and change your personality because of how you think other people want you to be, that'll just make you more unhappy. Be yourself, just a more confident yourself, and you'll find the right kind of people to be around. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the impression that you are only trying to stop being shy and quiet because of this relationship break up - and that it is not something you truely want to do?

There is nothing wrong with being quiet or shy at all. It is who you are - embrace it. Never change for anyone - if someone couldn't cope with it, then it is their loss.

The only thing you would find is that you would tend to meet less people - so have less chance of finding anyone you are compatible with.

So if you want my advice? Do things you enjoy, but try and do this where there is opportunity to meet other people. Then if you do meet people, then great. If not, who cares? You are you - be happ about the fact that you are being true to yourself and living your life like you want to.
    Thanks, it does make a lot of sense, I would like to be more confident, less shy, however, as it never seems to get me anywhere.
    starsailor wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure what you're wanting here. Do you want to meet someone new, do you want to be more confident and outgoing?

The two can be linked, but don't need to be. Do you want to do new things, or not?
    I want to be more confident and outgoing.
    Dawn Sun wrote: »
    Quiet and shy is fine, but if you feel you lack confidence also then perhaps concentrate on working on that. But remember that 'confident' doesn't mean loud and outgoing, it just means that you get on and do the things you want to in life - and you can do that just as easily in a quiet way!

Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway is a good book to help you understand that you're not the only one and that taking action and 'doing' is a much more satisfactory state of affairs than worrying about things, never doing them and thus always losing out.

Another good book is Confidence by Rob Yeung. In that book he has a great piece of wisdom that helped the penny drop in a big way! He says 'confidence isn't the absence of fear, it's about taking action despite how we may feel'.

I always thought confident people just went ahead and did 'stuff', when I realised that they might feel trepidation and anxiety but worked through it to get what they want it was a bit of a game changer for me!

Don't try and change your personality because of how you think other people want you to be, that'll just make you more unhappy. Be yourself, just a more confident yourself, and you'll find the right kind of people to be around. :)

Thanks, I will try and get hold of the books as they sound like a good read.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rugby man wrote: »
    Hi all. After losing a relationship due to being too quiet and shy, not confident enough, I was hoping for a few tips on how to overcome this, I've looked at other things online that may help, but, I was hoping for a different prospective on here. I was home tutored which is probably why I'm like this as I'm not used to being around people. So yeah, if anyone has any helpful advice that would be much appreciated.
    You need to go to places where you have an opportunity to chat to people. Book clubs, Poetry talks, Movie Clubs.

What interests do you have?
  • Options
    oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old you are? I used to be really shy but the older I get the less of a shit I give what other people think :D

Try and make yourself do things you wouldn't normally do and it gets a bit easier each time.
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lack of confidence can be a big problem. Being quiet is not - there are far too many loud people in this world! If the realtionship ended because you were too quiet then that clearly was not the right person for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    You need to go to places where you have an opportunity to chat to people. Book clubs, Poetry talks, Movie Clubs.

What interests do you have?
    I have a script writing course this evening. I'm quite nervous about it, which is a factor why I started this thread as, without trying to sound self pitying, I am usually quiet, so I'm usually ignored around people, which is my own fault for not speaking out, but, I usually feel anxiety about speaking out.
    How old you are? I used to be really shy but the older I get the less of a shit I give what other people think :D

Try and make yourself do things you wouldn't normally do and it gets a bit easier each time.
    I'm 18. Yeah, I'm looking into doing more things that would get me out of my comfort zone.
    Misty08 wrote: »
    Lack of confidence can be a big problem. Being quiet is not - there are far too many loud people in this world! If the realtionship ended because you were too quiet then that clearly was not the right person for you.
    Yeah, again, without trying to sound self pitying, I feel I made life much of a struggle without intending to, because of having little to no confidence.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    There's some good advice for you to think about here, but try not to worry about it too much. Just be yourself. Most of us were shy and felt socially awkward at 18 (even those of us who didn't let it show so much). As someone else has said, generally speaking, the older you get, the less you care what others think!
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rugby man wrote: »
    I have a script writing course this evening. I'm quite nervous about it, which is a factor why I started this thread as, without trying to sound self pitying, I am usually quiet, so I'm usually ignored around people, which is my own fault for not speaking out, but, I usually feel anxiety about speaking out.
    That sounds a fab thing to do, it might be a chance to discuss your ideas with other people. Good luck with the course.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to be so shy, I never spoke to anyone unless I was spoken to, I was always avoiding eye contact so that people wouldn't speak to me, then one day I was put in a situation at work where I needed to be in control and although It scared me to death doing it I spoke up and thought if I'm going to do this Im going to be heard and it worked for me, I think you need to push yourself to get confident, you need to give yourself that push towards speaking up because its only you who can do it, Even if its nothing big at first, try just initiating talking with someone.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mam always says if you don't blow your own trumpet no one else will. :eek:

What are you, a bloody contortionist. :D
  • Options
    Hootenanny123Hootenanny123 Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Just go to things with lots of people, and drink if you feel awkward, thats what I do. Im still shy but still young.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Lets get it right, being shy and quiet is nothing to be ashamed of, its a quality rather than something you should change. Alot of girls like shy guys, your last girlfriend wasnt right for you but that doesnt mean there is anything wrong with you, its her loss not yours.

With wanting to be more confident, thats something you can work on as confidence is also a quality that is admired but you should do it for yourself rather than for someone else. If you want to become a confident person then do it because you want to be that way rather than because your ex wanted you that way, change is only possible if your commited to that specific thing.

To become a confident person you need to surround yourself with things that make you feel good and things your good at, you need to identify your qualities and believe in yourself. Obviously its easy to say these things but if you tell yourself to do something often enough, it will become second nature to you, confidence is something that is built up over time so it could take years to get to be a "confident person" but its something that cant easily be destroyed so its well worth the journey if your willing to try.