Why is it so cold ?

Comments

• Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    met office, barbecue summer

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAH

One of my neighbours seems to think the prediction of a barbecue summer is actually an order! Unless it's peeing down, they have burgers on the barbie every Saturday from May to Sept regardless of the temps
  • Jim NashJim Nash Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Why people like summer so much is a complete mystery to me. September can't come soon enough. :)

Amen, brother. I can't stand the heat. The days around 20th June that never seem to end depress me.

There was a heatwave a week or so back, including the hottest day ever recorded, +36 degrees. Sun worshippers' memories are so selective.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    If you want to believe dismal. grey days are evidence of a nice summer, because you have some stats, please enjoy yourself.

I prefer to gauge things on what is actually outside.

It does depend on where you are though. I suspect that it's been crap in the north but rather pleasant in the south... until today!

Here in S Hants, until yesterday, only 4 days in the last 30 failed to reach 20 deg C and total rainfall in the 30 days was half an inch/13 mm.

But today it's all change. 15 degrees C maximum and that rainfall total has already doubled. More grass cutting, grrr.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Met says it's 13 degrees here, with the 'feels like' temp at 11 degrees. I'm not complaining, just stating what they say. Checking their 'what is normal' for this area, this month, the 'normal' is 21-22 degrees.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim Nash wrote: »
    Amen, brother. I can't stand the heat. The days around 20th June that never seem to end depress me.

There was a heatwave a week or so back, including the hottest day ever recorded, +36 degrees. Sun worshippers' memories are so selective.

Not really as its been mentioned several times that there has been a few hot days but those days have been surrounded by far more crap days.
    I'd rather have had constant decent weather rather than a few days of great weather then weeks on end of dull cloudy days
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    It's not so much cold here in South London as grey and rainy. Had to pop into town and my shoes are now soaked through :(
  • Steffan_LeachSteffan_Leach Posts: 4,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Late July and got my heating and lights on.Such miserable weather it makes me not want to get out of bed. I do suffer with SAD but don't expect to struggle in the so called summer

Who puts thier heating and lights on during the day in July???
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lights are on here - have been since early this morning - heating is still off though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Pouring down here (Bath), that kind of rain that comes down all day.

I admit I prefer a changeable summer, not 40 days of constant sunshine, but even I would like to see some pleasant days. It was all seasons in one day on Sunday - rain and wind in the morning, cloudy all afternoon, lovely clear air and sunshine in the evening when we sent to steam fair, perfect. I just hope there are enough nice days not to ruin my daughter's trips and our holiday at the end of August (when it could be snowing :D)

I'm going to St Ives at the end of August. Hope it's nice weather :)
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not noticed it's been particularly bad this summer. Some lovely days, some days with showers, a bit humid, but soft sort of weather when it's not sunny.

Today is bloody awful though, with a 'feels like 12' apparantly, dark and has rained all day.

SW coast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Someone who thinks it's cold and gloomy and more like October than July. I'm not alone. Mate just told me she's been wrapped in duvet wearing her pjs all day
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    If you want to believe dismal. grey days are evidence of a nice summer, because you have some stats, please enjoy yourself.

I prefer to gauge things on what is actually outside.

No, the Met office record sunshine hours, rainfall and temperature. If you choose to dismiss this because you think you know better then go for it.
    Forum Member

I was thinking that. If you need the heating on today there is something wrong with you.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Not really as its been mentioned several times that there has been a few hot days but those days have been surrounded by far more crap days.
    I'd rather have had constant decent weather rather than a few days of great weather then weeks on end of dull cloudy days

It all depends of your definition of 'decent weather' doesn't it. Mine would be a temperature somewhere around 17/18C with plenty of cloud cover.

'Crap' weather to me is anything over 20C with blistering hot sun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been another crap summer so far. Plenty of miserable grey days, with strong winds, and the next week or so doesn't look any better, and we'll be into August. It'll soon be over. :(

Sounds like a typical british summer. A week of warm weather in Spring, a week of hot weather in June, then in July and August it pees it down.

Oh well, 2013 and 2014 were good, we had a long run of warm days with plenty of sunshine but no freak changes in the weather like suddenly going from cool to hot in a couple of days unlike this year.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I'd accept that if it had been nice upto now, but it's been as bad since a nice week at Easter.

The odd nice day has not been enough to make it a reasonable summer, never mind a nice one.

Not here in Kent, we've had the odd duff day but on the whole it's been very good.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well we haven't got the heating on, but the lights are on as it's dark and dingy! We cherish our eyesight in this house :D
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, the Met office record sunshine hours, rainfall and temperature. If you choose to dismiss this because you think you know better then go for it.

I know better where I am. There has been no record sunshine hours, or temperatures of any consistent nature.

If it is sunny with high winds, which it was last week, I don't class that as a nice summers day, despite the stats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? It's because the schools have broken up.

Whenever that happens the weather goes crap.

Very true.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Well we haven't got the heating on, but the lights are on as it's dark and dingy! We cherish our eyesight in this house :D

It is seriously dark today, I'm thinking of putting the lights on, and I've got a south facing floor to ceiling window.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd accept that if it had been nice upto now, but it's been as bad since a nice week at Easter.

The odd nice day has not been enough to make it a reasonable summer, never mind a nice one.

Bad since easter? Did you miss that really hot weather we had at the end of June?
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is seriously dark today, I'm thinking of putting the lights on, and I've got a south facing floor to ceiling window.

My lounge is generally bright and cheerful this time of day but it's as gloomy as hell at the moment :(
    Forum Member
    I know better where I am. There has been no record sunshine hours, or temperatures of any consistent nature.

If it is sunny with high winds, which it was last week, I don't class that as a nice summers day, despite the stats.

Where are you then? We'll see what it says for where you are. Although you clearly won't listen as you've made up your mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    Where are you? I'm in London and I've been in shorts every day since the start of April

It's because London always gets the warmest weather. Whenever you watch the weather forecast on TV, you will notice that London always gets the highest temperature, while the Shetland Islands always get the coldest.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad since easter? Did you miss that really hot weather we had at the end of June?

Those three days you mean, which caused thunderstorms? If that is your idea of a good summer, then we've had one.

What I like is a consistent spell of nice weather, which we rarely see.