Inappropriate songs for funerals?(Seriously Folks)

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    I read somewhere that someone wanted the 'Grandstand' theme played at the crematorium for their funeral. Nice to send yourself out cheerily.

I change my mind on my funeral songs every time I think about it, it depends how bitter I'm feeling!

But I have decided that the ceremony itself will be small and family/very close friends only. After that there'll be a lovely afternoon tea at my favourite hotel overlooking the sea for everyone else, with my favourite music playing. Much happier than everyone getting drunk in a pub somewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    My brother insists he wants "I am the resurrection" by the Stone Roses. When it reaches the chorus a spring will make him rise up from his coffin!
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose 'Killing Me Softly.....With His Song' would be deemed slightly inappropriate!
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Dont Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult ! :D

I know someone who wants that!

My fave BOC is Godzilla :D
  • bacchantic enigmabacchantic enigma Posts: 3,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would the 'Chicken Song' and 'I've never met a nice South African' by Spitting Image be considered inappropriate funeral songs? My dad wants them and I may need to try and talk him out of it if they aren't deemed fit.

And he's serious? ooer. Does he just find them hilarious or something?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sim.mich wrote:
    Nelly the elephant is what they sing when they are trying to resusitate you! Honesty! It's got the right number of beats and rhythm for chest compressions. :p

At least it did until they changed the guidelines recently. Its 30 to 2 breaths now apparently. :rolleyes:

Sorry OT there! .

Well if they don't make it they might get cremated so kind of topical lol. Did they really?

I'm trying to imagine Nelly the Elephant 's reponse to S.T.A.T. !

*Shudders at the thought*
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    deleted :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angel.vamp wrote:
    They can have a good time listening to my music and getting drunk.

Wow, I never thought of having the music afterwards. Most excellent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    sim.mich wrote:
    Nelly the elephant is what they sing when they are trying to resusitate you! Honesty! It's got the right number of beats and rhythm for chest compressions. :p

At least it did until they changed the guidelines recently. Its 30 to 2 breaths now apparently. :rolleyes:

Sorry OT there! I'm all for music at funerals as long as it isn't too cheesy. "flying without wings", "I will always love you" ect. I think my husband wants to go out to Mister Mister Broken Wings. I hope I'm right! :confused: I'd like "Street Spirit" by Radiohead.
    When did the guidelines change? In my hospital it's still 15 compressions to 2 breaths.

Inappropriate wedding song: "Every breath you take" by The Police. Apparently this has been played at quite a few weddings, presumably by couples who believe it to be a sweet love song. It is, in fact, a song about obsession and stalking.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will demand 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' will be played at my funeral - and everyone has to join in. Seriously, no song's inappropriate if it's one the deceased themselves has chosen.

As for inappropriate wedding songs, I was reading that 'The Lady In Red' is a popular one that really isn't appropriate since the groom's actually dancing with a lady in white.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to have The Final Countdown or the countdown clock thing :D
    Does anyone know if they did use the Countdown theme at Richard Whiteleys funeral?

For me, I always wanted "The Laughing Policeman" by Charles Penrose. I like the idea of people laughing with me, at my funeral, it's what I would want.

For something more sentimental I would have something like 'Angels' by Robbie Williams. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigMerv wrote:
    For something more sentimental I would have something like 'Angels' by Robbie Williams. ;)

Oh dear, looks like we've both went for popular choices Merv.

Linkie
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edna wrote:
    Oh dear, looks like we've both went for popular choices Merv.

Linkie
    Oh, damn, I wanted to be different. :rolleyes:

OK, my next choice would be "The Rain Song" by Led Zeppelin. It lasts about 10 minutes, but whats 10 minutes at the end of my life.

I'll be dead a long time.

:cry::cry:You'd Better!!! :cry::cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigMerv wrote:
    Does anyone know if they did use the Countdown theme at Richard Whiteleys funeral?

For me, I always wanted "The Laughing Policeman" by Charles Penrose. I like the idea of people laughing with me, at my funeral, it's what I would want.

I've heard that's a popular one to have !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigMerv wrote:
    Oh, damn, I wanted to be different. :rolleyes:

OK, my next choice would be "The Rain Song" by Led Zeppelin. It lasts about 10 minutes, but whats 10 minutes at the end of my life.

I'll be dead a long time.

:cry::cry:You'd Better!!! :cry::cry:

Do what I'm doing and book an hour's slot instead of the usual 30 mins . I mean, it's not like we'll be paying :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do what I'm doing and book an hour's slot instead of the usual 30 mins . I mean, it's not like we'll be paying :D
    I like your thinking. :cool:

Why not have 2 or 3 hours like the royals do. At least those who go to the funeral will be glad its over. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all seriousness I'd major problems picking a couple of hymns for my dad's funeral service because I was never really a churchgoer so I didn't know very many.
  • ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edna wrote:
    In all seriousness I'd major problems picking a couple of hymns for my dad's funeral service because I was never really a churchgoer so I didn't know very many.
    You can't go wrong with "Eternal Father, Strong to Save" or "Abide with me"..
    My Mum wants The Battle Hymn of the Republic (" Mine eyes have seen the Glory of the coming of the Lord") and the Magnificat ("Tell Out my Soul")
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,555
    Forum Member
    Edna wrote:
    As for inappropriate wedding songs, I was reading that 'The Lady In Red' is a popular one that really isn't appropriate since the groom's actually dancing with a lady in white.

And it's also about a middle aged couple who've lost that loving feeling and are only just getting it back - not wedding day material at all imho!
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ludovica wrote:
    You can't go wrong with "Eternal Father, Strong to Save" or "Abide with me"..
    My Mum wants The Battle Hymn of the Republic (" Mine eyes have seen the Glory of the coming of the Lord") and the Magnificat ("Tell Out my Soul")
    Dear Lord and Father of Mankind is also popular and a lovely hymn, im my opinion.

How about Gabrielle's 'Rise' for a funera song 'I'm ready to rise again'. Or the song that song shares it's opening bars with 'Knockin on Heaven's Door'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of inappropriate songs, I used to volunteer at Hospital Radio, we had a list of songs that we were't allowed to play. The included:

- "The Drugs Don't Work" - The Verve
    - "Spirit in the Sky" - [Insert Artist Here]

Amongst others. One afternoon we did relent and played a request for somebody in the Eye Infirmary - "Bright Eyes" (burning like fire). Oh how we laughed with the faders down... :D:D
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,316
    Forum Member
    I would love "Bat Out Of Hell" by Meatloaf played at my funeral. Go down in a storm. As well as to piss all the Meatloaf haters of as when is it going to end. Though I love Meatloaf.
    Yep that would be a great send off.

Though maybe more appropriate I sould choose "Heaven Can Wait" by Meatloaf. A bit dull though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mysticegg wrote:
    On the subject of inappropriate songs, I used to volunteer at Hospital Radio, we had a list of songs that we were't allowed to play. The included:

- "The Drugs Don't Work" - The Verve
    :D

Now see I'd have thought that was appropriate in the rehab unit.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    My mother has pre-arranged a funeral at sea. She doesn't know it yet, but there will be a rendition of "I'd like to be under the sea" by the Beatles.