Lauren - Anyone Else Think She's Not That Great?

Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't really get all the fuss. I think 'How Will I Know' at the arena auditions was her best performance so far, but even then it wasn't outstanding. I think her voice is extremely limited and I think her voice in general is very plaine. I just don't really think she's that good. I was cringing a bit when she performed Dark Horse...she looked so uncomfortable and the very simple dance moves proved difficult for her. That's not really a problem though...it's not really her style so it's stupid she was even given the song in my opinion. Her style is ballads. I just think she's good, but nothing more than that.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I agree. I don't get all the fuss either. Darkhorse and Let It Go were both quite bad and she looks uncomfortable. She just doesn't have any stage presence. The only performance that I've liked of hers was Happy.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just love the tone of her voice.
  • mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The hype behind her seems to be about her being 'only 17'. I'd rate her higher if she sang in tune more often, but I didn't watch the audition rounds this year so I'm only going by the live shows so far which have seemed rather stilted.
  • olinessoliness Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    Still my fav singer. Her voice is the only one of all the contestants this year I can listen to over and over again. To me she's the real singing talent that has been found anywhere in 2014.
  • Snowyday2Snowyday2 Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah more hate for Lauren it doesn't matter becuse more hate you get more sursesfull you are keep it comeing and she has got stage presence 2011 she was 13 when she was in Essex Factor and she was a runner up and in 2012 she was a Semi Finallist in open mic UK
  • JavarnJohnsonJavarnJohnson Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pingu58011 wrote: »
    I agree. I don't get all the fuss either. Darkhorse and Let It Go were both quite bad and she looks uncomfortable. She just doesn't have any stage presence. The only performance that I've liked of hers was Happy.

Exactly this. I liked her in Week 1 but I'm already bored of her. Her vocals seem to have gotten progessively worse and she also comes across as bland and stiff on stage.
  • ShAneOmaC2005ShAneOmaC2005 Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes pretty much what others have said here. You can train for years and years and become a great singer with tremendous ability, warble as much as you like like Mariah Carey but if you are not blessed with that natural god given gift, of having a good natural vocal tone, then you will never be seen as anything special. Its as simple as that. People want to hear a nice voice as well as technique.

Vocal tone means a LOT and in today's industry there are not that many singers whose tone I appreciate. I think Lauren has an amazing tone and also has very good technique too.

Many people forget this when they decide to become singers.. they should first ask themselves.. do I have a voice which people will want to listen to? Lauren has that voice. Lola did not have it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    She's good but she's not that great,when you have the likes of Andrea that can sing anything and doesn't get the credit that she gets and she's very limited to what she can sing,not a big fan of her very overrated
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    That's as May be Snowyday - but I'm afraid she bores me totally rigid.

I'm not surprised she's the last girl standing, but she is the best of a bad lot!

Paul and Andrea are streets ahead of her in talent and personality, and so are all of the overs..... There's a reason why none of them have left yet - Jay and Stevi are vulnerable there, and they will probably go next, but I can see Lauren being a shock departure before the final
  • JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good voice but nothing great or spectacular. For me, it will not be shock departure if she goes out next week.
  • Robert_WhippyRobert_Whippy Posts: 2,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the potential is certainly there. imo she has the biggest potential on the show. Andrea has Shane Ward, Matt Cardle type of success written all over him.

Lauren may not be perfect but i think she is improving. I think she was nervous the past 2 weeks. Let it go cause of her cousins loving the song and the dance for the katy perry song.

With a little bit of coaching I think she'll be a star in England. America i dont think so but England yes.

This having no stage presence is complete nonsense though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I found a bit iffy was the pre performance VT on Saturday al about her nerves and the drama over the dance routine.
    Now maybe thye decided to make it minimal before the show but all she did for me was walk forward and at one stage pop a couple of moves.
    Now for me that does not constitute a dance routine, that is going for a walk to the front of the stage and having a bit wiggle so I totally did not get what the big deal was.

Thought she did what she did on Saturday nicely enough though but overall I was looking for a bit more and she has not progressed as I thought she might but thats easy for me to type!!
  • Neu IntentionNeu Intention Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lauren's good but just that. Good. Very much overrated, I thought she'd be the shock elimination at Judges Houses. Her and Kerrianne were the only reasonably good singers at Judge's Houses - Kerrianne was the best singer of the 6 but Cheryl sent her home.

The standard of singing for female singers is quite high though - each year (except this year) theres always been a strong female ballad singer - Rowetta (series 1), Brenda and Maria (series 2), Niki (series 4), Ruth and Laura (series 5), Mary (series 7), Sami (series 8), Melanie (series 9) - then more successful ballad female singers who have had varying notable success and gone into pop are Leona (series 3) (probably the most infamous one), Alexandra (series 5), could argue Stacey Solomon (series 6) but she's had more success as a TV personality, and same with Sam Bailey (series 10). Then theres Amelia Lily and Misha B (series 8), and of course Ella Henderson (series 9). As Lauren stands as the strong female singer this year in comparison with these she's fairly average tbh.

If Kerrianne was sent through to Live Shows I'd imagine she'd still be in the competition now.

EDIT: I consider Misha B, Fleur (current series), Alexandra Burke and Cher Lloyd as more performers than or as well as singers, especially for Misha and Alexandra.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the potential is certainly there. imo she has the biggest potential on the show. Andrea has Shane Ward, Matt Cardle type of success written all over him.

Lauren may not be perfect but i think she is improving. I think she was nervous the past 2 weeks. Let it go cause of her cousins loving the song and the dance for the katy perry song.

With a little bit of coaching I think she'll be a star in England. America i dont think so but England yes.

This having no stage presence is complete nonsense though

Completely agree with the BIB. She has a lot of potential which she isn't quite living up to at present but she's definitely got enough about her to be a very marketable artist.
    I think she has charisma in spades and possesses a self confidence and inner steel rare in someone so young
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    shows the standard this year when she is a front runner.
    i think she will win, for some bizarre reason.
  • flowerladyflowerlady Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lauren is a Manufactured singer, where as Paul, he was born to sing, it is in his blood, and he has more soul than the lot of them put together. #fact
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lauren's good but just that. Good. Very much overrated, I thought she'd be the shock elimination at Judges Houses. Her and Kerrianne were the only reasonably good singers at Judge's Houses - Kerrianne was the best singer of the 6 but Cheryl sent her home.

The standard of singing for female singers is quite high though - each year (except this year) theres always been a strong female ballad singer - Rowetta (series 1), Brenda (series 2), Niki (series 4), Ruth and Laura (series 5), Mary (series 7), Sami (series 8), Melanie (series 9) - then more successful ballad female singers who have had varying notable success and gone into pop are Leona (series 3) (probably the most infamous one), Alexandra (series 5), could argue Stacey Solomon (series 6) but she's had more success as a TV personality, and same with Sam Bailey (series 10). Then theres Amelia Lily and Misha B (series 8), and of course Ella Henderson (series 9). As Lauren stands as the strong female singer this year in comparison with these she's fairly average tbh.

If Kerrianne was sent through to Live Shows I'd imagine she'd still be in the competition now.

I was really disappointed she did not get to the lives because I thought she was very good.
    I also thought Janet from Dublin who was in the Overs category was really good too, I was very surprised she did not make JH.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    I agree. I just don't get it. She doesn't have that star quality factor for me.
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    d56 wrote: »
    I agree. I just don't get it. She doesn't have that star quality factor for me.

Not getting the hype around her either. ..Cheryl and Simon will be pumping her as much as possible, of course, to keep Lady Cheryl happy! !

Notice that no negative emphasis was made to Cheryl having 1 act left in the competition, last night...if that had been Louis., Simon would've been gloating for all its worth! !!:D:D:o
  • SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her voice is pleasant enough, and she is more capable than average as a singer, but there is nothing distinctive to her tone. She doesn't have that X factor.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An average singer, and an awful performer.
  • delzdelz Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has a nice voice but she sings out of tune a lot. Dont feel her at all.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    E05297535 wrote: »
    Not getting the hype around her either. ..Cheryl and Simon will be pumping her as much as possible, of course, to keep Lady Cheryl happy! !

Notice that no negative emphasis was made to Cheryl having 1 act left in the competition, last night...if that had been Louis., Simon would've been gloating for all its worth! !!:D:D:o

I agree. It's what annoyed me on Saturday night. I mean, a standing ovation from Cowell telling Lauren how brilliant she was? She was AVERAGE. Also telling Lola it was her best performance? She was also AVERAGE.
    Yet he managed to be incredibly negative to Paul and paint a really bad picture of him (when really he only did the same amount of moaning as Lauren) and giggled his way through critiquing Andrea (who just happens to be the favourite) and not really giving him any feedback.
    Why? Because they're both Mels acts you see.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    finally i am not alone. I have not got it at all even since the audition.
    Tbh girl singers in general don't appeal as do most pop singers so i am not the target market. I go for male rockstar vocals.
    But she is nothing special to me - she can sing i guess but she isnt very WOW. Though i can see her fit well on music channels so i do think she will be successful. She has a market that oi think she will appeal to.

But she doesnt wow or entertain me personally.
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,259
    Forum Member
    Lauren is brilliant, and so lovely, I think Lauren will only get better and better with age, she is my fav by a mile. :)