Bt1 & Bt2

bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,702
Forum Member
Does anybody know if Topup Tv will be using these channels to show Sky Sports or will we be getting another 2 channels on the EPG showing Sky Sports?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes TUTV will be using those channels
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Are these streams kicking anything out yet?

I guess they are encrypted already?
  • krooneykrooney Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dunno but they r broadcasting subtitles of sky sports 1 and 2 programming on the Thomson TUTV+ box as a previous forum member alluded to. I think they will be broadcasting an MHEG later this week. They both begin 24/7 broadcasting from today week. I hope the copyright doesn't mean they will stay BT1 and BT2!! Surely SS1 or SS2 or Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 will show up. Signing - up only available by telephone so far and there's me updating my online account. I want to add SS1/SS2 by online account as the telephone calls take an eternity. Mayb now more staff for the start of SS1/SS2!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    krooney wrote: »
    I dunno but they r broadcasting subtitles of sky sports 1 and 2 programming on the Thomson TUTV+ box as a previous forum member alluded to. I think they will be broadcasting an MHEG later this week. They both begin 24/7 broadcasting from today week. I hope the copyright doesn't mean they will stay BT1 and BT2!! Surely SS1 or SS2 or Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 will show up. Signing - up only available by telephone so far and there's me updating my online account. I want to add SS1/SS2 by online account as the telephone calls take an eternity. Mayb now more staff for the start of SS1/SS2!!

Didn't take too long for my telephone order.

On a related topic, I had an e-mail from TUTV today thanking me for my 12-month ESPN subscription. Will they send me another one after Sky Sports start broadcasting? Only it reckons I'm only due to pay £9.99 a month, which is obviously wrong, but you'd think to avoid any consumer confusion they'd send another e-mail out to me once SS starts broadcasting.

And also, I was hoping ESPN were showing the UFC Jones vs. Masuyenko fight this Sunday night/Monday morning, and they're not. Boo, hiss!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,258
    Forum Member

I was wondering why there is no mheg saying Order now... like other channels have.

and where are they getting 2 x 24/7 streams from!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    JSB1980 wrote: »
    Didn't take too long for my telephone order.

And also, I was hoping ESPN were showing the UFC Jones vs. Masuyenko fight this Sunday night/Monday morning, and they're not. Boo, hiss!

I think they are now. They have updated their website's schdule, its on 2am-4am Late Sunday night. Hopefully the TUTV EPG will change over the next couple of days so others will spot it.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    pkc wrote: »
    I was wondering why there is no mheg saying Order now... like other channels have.

I think the channels are already on-air but encrypted - if you turn subtitles on you can see subtitles for the programme on-air.

Notice the Now/Next banner gives subscription info.
  • jacko 2jacko 2 Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    Error
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pkc wrote: »
    The BBC and Arqiva have sought to offer jointly to the market: (i) spare capacity which has become available on multiplex B ahead of digital switchover and (ii) new capacity that will become available on multiplexes C and D following digital switchover.

Source & More: http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/tv-broadcast-licences/other-issues/letters/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ofcom have granted TUTV permission to market services using the BT capacity, in letters to Arqiva and the BBC yesterday, 28-Jul-2010.

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/tv/letters/290710Arqiva.pdf

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/tv/letters/290710BBC.pdf

It's interesting to note the relationships between the Mux operators, BT, TUTV and BSkyB are detailed in both letters.

The complete consent process is here ...

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/tv-broadcast-licences/other-issues/letters/
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the bitrates on Mux B, I can see that moving pictures have been shown on BT1 & 2 except today when they are both showing a static caption, with a similar bit rate to 301 which was showing the Test Match graphic caption. As a consequence CBeebies was running at an average bitrate of over 6Mbps. Parliament never goes above 2Mbps and is usually much less.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    Watching the bitrates on Mux B, I can see that moving pictures have been shown on BT1 & 2 except today when they are both showing a static caption, with a similar bit rate to 301 which was showing the Test Match graphic caption. As a consequence CBeebies was running at an average bitrate of over 6Mbps. Parliament never goes above 2Mbps and is usually much less.

Aren't the two BT channels both going to eventually end up on Mux D or something like that, Ray Cathode, after digital switchover?

If that is the case, what is the picture quality likely to be like?
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aren't the two BT channels both going to eventually end up on Mux D or something like that, Ray Cathode, after digital switchover?

If that is the case, what is the picture quality likely to be like?

Yes they are on ARQ B in post DSO areas; the mux hosting 10 video streams in all. At the moment BT1 & BT2 are sharing 6Mbps of additional bitrate on that Mux which is not too bad. Obviously this will not be the same as their bitrates on Mux B which is running 5 video streams. Overall I would think that the BBC encoding will produce a superior $ky Sports 1 & 2 PQ wise.

When I manage to analyse an ARQ B transport stream, I will know for sure. However ITV4 sport looks poor to me.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    Yes they are on ARQ B in post DSO areas; the mux hosting 10 video streams in all. At the moment BT1 & BT2 are sharing 6Mbps of additional bitrate on that Mux which is not too bad. Obviously this will not be the same as their bitrates on Mux B which is running 5 video streams. Overall I would think that the BBC encoding will produce a superior $ky Sports 1 & 2 PQ wise.

When I manage to analyse an ARQ B transport stream, I will know for sure. However ITV4 sport looks poor to me.

Ouch :eek:! and thanks for posting that info, Ray Cathode, and please do provide the link in due course. :)
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Now appearing as Sky Sports 1 and 2 on the EPG.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    Now appearing as Sky Sports 1 and 2 on the EPG.

EPG info for the progs has appeared too on the 8 day Freeview+ guide