MTU size on AOL?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,649
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a Netgear Wireless router and I have had so many conversations with various different Indian operators about my MTU size.

I have been told to set it at 350,400,458 and 492. I really don't know who to believe now. Is there a standard or do you just try all of them and see what works best. I have also been told there are line speed issues on my line and I have towait 8 days for a test to be done. They first told me that 2 months ago and it's still showing 8 days.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it should be 1400.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Not to sure who gave you them figures, but they won't be any good, you're MTU setting should be somewhere between 1400 and 1500, AOL say 1400, although mine's set at 1458 and works fine (I'm on AOL, at the moment).

There's more info here -
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/tweak2.htm
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are on the AOL network it is 1450 (IP starting 172)
    If you are on the CPW network it is 1400 (IP starting 92)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sounds about right then. I was told by them to set mine at 1400 an I'm on a 92 IP now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, any number from 1400 downwards would work okay on AOL and other networks. Most networks use a slightly higher figure, and I've found that setting the MTU at, say, 1395 is adequate for all known (to me) ISPs.

Unless you're getting connection problems to some sites on AOL, there's little point in changing it though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    A few weeks ago, for the CPW (ip starting 92) network, 1400 was the only thing that worked and was stably. It was *very* sensitive to change. I'm not sure if it's still the same, but I'd recommend that anyway. For the old AOL (ip starting 172), anything between 1400 and 1492 works (try 1450 or 1458).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am still on the 172.* network, and my MTU is 1450.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    I just left my Netgear set at the default 1500 and seems to work fine.
  • Telekon24Telekon24 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Mine is set to 1430 i read somewhere ages ago that whatever the MTU setting you find for your network you should always add 28 to the figure not sure why now maybe someone can clarify

At 1430 my speed is 5mb but if i put say onto 1450 it drops to around 3mb weird but im leaving it on 1430
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geniedi wrote: »
    I think it should be 1400.
    When I helped my parents set up their broadband the MTU setting I was given for AOL was 1400.

Edit: from the Netgear website - 1400. Maximum size for AOL DSL.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was on AOL I used to set it to 1400 too.