Are there folks on here who are happy with Sky Fibre service?

13»

Comments

• PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    We were told Sky Fibre would be connected up to midnight today. Our phone service was with BT and to get Sky Fibre, we had to switch to Sky Talk. Our estimated speeds were supposed to be 38mbps.

So this morning at 10am, no engineer visit, no phone call, no change on the 'My Order' part of the Sky website. Our speed just increased from an average of 1.08mbps (it rarely went above that) to 23mbps and it's randomly dropping to 8mbps.

It's strange because we're still getting BT 1571 and BT 1471, BT's speaking clock and the BT helpine 150 still works. None of the voices have changed as I expected them to, so maybe we're not quite with Sky Talk yet.

EDIT - The 1471 and 1571 voices have now changed, the speaking clock is now brought to us by Sky and 150 is Sky. Just done another speed test and we're getting 3mbps. :cry:
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't get an engineer visit now, as Fibres self install, you just need to plug the Sky Hub in when you get switched, id just give them a quick call just to find out whats happening.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    You don't get an engineer visit now, as Fibres self install, you just need to plug the Sky Hub in when you get switched, id just give them a quick call just to find out whats happening.

So what does an engineer do when someone orders the BT Infinity 2 package? If an engineer isn't needed, does this mean that they're just fannying on when they go away for a bit in their van? Unless you have to buy the extended faceplate so that you can plug in the phone cable when doing a self-install.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They only go to the cabinet and do the switch, as the Routers/Hubs now, have the BT Openreach modem built in, so no need for an engineer to visit you, to fit one, then when the switch is done, you just plug your new Router/Hub in (which gets delivered to you before your switching day), just like your ADSL one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just curious as to what he was doing when he buggered off for a bit when he came out to set up my FTTC connection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I was just curious as to what he was doing when he buggered off for a bit when he came out to set up my FTTC connection.

Ahh, he probably popped to the cabinet to the bit there.
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    So what does an engineer do when someone orders the BT Infinity 2 package? If an engineer isn't needed, does this mean that they're just fannying on when they go away for a bit in their van? Unless you have to buy the extended faceplate so that you can plug in the phone cable when doing a self-install.

BT still have do engineer installation for the up to 80Mbps package. The 40Mbps is self installed.

Some of the smaller ISPs like Plusnet are still using engineer install as well.

When they go away for a bit in their van, they are connecting the FTTC service to the line at the cabinet, which is the same thing that they do for a self install package.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    BT still have do engineer installation for the up to 80Mbps package. The 40Mbps is self installed.

Some of the smaller ISPs like Plusnet are still using engineer install as well.

When they go away for a bit in their van, they are connecting the FTTC service to the line at the cabinet, which is the same thing that they do for a self install package.

Ah, okay.
  • FortKnoxFortKnox Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    My cabinet went live today and I didn't waste any time ordering Fibre. Did go with Plusnet in the end though as I wasn't prepared to pay Sky's Activation Fee of £50.

Max of 47meg I can get supposedly. But we shall see when I get activated on the 27th October. :D
  • ewarwoowooewarwoowoo Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    The cabinet appeared on my estate a few weeks back and it was reported as going live in October. None of the web searches showed the cabinet as live but when I checked with Sky they were showing it as available.

So I ordered the kit, shiny new box arrived last week.

We went live on Wednesday. Plugged in the new box supplied and it connected just after lunchtime. Download speed of 37meg which is exactly the speed that sky stated I would get - a huge jump from 1meg.

Happy so far.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ewarwoowoo wrote: »
    The cabinet appeared on my estate a few weeks back and it was reported as going live in October. None of the web searches showed the cabinet as live but when I checked with Sky they were showing it as available.

So I ordered the kit, shiny new box arrived last week.

We went live on Wednesday. Plugged in the new box supplied and it connected just after lunchtime. Download speed of 37meg which is exactly the speed that sky stated I would get - a huge jump from 1meg.

Happy so far.

Nice improvement :) Don't know how you coped with 1Mb :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very nice improvement that, glad its going well. :)