Lynda Bellingham

Comments

• dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Hi Charlie

Sorry I missed this the first time but thanks so much for your kind words!

Hi

Just to say we've received some very positive news today (that the chemo is working better than expected) since I promised to keep you posted. :) You can imagine how we feel. I hope the same for others.

Aha! That's great news, kimi! Smashing to have some positive news. :) Long may it continue (healthy progress, not chemo!!!)
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Aha! That's great news, kimi! Smashing to have some positive news. :) Long may it continue (healthy progress, not chemo!!!)
    Thanks! It almost came as a shock (and a very welcome one!).
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A nice tribute to Linda in this week's episode of Last Word.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04m3jd0
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Charlie

Sorry I missed this the first time but thanks so much for your kind words!

Hi

Just to say we've received some very positive news today (that the chemo is working better than expected) since I promised to keep you posted. :) You can imagine how we feel. I hope the same for others.

Hi Kimindex, meant to respond before but... so pleased and happy for you and everything crossed that you'll have nothing but good news from now on. xx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bela wrote: »
    Hi Kimindex, meant to respond before but... so pleased and happy for you and everything crossed that you'll have nothing but good news from now on. xx
    Thank you! I hope so, too. Still a long way to go and a lot to worry about but not like before yesterday. Waiting for the scan results was agonising and we weren't expecting such positive news. It feels a bit odd!

Thanks again! :)
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been revealed ITV are to air the 1984 OXO ad as tribute to Lynda on Christmas day :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    Just been revealed ITV are to air the 1984 OXO ad as tribute to Lynda on Christmas day :)

That is great news. Saw the news earlier and had a little smile.
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,159
    Forum Member
    That is great news. Saw the news earlier and had a little smile.

Nice of them to do this. And very fitting that in a way Lynda got her wish to make one last Christmas, but in spirit. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a quick update. We were told yesterday that the prognosis is 'durable remission' after an outstanding response to the chemo. 2 sessions of chemo left and then radiotherapy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a quick update. We were told yesterday that the prognosis is 'durable remission' after an outstanding response to the chemo. 2 sessions of chemo left and then radiotherapy.

Great news for you both, kimi. I am so glad to read this and hope the good news continues well into the future and beyond! :). Fantastic.

BTW, I never usually buy celebrity biographies but have bought Linda's book and it is a moving read. It does dot about a bit from past to 'present' but it's very honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great news for you both, kimi. I am so glad to read this and hope the good news continues well into the future and beyond! :). Fantastic.

BTW, I never usually buy celebrity biographies but have bought Linda's book and it is a moving read. It does dot about a bit from past to 'present' but it's very honest.
    Thank you! :)

Yes, we were told they don't use the word 'remission' so are very pleased with that (but know it's not a guarantee). I guess it depends on the consultant. I think it's the best we could reasonably expect, though, barring miracles!

Good to hear you're enjoying her book. I might read it, when we get through this lot!
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »

Aww, will be lovely to see her in this. Happy days and will bring many a living room across the nation to a standstill to just watch her and enjoy.
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fantastic news! Hope everything goes well for the rest of the treatment.

So pleased for you both. xxx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic news! Hope everything goes well for the rest of the treatment.

So pleased for you both. xxx
    Thank you! :) We'll be glad to say goodbye to this year!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll bet you are. Hope 2015 is much less worrisome :)
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very good news. Hope next year is trouble free.

Nice to see Linda on the Channel 4 show It Was Alright In The 70's show on Saturday although talking about a not too nice time in TV when see was groped for a TV show. Nice touch at the end too to put a picture of her and her name and 1948 - 2014
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is good news, all the best to you both, and the rest of the family. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll bet you are. Hope 2015 is much less worrisome :)
    Very good news. Hope next year is trouble free.

Nice to see Linda on the Channel 4 show It Was Alright In The 70's show on Saturday although talking about a not too nice time in TV when see was groped for a TV show. Nice touch at the end too to put a picture of her and her name and 1948 - 2014
    Grouty wrote: »
    That is good news, all the best to you both, and the rest of the family. :)
    Thanks very much! I really appreciate you taking the time to say so. :)
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting a little fed up of the Beatification of Saint Lynda in the media
  • StockingsStockings Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Microkorg wrote: »
    Getting a little fed up of the Beatification of Saint Lynda in the media

Just you wait until Xmas Day.
    They are repeating an old oxo ad as a "tribute".

Of course, nobody else this year who died can come anywhere near enough to have their own mawkish Xmas Day TV Tribute.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I wondered how long it would be before someone brought the negative stuff in here. Sure, it's an open forum; say what you like. However:

a) She's not being 'beatified'. She never claimed to be a saint and wouldn't wish to be regarded as such. In her own books, she admits to being flawed. What she did manage, in her last few weeks, was to try and confront the fears around dying and face her own death in the most positive way she could. There was no glamourising but also no hopelessness. That doesn't undermine the feelings of thousands of other people facing death from incurable illness. Hopefully, some will have take some comfort from her honesty. She was lucky in that she had a public voice and she acknowledged that.

b) It's one advert. One day. A touch of nostalgia and a little tribute to those who want to remember her fondly and want to see her 'have a little bit of Christmas' because she never lived to achieve that. We all have adverts we don't like to see. They are easily ignored or flicked over. A donation is also being made to a cancer charity due to the ad being shown. This is good.

ETA: I'd also prefer 2 mins of Lynda Bellingham and her OXO gravy on Christmas Day than the relentless, 'mawkish' Christmas garbage that other advertisers start pumping out in October ad infinatum.
  • StockingsStockings Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Well, I wondered how long it would be before someone brought the negative stuff in here. Sure, it's an open forum; say what you like. However:

a) She's not being 'beatified'. She never claimed to be a saint and wouldn't wish to be regarded as such. In her own books, she admits to being flawed. What she did manage, in her last few weeks, was to try and confront the fears around dying and face her own death in the most positive way she could. There was no glamourising but also no hopelessness. That doesn't undermine the feelings of thousands of other people facing death from incurable illness. Hopefully, some will have take some comfort from her honesty. She was lucky in that she had a public voice and she acknowledged that.

b) It's one advert. One day. A touch of nostalgia and a little tribute to those who want to remember her fondly and want to see her 'have a little bit of Christmas' because she never lived to achieve that. We all have adverts we don't like to see. They are easily ignored or flicked over. A donation is also being made to a cancer charity due to the ad being shown. This is good.

ETA: I'd also prefer 2 mins of Lynda Bellingham and her OXO gravy on Christmas Day than the relentless, 'mawkish' Christmas garbage that other advertisers start pumping out in October ad infinatum.

How many other people this year, who passed away from cancer, are getting a televised Xmas Day tribute?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well said. It's not possible, practically, to tribute every single person who died of cancer this year or of anything else.

That doesn't mean no one should get a tribute and doesn't diminish anyone else's feelings or experiences about their loved ones who have died (or doesn't have to) and I don't think it means that she is rendered more important that anyone else because of it. It's part of the nature of the media that it often features people in the media, rather than those who aren't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stockings wrote: »
    How many other people this year, who passed away from cancer, are getting a televised Xmas Day tribute?

And how, exactly, would that work?

I think kimindex explains it well. Just because she's getting a 2 minute slot doesn't mean that others don't matter. Far from it
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member

Excellently said.
    Stockings wrote: »

Oh come on, are you are seriously objecting to one advert being shown on Christmas day as a mark of respect to Lynda Bellingham?
    With regards to other celebrities not getting their advert televised, I'm struggling to think of any who passed away & were widely known for being the face of an ad for years & years, I'm sure if there was, there ad would also be shown.