Options

48sec delay on Humax

David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have had a Humax Foxsat-HDR for a few weeks running on a single feed from the dish. Today the LNB was upgraded and the box now has 2 feeds to it. I have also reset the box, and 2 signals were detected during the setup.
What I have noticed is when trying to make recordings from the epg menu, I have to wait 48sec before it will work. If I try and set a recording before the 48s is up, I just get a message saying “Please wait for receiving broadcast information”, and nothing happens. The 48s rule is also the point at which the “Receiving programme information” display disappears from the top right corner of the epg screen, and when the background is filled with a faint tv picture with sound. I cant remember there being this limitation when it was using just a single feed from the dish.
As an aside, the old Humax box (non recordable freesat hd model) also has a delay with the “Receiving programme information” banner vanishing from the top right corner of the screen, but you can still make reservations before the time has elapsed.

Any idea’s, or is this just how it works?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Yes this is now normal.
    To set a recording during that period press schedule then red.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They broke the box with the last update, this is how its suppose to work.

Theres a work around above or schedule recordings while the box is in playback or recording something else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cry:
    ok, thanks, at least I know its nothing to do with the LNB change.
    I did notice last night, after the box had been on and in epg display for a long time, when I went back to the epg later on, it was instant. It was like the box was caching the data to begin with (this was all a log time after I made the OP on here). But after powering down to standby and then switching it back on, the 48s delay was back.
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    :cry:
    ok, thanks, at least I know its nothing to do with the LNB change.
    I did notice last night, after the box had been on and in epg display for a long time, when I went back to the epg later on, it was instant. It was like the box was caching the data to begin with (this was all a log time after I made the OP on here). But after powering down to standby and then switching it back on, the 48s delay was back.

There is no delay if Tuner1 is busy with a recording.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,702
    Forum Member
    Try pressing Record rather than OK. This gives the same small delay as you got with the old firmware.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    There is no delay if Tuner1 is busy with a recording.

Ive never understood why the EPG needs 2 tuners, does anyone actually know?
  • Options
    terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Try pressing Record rather than OK. This gives the same small delay as you got with the old firmware.

Yes but you lose the option of choosing SD or HD from the pop up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flyer 10 wrote: »

I myself think it the same reason it can only make thumbnails when it is doing nothing.

I suspect a later stage of the video processing is needed to unpack the EPG data.

Either that, or as many think it is just crappy software programming not bothering to check if the other tuner is free to retrieve the data :)

Automan.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,702
    Forum Member
    terrykl wrote: »
    Yes but you lose the option of choosing SD or HD from the pop up.
    A minor whinge. The BBC HD channel is the only one that may catch you out and even then only if you do not have any listings to hand. But at least we can knock the main whinge on the head now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    A minor whinge. The BBC HD channel is the only one that may catch you out and even then only if you do not have any listings to hand. But at least we can knock the main whinge on the head now.

I wasn't whingeing merely pointing out that you didn't have the full functionality using the OP's suggestion!!
  • Options
    Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flyer 10 wrote: »

AFAIK it doesn't - it gets its EPG downloads only from Tuner 1 so when this is busy recording you get no update - just the 'old' information from the cache immediately, just like pressing Schedule and Red - it doesn't switch to Tuner 2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the reason I went for the Samsung S7800 was that is was reported not to make you wait to load the guide.

And yes, that is the case but the guide was not always fully populated and would change as you browsed the guide I think it only uses the trickle stream and again does not make use of the second tuner.

BTW, it only makes a recording thumbnail when you watch it :)

Automan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This seems to have got worse for me over the past week!

Constantly having to "wait" for the EPG to download and having a "please wait for programme information to download" pop up.

Today I was watching Channel 4HD for 2 hours, yet still had to wait (with pop up) to get the EPG to skip 3 days,

This is a pretty poor show for such a top notch DVR!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am going to use the record button in the epg for now as a work around.
  • Options
    stanandjanstanandjan Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what i see.. Humax have never commented on this aspect..
    I would like to see an official statement by Humax as to..
    1] Yes we accept that GUIDE is a major function and we apologise for cocking it up..
    but at this stage we cannot envisage a restoration of an International Industry wide facility..
    as we have no idea why this situation has resulted..
    OR
    2] WE cannot understand how some customers have such a limited view as not to comprehend
    that the vast majority of users and all the beta testers said that they never used GUIDE and so we by DESIGN have minimised the number of buttons on the Remote..Everyone accepts that the set is a 'SLOW MOVER' and we cannot understand how some users are having any problems or for that matter how and why other Top TV firms are wasting resources on a GUIDE feature...
    Bobcat has confirmed in his new capacity that there are no BSI Standards which dictate customer ease of operation.
    Sequential button pressing was a much loved feature of the early digital days and we plan to minimise the number of buttons on the new Remote such that it will have only SIX very LARGE buttons..and to facilitate that they will be labelled ONE to SIX.
    We are not in the market for customers.. often female..or who have a logical dispostion and who demand literal interpretations of features printed.
    We understand that Panasonic are very good at such low tech design features.

Stan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i noticed yesterday that when i pressed the info button, the info panel appeared with the data instant, even though the box was still "Receiving infomration". It was recording anything either. Have they done a partial fix?
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    i noticed yesterday that when i pressed the info button, the info panel appeared with the data instant, even though the box was still "Receiving infomration". It was recording anything either. Have they done a partial fix?

This has not changed - The popup message is only triggered by OK.
  • Options
    JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stanandjan wrote: »
    From what i see.. Humax have never commented on this aspect..
    I would like to see an official statement by Humax as to..
    1] Yes we accept that GUIDE is a major function and we apologise for cocking it up..
    but at this stage we cannot envisage a restoration of an International Industry wide facility..
    as we have no idea why this situation has resulted..
    OR
    2] WE cannot understand how some customers have such a limited view as not to comprehend
    that the vast majority of users and all the beta testers said that they never used GUIDE and so we by DESIGN have minimised the number of buttons on the Remote..Everyone accepts that the set is a 'SLOW MOVER' and we cannot understand how some users are having any problems or for that matter how and why other Top TV firms are wasting resources on a GUIDE feature...
    Bobcat has confirmed in his new capacity that there are no BSI Standards which dictate customer ease of operation.
    Sequential button pressing was a much loved feature of the early digital days and we plan to minimise the number of buttons on the new Remote such that it will have only SIX very LARGE buttons..and to facilitate that they will be labelled ONE to SIX.
    We are not in the market for customers.. often female..or who have a logical dispostion and who demand literal interpretations of features printed.
    We understand that Panasonic are very good at such low tech design features.

Stan

LOL, that's quite good.

I'm afraid that this is just another example of Humax's shoddy software quality control and even shoddier customer service.

This a major annoyance to a lot of people and the fanbois protestations that you can work around it really don't address the problem. No company should break a working feature of their product such that you have to use a workaround. Particularly as you have no way to refuse the update. (Which itself failed miserably to address a whole raft of minor pieces of Humax UI incompetence despite the inordinate amount of time they took to come up with it. :rolleyes:)

The Foxsat HDR may be a good product but as a company Humax stink.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jepson wrote: »
    LOL, that's quite good.

I'm afraid that this is just another example of Humax's shoddy software quality control and even shoddier customer service.

This a major annoyance to a lot of people and the fanbois protestations that you can work around it really don't address the problem. No company should break a working feature of their product such that you have to use a workaround. Particularly as you have no way to refuse the update. (Which itself failed miserably to address a whole raft of minor pieces of Humax UI incompetence despite the inordinate amount of time they took to come up with it. :rolleyes:)

The Foxsat HDR may be a good product but as a company Humax stink.

I take exception to your" Fanbois" comment.I am one of those who use the workarounds to overcome the deficiences in the Humax HDR!!
    I and I believe the OP's who use the workarounds are just as keen as you for Humax to put these issues right.
    So essentially I agree with your post,but find the fanbois comment uneccessary and unconstructive.
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect everybody who posts in these threads uses the Humax and wants Humax to put it right.

It's just strange that most of the posters seems to fall into one of two slightly irrational groups...

1) oh, please, don't say it's got a real problem, I couldn't cope if I thought my Humax box wasn't so almost perfect that it didn't matter - honestly, really, it's all fine as it is - any changes they want to make are fine - please don't say they've made something worse, I really can' t process that possibility - everything is just fine and lovely - la la la la la

and

2) YOU B*******S HAVE RUINED MY LIFE - THE NEW SOFTWARE HAS REDUCED THIS BOX TO A DOOR STOP - WHAT DO THEY EMPLOY AT HUMAX, MONKEYS?!?!? F*****G IDIOTS!!! MY 18 YEAR OLD VHS VCR WAS BETTER THAN THIS IN LONG PLAY MODE WITH THE POWER DISCONNECTED!!!

I just find it entertaining.

Given the timescales we've seen in the past, I think anyone who is expecting another up date will be in for a long wait.

See the long thread I started about the new software - Graham explained how to revert to the old version - I keep meaning to do that, but the weather has been too nice to be playing around with stuff like this!

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    I enjoy recording and then watching programmes and also enjoy the speedier BBC iplayer.
    I like my Humax Foxsat HDR.
    Is there something wrong with me?
    ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terrykl wrote: »
    I take exception to your" Fanbois" comment.I am one of those who use the workarounds to overcome the deficiences in the Humax HDR!!
    I and I believe the OP's who use the workarounds are just as keen as you for Humax to put these issues right.
    So essentially I agree with your post,but find the fanbois comment uneccessary and unconstructive.

Sorry. :o

I didn't, anyway, mean that everyone who uses a workaround is an FB. It's people who say that Humax's behaviour is acceptable because of the possibility of a workaround that I classify in that way.

In other words, people who tell us that because there are other ways to do things that the Foxsat should do natively that means that there is no reason to complain about Humax's failure to sort out problems and niggles and we should stop complaining.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    I suspect everybody who posts in these threads uses the Humax and wants Humax to put it right.

It's just strange that most of the posters seems to fall into one of two slightly irrational groups...

1) oh, please, don't say it's got a real problem, I couldn't cope if I thought my Humax box wasn't so almost perfect that it didn't matter - honestly, really, it's all fine as it is - any changes they want to make are fine - please don't say they've made something worse, I really can' t process that possibility - everything is just fine and lovely - la la la la la

and

2) YOU B*******S HAVE RUINED MY LIFE - THE NEW SOFTWARE HAS REDUCED THIS BOX TO A DOOR STOP - WHAT DO THEY EMPLOY AT HUMAX, MONKEYS?!?!? F*****G IDIOTS!!! MY 18 YEAR OLD VHS VCR WAS BETTER THAN THIS IN LONG PLAY MODE WITH THE POWER DISCONNECTED!!!

I just find it entertaining.

I definitely fall between the two camps.

I think the Foxsat is an excellent product that is nice to use and extremely reliable.

I just think that Humax have been very poor in responding to customer feedback and have left a good many fairly minor bugs and niggles in place despite two updates, each of which took an interminable time to arrive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jepson wrote: »
    Sorry. :o

I didn't, anyway, mean that everyone who uses a workaround is an FB. It's people who say that Humax's behaviour is acceptable because of the possibility of a workaround that I classify in that way.

In other words, people who tell us that because there are other ways to do things that the Foxsat should do natively that means that there is no reason to complain about Humax's failure to sort out problems and niggles and we should stop complaining.

Thanks Jepson,
    Your apology although accepted,wasn't really neccessary.
    I should know well enough by now your thought processes
    when making a comment such as that.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted