Boardwalk Empire - Season 2 - UK Pace - No Spoilers Please

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    I like jimmy and Richards relationship, it's genuine friendship and the actors do an amazing job of portraying it.

I dont agree, I dont believe there is a genuine friendship there. The night that Richard got back to Jimmy's house after attempting his own life, Jimmy was unsure of him and seemed to regard him with suspicion, making sure that Richard saw his gun and knew he could get to it easily. When Richard asked him about being there for him and defending him, Jimmy looked like he was almost about to brush him off and ignore his question, if you get my meaning. I think the writers have big plans for Richard as we keep seeing snippets, like his collages which he keeps in his books. I would expect him to have a big story line coming up, possibly with a huge character ark. Maybe they will just keep him as he is, after all, of all the characters in the show, I think the views care for him more than the others.

Also, this situation between Jimmy and his mother is another intriguing situation. His mother is obsessed with Jimmy getting power, almost in a perverse sort of way, to the point that it evokes comparisons with Roman Emperors and the roles their mothers played in getting their sons to power, but ultimately meeting an end in doing so. Might it be possible that Gillian dies whilst trying to get Jimmy into power? At any rate, I think she will try and convince Jimmy to kill Nucky, if not his father. Also, Jimmy still seems confused, he seems to be torn between Nucky and his mother and I cant wait to find out which way he will go!

Cant wait to find out what will happen to Eli! I think he is a great character played by a great actor (Shea Wingham) and it would be a shame to see him wasted.

And I agree with you all, the revenge thirsty Chalky White brilliant!
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eli is all over the place, it doesn't look too good for him.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont agree, I dont believe there is a genuine friendship there. The night that Richard got back to Jimmy's house after attempting his own life, Jimmy was unsure of him and seemed to regard him with suspicion, making sure that Richard saw his gun and knew he could get to it easily.

Mmm, I dont think Jimmy was suspicious in any way of Richard. He was on edge and Richard had been missing all day, so there was concern, but I saw no suspicioun. I think you're reading too much into the gun thing.
    When Richard asked him about being there for him and defending him, Jimmy looked like he was almost about to brush him off and ignore his question, if you get my meaning.

I dont think Jimmy was expecting the question so it took him by surprise. Having said that, it was a timely question, earlier that day Nooky had an indirect go at Jimmy about loyalty his speech. So beyond their basic friendship, Jimmy's relationship with Richard is now also a way for Jimmy to reaffirm to himself that he is a loyal person. Whether that can be described as genuine friendship is debatable though.
    I think the writers have big plans for Richard as we keep seeing snippets, like his collages which he keeps in his books. I would expect him to have a big story line coming up, possibly with a huge character ark. Maybe they will just keep him as he is, after all, of all the characters in the show, I think the views care for him more than the others.

I think it's clear Richard longs to have a sweetheart and a family of his own, and that void is what lead him to attempt suicide. I can see jealousy getting the best of him which will no doubt create conflict with Jimmy.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Promo for Episode 6:cool:
  • LARulzLARulz Posts: 34,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's the US paced thread? :o
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    You think Boardwalk Empire can't get any better....but it just did.....wow, what an episode, on Saturday.....Just Richards walk in the woods would have been fine by me....But we had Eli going crazy, his fight with Nucky {Maggie to the rescue}, Jimmy's trouble, with the Elders....and Katy, gets friendly with the Irish Guy.

derek500 wrote: »
    ...and for older viewers, the man who was scalped was played by Richard Easton, who played Brian Hammond in the 1970s BBC show The Brothers (and loads of other UK shows).
    I was trying to place him...and I remember The Brothers...:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last episode was excellent. There were just so many quiet moments, but the acting was top-class. Jack Huston is doing sensational work with Richard. He's got to be my favourite character (along with Chalky) but I can never really put my finger on exactly why? Maybe I feel sorry for him, but then he does the head-scalping at the end and I just think he's a bad-ass.

Nucky trying to one-up Jimmy with the speech and it backfiring was brilliant. They're both making rash choices and it could cost them.

Nice that Eli got some focus. He's always come across as somebody who lacks a bit of spine and just follows the leader, but we got to see his side a bit more especially when he was comparing family life and houses with Nucky. But oh man, that fight was fantastic, you could just feel the anger coming from both men.

Oh, and Katy the maid....phwoarrrr!
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I think it's clear Richard longs to have a sweetheart and a family of his own, and that void is what lead him to attempt suicide. I can see jealousy getting the best of him which will no doubt create conflict with Jimmy.

I'm not so sure, he said he no longer had any feelings for his sister. I think he doesn't make emotional bonds anymore.
    He and Jimmy are Brothers in Arms, they respect each other and know what each has gone through. He didn't ask Jimmy "are you my friend?" or "do you like me?". He asked "Would you fight for me" and Jimmy's response "To the last bullet". I think this shows the nature their relantionship. They not merely friends, they might not even be friends but they would fight for each other.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Richard has a need for a bond. I also recall in an earlier episode Richard asking Jimmy "how does it feel to have everything?". It's been brewing for a while, and probably will continue to do so until it reaches boiling point at some future stage. IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I think Richard has a need for a bond. I also recall in an earlier episode Richard asking Jimmy "how does it feel to have everything?". It's been brewing for a while, and probably will continue to do so until it reaches boiling point at some future stage. IMO.

yes I think he wishes he could have a family but he believes (and could be right) that he is incapable of having feelings for other people now. When he talked about his sister and no longer having feelings for her he did seem sad about this.
    I think the reason he was going to shoot himself is not because he doesn't have a family but he feels he can never have one.
  • paulgothpaulgoth Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This show just gets better and better.

Some quiet moments and then all of a sudden - BANG - Eli goes mad and caves someones head in and Richard scalps someone!

2 of the most brutal scenes we've seen so far I reckon and there have been a few.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Agent Clarkson will be kept alive like a 1920s version of Captain Pike.
    Forum Member
    I really thought Nelson {losing it again, with the Burnt Guy} was going to see a Blood Bath, when he went into Lucy's Bedroom.....and then Rose turning up, later....what a Mess.

And Jim's Mum, is still creeping me out."It's just something she does"...But he's deal with the Heavy's, I'm sure, is going to end in Tears....but who's?

Interesting confession from Maggie too....will Nucky find out?

Commodore, looking Bad.
    And that Butcher....you do need him, on your side....The Long Good Friday, came to mind in one scene.:eek:...but this was more Bloody.

"...can't kill everyone Manny.."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Nucky's plan to go federal is not working out so well after all. He is going to need Eli in order to find out the witnesses. That should eb an interesting scene.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was an expected comedown from last week. The scene at the end with the younger gangsters plotting to usurp the older generation probably bumped it up a little.

The Van Alden/Lucy stuff has just been a drag. It hasn't helped either that they, especially Van Alden, have been so marginalised from the main plot.

I read someone elsewhere describe the Margaret/Slater stuff as a "Carmela/Furio redux" and personally I have no time for that sub-plot.

We're halfway through the season now, and I think it's been fairly strong overall, but some of the characterisation is still a little weird. Are we meant to be in awe of Nucky for the empire he has created or are we meant to feel sorry/glad that his Attourney General case has been screwed up? And Margaret started as a really sympathetic character but she's coming across as a right cold bitch, almost as if she feels she is entitled to be punching well above her weight with regards to the fancy house and stuff. Van Alden is just a conundrum in himself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 272
    Forum Member

I read someone elsewhere describe the Margaret/Slater stuff as a "Carmela/Furio redux" and personally I have no time for that sub-plot.

Do me a favour - I'm halfway through series 4, so spoiler Sopranos tidbits please:D

Another very good episode for me. I actually quite like the Van Alden subplot and reckon it'll play into the main plot somehow.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    There were at least four Sopranos actors in this episode, Nucky, his Dad (who played Carmela's dad), Al Capone's boss (who played a New York Godfather) and of course the old guy with sideburns (Uncle Junior), there have been a few other Sopranos actors in earlier episodes too (one being one of my favourite Sopranos bit part actors, the smack head translator).

One thing I hope that we're not going to get from The Sopranos is the dream sequences which made a brief and ominous appearance this week.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Double post.
    Forum Member
    Heating up on all fronts this week...From Maggie and the Irish Guy to Jimmy's last words to Nucky, or so he thought.

Owen's Fight...and the Fingers.:eek:
    And you just knew Nelson wouldn't give info to Nucky...but Esther is going to be trouble for him/them both.

Mum getting dressed in front of him now.

"I like anything with a Horse in it"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found that episode a bit disappointing, and really boring in parts. Did not care at all for the Margaret sub-plot, and it was predictable from weeks ago that her & Owen would shag. Also him killing that guy in the bar was just weirdly random. There was no build-up or nothing, and I couldn't really tell what he was saying due to the terrible accents. (I got the jist that the dead guy was an informant.)

Also who carries out an assassination in a crowded room? And what kind of hired hitman misses at point blank range? Though I give them the benefit that Jimmy's cryptic message made Nucky suspicious.

Van Alden was the clear star. I think he is trying to start over and wants to take down Nucky hence him turning over the files. The scene with him & Nucky in the office was brilliant with some great lines. My favourite though was Nucky immediately telling Lucy the date they last had sex.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Love this show so much! I was starting to think Lucy and Van Alden were being sidelined into something that had nothing to do with the main plot but now I can see how it links up to Van Alden NOT doing as Nucky says.

I have really gone off Mrs Schroeder, she is so unlikeable at the moment! even before she had it off with the Irish guy!

Jimmy's Ma is completely creeping me out. Are the writers going anywhere with that? I really hope not because I like Jimmy and I don't get the overtly sexual vibes from him to his mother as much, but definitely get them from her to him. It is uncomfortable viewing.

The hour always goes past so quickly when this show is on! Great TV!
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found that episode a bit disappointing, and really boring in parts. Did not care at all for the Margaret sub-plot, and it was predictable from weeks ago that her & Owen would shag.

I enjoyed the episode, but yeah, I agree with you about Margaret and her various sub-plots. I like Owen however, great addition.

Could anyone explain to me the Owen bar scene, I kept on getting interrupted while it was going on. Cheers.
    Van Alden was the clear star. I think he is trying to start over and wants to take down Nucky hence him turning over the files. The scene with him & Nucky in the office was brilliant with some great lines. My favourite though was Nucky immediately telling Lucy the date they last had sex.

Van Alden (Michael Shannon) steals very scene he is in, imo. What a wonderful actor.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great episode again, although I agree the Margaret sub plots are boring and she is becoming more and more unlikeable but this show has been truly amazing so far.

Michael Shannon is amazing and I can't stop laughing at most of the scenes he's in.

Also have I missed something or has there been no follow up/fallout to the scalping scene a few episodes ago involving Richard & Jimmy?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could anyone explain to me the Owen bar scene, I kept on getting interrupted while it was going on. Cheers.

The guy was an informant (or similar) to the British. Owen had been looking for him for months.
    There was no previousl tie in to this scene, not sure if there will be any going forward. It could be there just to show how ruthless Owen is.
    btw his accent seemed fine to me (I am Irish). I was surprised when I wiki'd him to find he was English.
    Every time there is an Irish accent on tv it gets accused of being terrible because it doesn't fit the preconceived idea of an Irish accent. There are a wide range of Irish accents Cork to Dublin to Belfast - all very different and a hundred other in between. Saying that you do get some terrible Irish accents - Angel's Oirish accent was dreadful but still...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    The guy was an informant (or similar) to the British. Owen had been looking for him for months.
    There was no previousl tie in to this scene, not sure if there will be any going forward. It could be there just to show how ruthless Owen is.
    btw his accent seemed fine to me (I am Irish). I was surprised when I wiki'd him to find he was English.
    Every time there is an Irish accent on tv it gets accused of being terrible because it doesn't fit the preconceived idea of an Irish accent. There are a wide range of Irish accents Cork to Dublin to Belfast - all very different and a hundred other in between. Saying that you do get some terrible Irish accents - Angel's Oirish accent was dreadful but still...

Heroes had a sub plot set in Ireland IIRC? Those accents sounded terrible to me, an Englishman. Did you watch that and if so how do you rate those attempts?