[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
Forum Member
... set entirely in the TARDIS ? - might be nice to have a look around

Comments

• Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly a part of an old 8-9 part story with William Hartnell or one of the older Doctors. Would be interesting to see.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Old Who, the Edge of Destruction was set in the TARDIS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Edge_of_Destruction
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Edge of Destruction with Hartnell was set entirely in the TARDIS but we only got to see a little bit of it.

EDIT: snap
  • Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a 2 parter made on the cheap in the first series, alternatively called "Edge of Destruction" or "Inside the Spaceship". Only the 4 regulars appeared.

G
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    interesting reading - cheers

perhaps the day has come for something similar - kind of you walk out of one TARDIS room but end up in a different TARDIS room you we not supposed to be in, thus have to find each other and solve the problem
  • Options
    shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Logopolis and Castrovalva are worth a watch if you want to see some more of the tardis interior.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last episode of The Invasion of Time (1978) was set entirely in the TARDIS and explored more of it than had ever been seen before or since, including the swimming pool. But we did see a fair bit of it over the course of the classic series. I wish the new series would get away from just showing the console room all the time.
  • Options
    shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last episode of The Invasion of Time (1978) was set entirely in the TARDIS and explored more of it than had ever been seen before or since, including the swimming pool. But we did see a fair bit of it over the course of the classic series. I wish the new series would get away from just showing the console room all the time.

I read the Invasion of Time book before I saw the episodes, and was so disappointed. I expected the tardis scenes to look 'tardisy', but they were all filmed on location weren't they? Not a roundel in sight....

One of my gripes towards the end of the classic series was the lack of tardis scenes. Every week I waited and wished and hoped!:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shortcrust wrote: »
    I read the Invasion of Time book before I saw the episodes, and was so disappointed. I expected the tardis scenes to look 'tardisy', but they were all filmed on location weren't they? Not a roundel in sight....
    I quite liked that, though. Bits of the TARDIS seem to have different decor-look at the secondary control room. I think it helps give an impression of scale.

One of my gripes towards the end of the classic series was the lack of tardis scenes. Every week I waited and wished and hoped!:cry:
    Yes-after the lengthy TARDIS scenes of the Davison era, from the Trial season onwards we saw less and less of it. It didn't appear at all in the final series apart from one brief scene around the console in Battlefield part one, with the lights turned down to hide the fact that they actually didn't have the interior walls anymore.
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Yes, Ting - one of the many crimes about classic Who was the beeb's lack of action in the Dr Who department -they could plainly see it was in dire need of funding, but they did nothing about it, because Michael Grade and the like had already set it on course to crash. Criminal.

(Had the series continued, the production team would probably have been brave enough to request funding for a new title sequence, but not much else :()
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edge of Destruction is really atmospheric and claustrophobic. Love it!

The TARDIS bits of Invasion of Time are just weird ... the bit where
    a giant venus fly trap eats a Sontaran
    is mental!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, Ting - one of the many crimes about classic Who was the beeb's lack of action in the Dr Who department -they could plainly see it was in dire need of funding, but they did nothing about it, because Michael Grade and the like had already set it on course to crash. Criminal.

(Had the series continued, the production team would probably have been brave enough to request funding for a new title sequence, but not much else :()

That wouldn't have taken much funding. You could probably have knocked up better graphics than the McCoy era title sequence on a ZX81...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iafter the lengthy TARDIS scenes of the Davison era, from the Trial season onwards we saw less and less of it.

Surely this was at least partly due to the return to a single companion? Various Davison episodes had scenes with different companions talking to each other in the Tardis, often without the Doctor.
  • Options
    Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    addax wrote: »
    ... set entirely in the TARDIS ? - might be nice to have a look around
    Amy’s Choice was set entirely on the TARDIS. (The characters never left the TARDIS at least.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member
    Logopolis and Castrovalva are worth a watch if you want to see some more of the tardis interior.

Ooh I wonder if the cloister bell is still there?

*bonnngg*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

*bonnngg*

It is, you can hear it in TEH. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

*bonnngg*

It's been heard several times in recent years, so yes. I think it was last heard in The 11th Hour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member
    It is, you can hear it in TEH. :)

Hooray! *scampers off to watch TEH again*

Why does it take me about 5 watches of every episode to feel like I haven't missed summat?:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member

Regarding the Invasion of Time - they ran out of money during the making of this series and had to settle on using the interior of a disused mental hospital as the inside of the Tardis! This completely ruined the (6 part) story for me, as the sight of concrete staircases and brick interior walls looked nothing like a spaceship to me, and indeed nothing like the Tardis we know and love!

Also, I would agree with a previous poster that Logopolis and Castrovalva are probably the best stories with large elements set inside the Tardis, showing much more than just the control room.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hooray! *scampers off to watch TEH again*

Why does it take me about 5 watches of every episode to feel like I haven't missed summat?:o

Because there's a lot of small, incidental stuff crammed in which you tend not to notice on first watching. I like it.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Edge of Destruction is odd but a goody. For a while I thought Susan had been smoking something she shouldn't and it got in the air conditioners. Years ago my girlfriend ate some flapjacks her flatmate made and, being a bit naive, hadn't realised they were laced with something extra. Quite a lot extra, as it happens. I met her at her parent's place a little later (not knowing about the flapjacks). She went very edge-of-destruction. Her mum freaked, went all edge-of-destruction herself and started blaming me (in a Hartnelly way.) How we all laughed about it later! (Not.)

So I'm reminded of that lovely evening when I watch that episode.