The Americans (UK Pace)

Comments

• MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    Gulfam1 wrote: »
    The Cold War is just the theme of the show basically you could have a similar show based around the war on terror today, with sleeper agents etc. The show is mainly about the relationship between Philip and Elizabeth and them trying to live a 'normal' life all the while secretly serving their country
    True but the term "Cold War thriller" would be enough to turn many off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may seem like a silly question, but in the DS review of this show they refer to the children as 'not their own' - I must have missed this, was it confirmed last night then?
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    Heroes was the last US import I can remember on the BBC. I dunno why they stoped.
    Wasn't it down to political pressure to 'waste' less money on US imports. Funny to think how the BBC was the home of Star Trek in Britain for so long.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I watched this last night and enjoyed it, wasn't sure at first but got into it as it progressed and will definitely be watching next week.
    rokchik wrote: »
    This may seem like a silly question, but in the DS review of this show they refer to the children as 'not their own' - I must have missed this, was it confirmed last night then?

I didn't see anything in last night's episode to make us think that their children were not their own, in fact if anything exactly the opposite when they were talking in the flash backs and he said about them being expected to have children.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,055
    Forum Member
    I thought it was very promising. The first ten minutes were a mess though - I wonder how many casual viewers might have turned off during this sequence?

In terms of commercials. the reason it didn't contain many is that ITV are limited by OFCOM in how many commercials they can show in peak time (up to 11pm I think) - so they loaded most their peak time commercials into Britains Got Talent. The last commercial break during last night's show came after 11pm and was of a normal 3-4 minute length.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    LolaSvelt wrote: »
    Uh, what was wrong with it? I thought it was pretty damn good. I'm shocked ITV1 picked this up considering the shit they usually air.
    I'm Hooked. Gripping stuff, from the get go... loved the music too.:cool:

Reminded me a bit of Sleepers from 1991, on the BEEB.
    getzls wrote: »
    Was there anyone else in it apart from Keri Russell? Could not take my eyes of her.:D

Did seem pretty good to me.(THE SHOW I MEAN)
    Me too.;)

"Remember me Captain"
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    Was there anyone else in it apart from Keri Russell? Could not take my eyes of her.:D

Did seem pretty good to me.(THE SHOW I MEAN)

She's beautiful. She reminds me of a young Priscilla Presley. Did the police and FBI know that the kidnappers abducted the Russian agent in a vintage gold car? I thought they said the model of the car during the briefing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Wasn't it down to political pressure to 'waste' less money on US imports. Funny to think how the BBC was the home of Star Trek in Britain for so long.

That and (aside from BBC Three) they have a habit of picking ones that got cancelled. The BBC has just renewed the rights to the next season of Family Guy and Wilfred.

But I'd guess the most recent show they started to air was either Wilfred or Pan Am...
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The good thing is, that because of all the wigs they wear, we don't have to worry about Keri cutting her hair and jinxing the show. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She looked a bit too modern for a show which is supposed to be set in the 80's. Even the sets and period feel seem to be missing from this show.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,131
    Forum Member
    *Eileen* wrote: »
    I didn't see anything in last night's episode to make us think that their children were not their own, in fact if anything exactly the opposite when they were talking in the flash backs and he said about them being expected to have children.

Yes in one of the flashbacks think when they just arrived at the house in the US he was up for sex and she did not want it. Implying they had not slept together yet. So his reply was if we don't how do we produce the children we are expected to have.
    She's beautiful. She reminds me of a young Priscilla Presley. Did the police and FBI know that the kidnappers abducted the Russian agent in a vintage gold car? I thought they said the model of the car during the briefing?

Yes the briefing said they were looking for I think a gold 1977 Oldsmobile. Hence why at the end the FBI agent was rooting around their garage as he had seen earlier the exact model car when he went over to borrow the jump leads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Yes in one of the flashbacks think when they just arrived at the house in the US he was up for sex and she did not want it. Implying they had not slept together yet. So his reply was if we don't how do we produce the children we are expected to have.

Yes the briefing said they were looking for I think a gold 1977 Oldsmobile. Hence why at the end the FBI agent was rooting around their garage as he had seen earlier the exact model car when he went over to borrow the jump leads.

Yes I thought so thanks. That FBI agent must be pretty thick then if he didn't put 2 and 2 together and realised his new neighbour was the kidnapper and KGB agent. Is John Boy a regular character or just in the first episode? Great to see him back on TV. He hasn't changed much at all.
  • jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it ... except for the first ten minutes where the lighting was so bad I could hardly see what was going on. Matthew Rhys has a strange false-looking smile, and an intense glare, but I found myself looking at him all the time as he has quite a presence about him. I'll be watching it next week as I enjoy a spy story and the acting, so far, is good.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, well as a child of the 60s and 70s, I absolutely loved it, (after the rather bewildering first 10 minutes). :cool:

It's rather a shame that the 'yoof' element thinks it's irrelevant because it's set during the Cold War, but I really think they should watch it, if only as a history lesson, because the Cold War pretty much shaped the world as we have come to know it.

History aside, I think it's great to see something a bit different, and I am fascinated to see where the relationship between the two leads will go.

I have also loved Matthew Rhys since 'Brothers & Sisters'. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick question. Who was the guy having a solitary barbeque in his garden, that got beat up and stabbed by the guy with the tache? :confused: What was that about?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Quick question. Who was the guy having a solitary barbeque in his garden, that got beat up and stabbed by the guy with the tache? :confused: What was that about?

He was the perv who hit on his daughter in the department store.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was the perv who hit on his daughter in the department store.

Philip's daughter? Oops, must have missed that while I was assuming the adverts would be 5 mins long and missed some. :o So did Philip arrange for that guy to do it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Philip's daughter? Oops, must have missed that while I was assuming the adverts would be 5 mins long and missed some. :o So did Philip arrange for that guy to do it?

I think that guy was Philip in a disguise...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

What guy? That was Matthew Rhys wearing a disguise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that guy was Philip in a disguise...
    What guy? That was Matthew Rhys wearing a disguise.

OMG was it really? :o Sorry, I will be paying much more attention next week. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMG was it really? :o Sorry, I will be paying much more attention next week. :D

I flippin hope so. lol ;)
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I thought so thanks. That FBI agent must be pretty thick then if he didn't put 2 and 2 together and realised his new neighbour was the kidnapper and KGB agent. Is John Boy a regular character or just in the first episode? Great to see him back on TV. He hasn't changed much at all.

I'd imagine there were quite a few 1977 Oldsmobiles in the neighbourhood in 1981.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was Philip who did it. He was wearing one of his many disguises
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd imagine there were quite a few 1977 Oldsmobiles in the neighbourhood in 1981.

Maybe. But the report said there were certain stickers also on the car. And him being a top FBI agent would have used his instincts more and investigated it sooner. I thought it was quite poorly done.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have actually seen all thirteen episodes (can't reveal how).
    I advise all the doubters to stick with it, it gets so much better as it goes along. Look out for Annet Mahendru as Nina she is great in her role. For the poster who asked about 'John Boy', the answer is yes he is in all the episodes.