The Americans (UK Pace)

Comments

• OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maccadanny wrote: »
    I have actually seen all thirteen episodes (can't reveal how).
    I advise all the doubters to stick with it, it gets so much better as it goes along. Look out for Annet Mahendru as Nina she is great in her role. For the poster who asked about 'John Boy', the answer is yes he is in all the episodes.

Great news on all counts. I can't wait for next week already. :cool:

PS *whispers* are you Secret Squirrel? :eek:
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I advise all the doubters to stick with it, it gets so much better as it goes along. Look out for Annet Mahendru as Nina she is great in her role. For the poster who asked about 'John Boy', the answer is yes he is in all the episodes.

That's great thanks. Great to see a beloved face from the past making an appearance on TV again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the first episode, looking forward to the rest of the series,

I have just read the DS review, and they say that the couple don't have sex with each other, and their children were not their own. I didn't get that at all from the first episode - in the flashback scene she said "I'm not ready yet" to him, but I didn't get any indication that they had not had sex and that their chicken were not theirs :confused:

I very much got the impression that despite being thrown together as a couple by their mission, they now had a normal loving relationship with each other, having grown close over the years. This was born out by the fact that he killed the defector after she hinted that he had raped her.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked this , it had adult content but didn't just throw f words about for the sake of it .

how come ITV have bought this ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really liked this , it had adult content but didn't just throw f words about for the sake of it .

how come ITV have bought this ?

It was probably cheap. Well cheaper than other shows to buy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    lesleyanne wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the first episode, looking forward to the rest of the series,

I have just read the DS review, and they say that the couple don't have sex with each other, and their children were not their own. I didn't get that at all from the first episode - in the flashback scene she said "I'm not ready yet" to him, but I didn't get any indication that they had not had sex and that their chicken were not theirs :confused:

I very much got the impression that despite being thrown together as a couple by their mission, they now had a normal loving relationship with each other, having grown close over the years. This was born out by the fact that he killed the defector after she hinted that he had raped her.
    Having seen up to episode 10, I don't think that is true. Throughout the rest of the series (up to episode 10) the kids are refereed to as being her's and Philip's, so if that was an implication, it isn't particularly important for a while...
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    It was probably cheap. Well cheaper than other shows to buy.

Actually, no, it wasn't cheap at all. Quite the opposite. ITV would have had to win a bidding war to get this. The show was described as a "hot property" for UK buyers when the show hit the market.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Actually, no, it wasn't cheap at all. Quite the opposite. ITV would have had to win a bidding war to get this. The show was described as a "hot property" for UK buyers when the show hit the market.

How much was it?
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

has it been picked up for a second season ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    How much was it?

You only get exact figures when it's extortionately high, or Sky pulling a dick move (normally it's only extortionately high when Sky are pulling a dick move though)...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You only get exact figures when it's extortionately high, or Sky pulling a dick move (normally it's only extortionately high when Sky are pulling a dick move though)...

I very much doubt ITV would have paid a lot of money for it or that they were in a bidding war with Sky which they would most definitely lose if Sky was really interested in it.
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say I really enjoyed it. Not the usual thing I expect to see on ITV. I'm looking forward to more.
    Forum Member
    How much was it?

The sums NEVER get disclosed in these international sales deals. But the money is determined by a competitive bidding process. When only one UK channel is interested, the price will be cheap. The price goes higher the more UK broadcasters want it. I read that Sky, Channel 4 and Channel 5 all wanted The Americans, so ITV's bid would have had to be high enough to beat the bids from those three broadcasters.
    Forum Member
    I very much doubt ITV would have paid a lot of money for it or that they were in a bidding war with Sky which they would most definitely lose if Sky was really interested in it.

"Really interested" doesn't mean Sky is willing to pay any price at all. They have a lot of US shows. Missing out on The Americans was clearly not going to be THAT big a deal to them, if they missed out. ITV clearly wanted it MORE.
    Forum Member
    has it been picked up for a second season ?

Yes, it has.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    "Really interested" doesn't mean Sky is willing to pay any price at all. They have a lot of US shows. Missing out on The Americans was clearly not going to be THAT big a deal to them, if they missed out. ITV clearly wanted it MORE.

Well nobody would really know that unless they knew how much was bid and paid. That's just guessing.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Managed to miss it.

Disappointed there's no repeat ands its not on itv player. Bit pants
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    Was ITV's showing of the Americans in HD? I have freeview HD and the picture quality was very poor if it was a HD broadcast
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Was ITV's showing of the Americans in HD? I have freeview HD and the picture quality was very poor if it was a HD broadcast

It was on ITV HD but not sure if it was a HD quality broadcast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe that's why they got it cheap :p
  • Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So are the kids theirs?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So are the kids theirs?

They said they were last night. I don't know where the DS reviewer is getting this info from.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fleetwood Mac must be pleased, following on from "Everywhere" used in the "Pony" TV commercial, now some exposure for "Tusk," not one of their must popular albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEnClgFXbI
  • Evs814Evs814 Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Managed to miss it.

Disappointed there's no repeat ands its not on itv player. Bit pants

It is on ITV player. Just checked.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    Think it is in HD....but not great quality.
    So are the kids theirs?
    I'm guessing yes....but from a Loveless Marriage, but things seemed to be picking up, by the end of last nights episode.