Options

The Americans (UK Pace)

Comments

• Options
    newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    That's not much good for the majority of UK viewers though.

There are ways and means......
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but that all belongs in the US Pace thread. ;-)
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Yes but that all belongs in the US Pace thread. ;-)

I would normally agree, but on the basis that the only way the UK thread could continue is by discovering whatever the "ways and means" are think it is OK to discuss here.

Not that I am a great one for searching out any source other than broadcast channels (preferably free ones!). Good luck to anyone who tries! :)
  • Options
    P.RamleeP.Ramlee Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the benefit of UK viewers, what are the options of viewing if you don't want to subscribe to SKY?

Netflix, Amazon, watching FOX on a U.S. proxy server?
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I would normally agree, but on the basis that the only way the UK thread could continue is by discovering whatever the "ways and means" are think it is OK to discuss here.
    I suppose there's still a chance it may yet be picked up by a UK broadcaster, so probably best to wait and see first.

There's a US pace thread where the latest discussion (and spoilers!) can be found, so probably best it's all kept in there, at least for now. :)
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That’s good news (for those of us with ITV Encore anyway). I noticed that ITV Encore are repeating season 1 each weeknight at 11pm, starting tonight, but assumed it would just be the first two seasons that already aired on ITV.

I assume, and hope, that once they’ve finished the reruns (w/c 24/08 by my calculations) they will start season 3 in a more primetime slot and air it weekly.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, well done on ITV! You have really surprised me. ITV has one of the best shows in the world on their channel, who'd have thought?

This is incredible news for the fans.

I've only seen season 1 but now that seasons 1 and 2 are going to be repeated with season 3 following immediately after i can now catch up. Better get my Sky+ set up for series link!
  • Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,877
    Forum Member

Thanks for this, anyonefortennis. I enjoyed S1 and S2 but am not about to subscribe to Sky just to see S3 and S4. Will maybe catch up by some other means at a future date.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    AKFE wrote: »
    Thanks for this, anyonefortennis. I enjoyed S1 and S2 but am not about to subscribe to Sky just to see S3 and S4. Will maybe catch up by some other means at a future date.

I should have said starting later this summer as season 4 won't be shown until next year as it hasn't even aired in the US yet.
  • Options
    varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's available via NowTV; their Entertainment pass operates like a Netflix subscription for £6.99 (cheaper when buying multiple month passes).
  • Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,877
    Forum Member
    varsas wrote: »
    It's available via NowTV; their Entertainment pass operates like a Netflix subscription for £6.99 (cheaper when buying multiple month passes).

Many thanks. I will look into this.
  • Options
    actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Going to attempt this from the start, drifted off after the third episode originally and been kicking myself ever since
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the update.

I was giving up hope that it would ever get re-commissioned on ITV.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV Encore is only for SKY subscribers right? I canna see it on Freesat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    ITV Encore is only for SKY subscribers right? I canna see it on Freesat.

Sadly, only available on SKY and Now TV. Not available on Freeview.
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I subscribed to Amazon Prime last week as I noticed the first 2 seasons of The Americas are available to stream on their Prime Video service.

I hear it's a great show and notice it has been top of the Metacritic chart for a while now.
  • Options
    tweenietweenie Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Wow, well done on ITV! You have really surprised me. ITV has one of the best shows in the world on their channel, who'd have thought?

This is incredible news for the fans.

Not so great news for those of us that don't have Sky.
    I enjoyed S1 and S2 but am not about to subscribe to Sky just to see S3 and S4. Will maybe catch up by some other means at a future date.

Ditto
  • Options
    varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sooner than I expected, thanks for the head up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Good night to show it. A lot better than Saturday night.
  • Options
    Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member

Can't wait for this. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realise that the viewing figures were too low to continue the show on ITV - but why not move it to ITV2, 3 or 4? Actually, I was surprised it ever appeared on ITV, as it seemed a better fit on Channel 5 IMO.

I have no idea what the audience size is for ITV Encore, but assume that the figures for The Americans will be considerably below what was achieved on ITV.

I guess that I 'll have to remove this thread from My Subscriptions, as I don't want to hear discussions about a programme I am unable to watch (until it appears on DVD).
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    I realise that the viewing figures were too low to continue the show on ITV - but why not move it to ITV2, 3 or 4? Actually, I was surprised it ever appeared on ITV, as it seemed a better fit on Channel 5 IMO.

I have no idea what the audience size is for ITV Encore, but assume that the figures for The Americans will be considerably below what was achieved on ITV.

I guess that I 'll have to remove this thread from My Subscriptions, as I don't want to hear discussions about a programme I am unable to watch (until it appears on DVD).

I would've thought that FOX (UK) would be the obvious place for it, but (assuming they could afford it) I think it's worthy of BBC 2. (But as I get Encore - hey-ho).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was rumoured that a number of broadcasters were bidding for the programme originally, including Sky and Channel 4, but ITV won with the aim of it becoming their ‘Homeland’. Unfortunately that didn’t happen.

I can appreciate that for those without ITV Encore it’s frustrating now not being able to watch it, but in all likelihood once ITV dropped it it was unlikely to get picked up by another free to view channel (my guess was Sky Atlantic or FOX).
    ITV only changed their mind because they are slightly reimaging ITV Encore (because it’s been a rating failure in my opinion) to include US content. There was never really a possibility of it just moving to ITV2, 3 or 4 (and to be honest, it wouldn’t have fit on ITV2 or 4 anyway).

ITV Encore gets very low ratings, so The Americans will get very low ratings. But if it can prove itself to be popular on ITV Encore then there’s a good change ITV will consider it a success this second time round despite getting even lower ratings. It’s all about expectations, and being originally place in primetime on Saturday night ITV the expectations were always going to be almost impossible for The Americans to be considered a success.