What Does Leona Need To Do Next? ..

12346»

Comments

• ariella52ariella52 Posts: 7,519
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    I don't see them releasing anything either way. Alexandra's RCA bomb was quickly swept up and thrown in the bin and she's still signed (and posing for pictures backstage at XF USA with Syco's Global Head of Media).

I posted this in LLAT but it's relevant to this thread...

I was reading about 1D being signed way back - basically executives from Sony UK labels, including Syco, pitched to Simon Cowell. They all presented ideas and Cowell picked the one he liked best - which came from his recently appointed Marketing Director at Syco (who had never worked in music before!). That same guy with the same plan is still running the whole 1D show.

This kind of thing might suit Leona just now - if lots of labels were allowed to put forward their vision for what to do with her, one of them with some enthusiasm and vision is picked and they do it. A clear strategy for album number four. With realistic budgeting (lots of London producers and writers, no US trips), a set timeframe and clear vision for what the final product will sound like and how the Leona "brand" will look. Something that takes advantage of her voice and a believable image for her.

Realistically I don't see them putting out a third single from this album (which would be the fourth in the "contract period" because Collide will be included). I was talking about what they should be doing for album number four. In which case it's best not to muddy the waters further with Glassheart, tbh. Even if it gets a release, there's no money to promote it and Capital/R1 clearly don't have any interest at this point so it would probably just be a waste of time.

If they were going to do Glassheart the time was at the start of the campaign and have the whole album and branding based around that kind of music and image and a clear message that that's where Leona was going with her music. Although I'm not convinced people would have bought it with Leona - they seemed to like her as "girl next door".

I have given this further though since you posted in the Appreciation Thread. I think that people do warm to Leona as the girl next door. She will never hit the really sexy Rihanna style market, but she is far from unattractive herself in a more wholesome, maybe old fashioned way.

But it is her voice that sells too. Come Alive and Glassheart both have tremendous vocals and use her soaring voice, just over a dub step sound. Look at how Come Alive was performed and received last week in Birmingham by an audience who would not know the song.

http://youtu.be/eo5zhfBgA-A

Leona looks very confident and totally herself and the audience can be seen to warm to the song. She can modernise without trying to be something she isn't.
  • ariella52ariella52 Posts: 7,519
    Forum Member
    Double post.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    But they had her performing on TV shows with Lovebird and what happened? Nothing. She's not gonna get booked for shows like BGT, Jonathan Ross, Graham Norton, Dancing On Ice with a string of flop singles to her name.

I agree they should've released more singles after I Got You, atleast she had a decent radio profile then and radio would've been accepting to another single. Accept now, commercial radio doesn't want to play a Leona Lewis record. She has zero support from any radio stations. Even Radio 2 aren't interested. The damage has been done this era. No point flogging a dead horse anymore. Push for Glassheart, if radio still isn't interested, cut the losses and move on.

Well if she releases nothing she's not going to get on any show, at least with releasing tracks there is a chance. But I do think the odds are nothing will happen.

Leona needs to force the issue in my view, either Sycrap let her go this year whilst she's still got a chance at getting a 1 album deal off someone (none of this farting around in a studio for months, just do a live album, as others said either with a band or an unplugged type album) or they agree to perhaps get some better material for her but have to come out with something in late 2013 or early 2014.

I'm doubtful of that, Cowell is ruthless and if he's not making money he's not a happy man. If he really does like Leona as is claimed the nicest thing would be to let her go this year ASAP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm doubtful of that, Cowell is ruthless and if he's not making money he's not a happy man. If he really does like Leona as is claimed the nicest thing would be to let her go this year ASAP.

i do feel sorry for her. It seems like she is not Syco/Simon's main prority. And it seems like he is signing people from xfactor USA, so maybe she has moved more down his list. Who knows?

Maybe have her move Label that appreciate her and start all over? A fresh start is always good, right?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP why does she have to have a smash hit single? Lots of artists have had wonderful lengthy careers without having many of those. A smash hit does not equal quality, more often than not it's the opposite. She is an artist so she just needs to keep putting out good music, whether that be with her current label, on a brand new label or even independently. Her most recent album was very encouraging as regards showing her true artistry and growth so she needs to build on that.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    just promote a single release in the uk, Aus or America... that is the key ..... say this is the new single.... promote it...release a good video... promote it .... thats all the fans ask
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP why does she have to have a smash hit single? Lots of artists have had wonderful lengthy careers without having many of those. A smash hit does not equal quality, more often than not it's the opposite. She is an artist so she just needs to keep putting out good music, whether that be with her current label, on a brand new label or even independently. Her most recent album was very encouraging as regards showing her true artistry and growth so she needs to build on that.

I so agree with this..but unfortunately she does need to make money for her record label. I actually think Glassheart is her best album yet..I don't really care if she never has another Bleeding Love but I do want her to keep releasing music.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    just promote a single release in the uk, Aus or America... that is the key ..... say this is the new single.... promote it...release a good video... promote it .... thats all the fans ask

You're correct. And I think getting the single all over radio is by FAR the best way to promote the song.

Lots of the biggest hits in recent years sold solely off radio and an average music video. Look at Give Me Everything, 3 weeks at #1, 12 weeks in the top 10, almost sold a million, and Pitbull and Ne-Yo never set foot in the country. It's been so massive because of radio. The music video isn't anything special either.

Or look at Airplanes. B.o.B and Hayley Williams never came to the UK to promote it, it was all radio and an average music video that was needed.

There's quite a few other examples, but you get the point.
  • MargueriteMarguerite Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    You're correct. And I think getting the single all over radio is by FAR the best way to promote the song.

QUOTE]

But the radio stations don't want to know, that's the problem, they won't play her. Whether that's because they're not impressed with her music or they just see her as irrelevant, who knows, but it's obvious that unless she gets airplay, she'll continue to have poor sales.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    That's probably about right. Although Modest must take some as well, I'm still not sure what those idiot actually do.

Modest does nothing, they are ... just modest! Modest is as clueless as Syco, just marketing people with no knowledge in music. The whole marketing idiots are ruining the music business.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona is in quite an awkward position.

I think people are so used to her style of music that if she tries anything different she can be accused of 'trying too hard' (e.g. Collide). Likewise, if she does something which sounds like a 'Leona song' she is accused of being 'boring' (e.g. Lovebirds).
    Forum Member
    Be interesting to know what she thinks (not that we will hear of course). I hear that a lot of celebs don't read the press and just surround themselves with yes men. Be interesting though as even her label, incompetent as they are must be shocked by the low number of sales.

If they were disappointed by Collide (what were the sales for that by the way?) they're in for a shock now.

Be interesting to see what she sings on her tour though, that's if it still goes ahead, I'd love to know what the ticket sales are like, can't be that good I'd have thought.
  • spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be interesting to see what she sings on her tour though, that's if it still goes ahead, I'd love to know what the ticket sales are like, can't be that good I'd have thought.

Tour is sold out, including both of the Royal Albert Hall dates.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be interesting to know what she thinks (not that we will hear of course). I hear that a lot of celebs don't read the press and just surround themselves with yes men. Be interesting though as even her label, incompetent as they are must be shocked by the low number of sales.

If they were disappointed by Collide (what were the sales for that by the way?) they're in for a shock now.

The tour is doing really well I believe, alot of the dates are sold out or close to selling out. This is just second hand information though, I having personally checked. lol
  • BarleyBarley Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    She needs to improve her diction.
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bottom line is. She doesn't have the swagger.

Yes she is an amazing vocalist, and with the right song, she could have a few hits if the song is pushed enough and radio friendly enough.

When Bleeding Love (which is a bloody good pop song) was released, it was fresh and Simon unleashed her on Oprah. After that US radios went crazy with the song. The rest of the world followed suit.
  • soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, I remember when Leona came out with Bleeding Love, and lots of people were saying the song was rubbish but it was Leona's vocals that made it special, now people are saying it the other way round.

BL is not my favourite track from Leona, but she is special to me, and a joy to watch on tour, I really hope she gets dropped from Syco and picked up from another label, as I have said before, my music world would be a sadder place without Leona. Personally, I do not believe this is the end, no she is not a one hit wonder, I am not coming out with all the facts & figures and I am still sure she will be there for us who like her music for many years to come.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Marguerite wrote: »
    Eric_Blob wrote: »

QUOTE]

But the radio stations don't want to know, that's the problem, they won't play her. Whether that's because they're not impressed with her music or they just see her as irrelevant, who knows, but it's obvious that unless she gets airplay, she'll continue to have poor sales.

This without radio airplay, other than the hard-core fans, no one else will be aware she even has music out. Leona's situation isn't that bad at least she has another top five album under her list of achievements so there is still some buzz around her. Radio is not her on side but the media always seem to be complimenting her and I think it'd be wise to use that as a strategy for the next release
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member

Yes she is an amazing vocalist, and with the right song, she could have a few hits if the song is pushed enough and radio friendly enough.

When Bleeding Love (which is a bloody good pop song) was released, it was fresh and Simon unleashed her on Oprah. After that US radios went crazy with the song. The rest of the world followed suit.

What's swagger? Are you kidding? Leona must be sold the people who like music and not to the deaf kiddies who buy every digital rubbish as long as One Direction is written on the CD.
    Forum Member

That's not quite right, she was getting attention in the US whilst on the X-Factor, back in the early days of Youtube in fact.

Bottom line is, Cowell is like the Captain of the Titanic, she's steered her career right into an iceberg. The man is a prat of the highest order.