Step by step instructions: Keeping your mobile number and moving to another network

13»

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I left O2 for Three a few months ago, and kept my number.

I obtained the PAC from O2, and then signed up with Three.

After I received my new phone and Three SIM, I inserted the SIM and activated it.

Then I contacted Three and provided the PAC plus other details required (no. I wanted to keep, temp. Three number I didn't want, SIM no., etc.).

It only took a day or two to go through, IIRC. The number moved to the Three SIM, and the O2 SIM died.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Matt.

So I just order my brand new phone and contract - then call them to transfer my old number?

Also - I'd have to get the timing exactly right wouldnt I? I mean I have to give O2 a month's notice to cancel the contract I think. So I have to keep the number with them until the contract expires. So I may end up having two contracts running simultaneously for a little while.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hyena wrote: »
    Thanks Matt.

So I just order my brand new phone and contract - then call them to transfer my old number?

Yup.
    hyena wrote: »
    Also - I'd have to get the timing exactly right wouldnt I? I mean I have to give O2 a month's notice to cancel the contract I think. So I have to keep the number with them until the contract expires. So I may end up having two contracts running simultaneously for a little while.

DO NOT CANCEL!

Using the PAC = cancellation.

You don't need to contact O2 and actually cancel, you just give the PAC to the new network.

Once the PAC is used by the new network, that acts as cancellation of the previous contract with the old network.

The PAC lasts for 30 days. If it's not used in that time it expires and the contract continues, unless/until you request and make use of another PAC.

But yeah, there may be timing issues depending on where you are in your contract (if you haven't reached the minimum term you have to pay off the remaining months) and where you are in your billing period.