Options

EE Wifi Calling

Comments

• Options
    ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be interesting to see how it handles BT WiFi with Fon hotpots which connect automatically but need further log on details.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    If one was to use the Internet whilst connected to wifi calling (in standby) would it use the data allowance on the plan or just use the wifi as it would now ?

Yeah, as uno says, unlike a signal box (which is voice text and data over 3G), WiFi calling will ONLY be used for voice and text.
    It's carrier grade using IMS and so totally transparent to the end user.
    Anyone know what symbol the iPhone and others will show at the top of the screen to denote WiFi calling? I would assume the standard signal bars/dots but with perhaps "EEwifi" or something similar??
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Anyone know what symbol the iPhone and others will show at the top of the screen to denote WiFi calling? I would assume the standard signal bars/dots but with perhaps "EEwifi" or something similar??

Screen shots from the USA show "T-mobile WiFi" as the network name and the standard signal dots and WiFi symbol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guessed correctly! : )
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guessed correctly! : )
    Thanks.

Here is a useful article showing how T-Mobile USA customers with 5c, 5s, 6 and 6 Plus owners can use WiFi calling:
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/10/06/how-to-use-t-mobile-wi-fi-calling-on-the-iphone/

Sadly the iPhone 4s and 5 are not usable, but they were in the betas of iOS 8 - its not clear why. Or what affect that might have with EE's offering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very interesting. Thank you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very interesting. Thank you.

NP, nice to see you're getting better signal down there - I have a colleague in IvyBridge who will be please too. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jchamier wrote: »
    NP, nice to see you're getting better signal down there - I have a colleague in IvyBridge who will be please too. :)

Unfortunately they haven't got quite as far as Ivybridge although it is now as far as the Tesco store at Lee Mill which is one mast from Ivybridge.
    Should be soon though.
  • Options
    wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a useful article showing how T-Mobile USA customers with 5c, 5s, 6 and 6 Plus owners can use WiFi calling:
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/10/06/how-to-use-t-mobile-wi-fi-calling-on-the-iphone/

Sadly the iPhone 4s and 5 are not usable, but they were in the betas of iOS 8 - its not clear why. Or what affect that might have with EE's offering.

Also says in that article that the 5c and 5s cant switch from wifi to the mobile network during a call
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No iPhone 5?
    Hmmm, better order that 6 tomorrow then!
  • Options
    Smurf001Smurf001 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the information that potentially we will not be able to use the older iPhones for wifi calling.

That's one of the bits of information I was keen on having confirmation of from EE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Smurf001 wrote: »
    Thanks for the information that potentially we will not be able to use the older iPhones for wifi calling.
    That's one of the bits of information I was keen on having confirmation of from EE.

Don't forget that when iOS 8 was in beta that T-Mobile USA customers with older phones (4S, 5) could use WiFi calling, but that stopped when iOS 8 was released. I assume this was a business decision by T-Mobile USA - and if so EE could be completely different

Something else is that T-Mobile USA let you use WiFi calling when you are in another country for free (to call back to USA numbers) - but its reported that EE won't let you use WiFi calling when you are not in the UK.

Until EE launch its all guesswork - keep watching the site:
    http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/wifi-calling
  • Options
    dabotsonlinedabotsonline Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    ozz wrote: »
    Would a call initiated on the mobile network handover to Wi-Fi when in range of my home router?

Here's an official answer:
    I spoke to EE, the first network operator to offer Wi-Fi calling in the UK, about whether its service will seamlessly switch between cellular and Wi-Fi networks.

An EE spokesperson informed me that at launch the service will not be able to handover seamlessly, however this will be enabled as part of 'phase two', which will launch in 2015.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here's an official answer:

That's probably when 4G calling (VoLTE) launches which uses the same network back-end services (IMS) as WiFi calling.
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's probably when 4G calling (VoLTE) launches which uses the same network back-end services (IMS) as WiFi calling.

Yep. Handover from wifi to cellular requires VoLTE to be in place. Since EE are launching wifi calling this year but VoLTE next year this is why they say handover will not be in place until next year.
  • Options
    erreaerrea Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    Just to add - I've used 3 In Touch app and it is far superior to the O2 TuGo app.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    japaul wrote: »
    Yep. Handover from wifi to cellular requires VoLTE to be in place. Since EE are launching wifi calling this year but VoLTE next year this is why they say handover will not be in place until next year.

Ok, so does that mean it will only hand over to 4G or will it be able to hand over to 2G/3G as well?
    Does 3G use IMS? Or is it just 4G, I can't remember.
    If so, will it be the case that WiFi calling would hand over to 3G/4G but not 2G?
    I'm overcomplicating this question aren't I? :)
    You know where I'm coming from though.
    thanks.
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Handover to VoLTE only which implies handover to 4G only. Not to 3G/2G.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They better get that 800Mhz rolled out asap then.
    Oh, and crank the power up on 1800Mhz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just wondering whether anyone on here with EE has an iPhone 6 and is already able to use wifi calling?

I was speaking to an EE level 2 advisor about a different issue yesterday and because he was being helpful I asked him if he knew anything about EE wifi calling. He said it was already up and running for people with iphone 6's but there were still a few issues that Apple needed to resolve. He said if I was to buy an iPhone 6 with EE I would be able to use wifi calling straight away.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I've not seen it on mine.. so no it's not. It is however working, just not publicly available hence the advisors confusion.. some staff have been using it for awhile now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The advisor was insistent that customers were using it. He said that he had taken a call from customers that morning who were having problems with it as when someone called his iPhone 6 that his wife's iPhone 5s with a different number also rang. I did try saying that on the EE website it states 'coming soon' but he was insistent that it was already released to customers. From what you are saying that is not the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Smurf001 wrote: »
    The advisor was insistent that customers were using it.

I wonder if it will arrive with iOS 8.1 on Monday evening then? You can be an Apple tester and have iOS 8.1 beta versions already.

Most likely I suspect its just EE staff and people they don't know are staff using it !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you are probably correct about it being staff ringing in for support. I'm sure if it was live we would have heard more about it.
  • Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely not live on EE for normal customers yet as there's no option within settings to enable WiFi calling (17.1 carrier version).