Zoe Quinn and the corruption in video games media/journalism....

Comments

• DuckSeasonDuckSeason Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VDUBster wrote: »
    I find it hilarious when people like you come in with your opinion, which is always massively uninformed.

Of course GamerGate is about harassing women...
    That's why the women involved, woh supposedly are being harassed by GamerGate get no where near the number of mentions that 'GamerGate' does.
    Since you won't believe me I will post the trend data.

Zoe Quinn
    Searched the terms "#GamerGate" & "@theQuinnSpiracy" & "Zoe Quinn" on Topsy.
    Topsy only shows the data for the past month.
    http://topsy.com/analytics?q1=%23gamergate&q2=%40thequinnspiracy&q3=Zoe%20Quinn&via=Topsy

Searched the terms "GamerGate" & "Zoe Quinn" on Google Trends.
    Google trends allow you to view data over months, I have set it so show from Aug '14 to present.
    http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=gamergate%2C%20Zoe%20quinn&date=7%2F2014%208m&cmpt=q&tz=

Anita Sarkeesian
    Searched the terms "#GamerGate" & "@femfreq" & "Anita Sarkeesian" on Topsy.
    http://topsy.com/analytics?q1=%23gamergate&q2=%40femfreq&q3=Anita%20Sarkeesian&via=Topsy

Searched the terms "GamerGate" & "Anita Sarkeesian" on Google Trends.
    http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=gamergate%2C%20Anita%20Sarkeesian&date=7%2F2014%208m&cmpt=q&tz=

Brianna Wu
    Searched the terms "#GamerGate" & "@spacekatgal" & "Brianna Wu" on Topsy.
    http://topsy.com/analytics?q1=%23gamergate&q2=%40spacekatgal&q3=Brianna%20Wu&via=Topsy

Searched the terms "GamerGate" & "Brianna Wu" on Google Trends.
    http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=gamergate%2C%20Brianna%20Wu&date=7%2F2014%208m&cmpt=q&tz=

Notice how all three of them all trend far lower than GamerGate does (apart from Zoe initially, although she stopped trending a GamerGate started).

If GamerGate was really about harassing them then would they all trend at the same level as GamerGate? Or at least rise and fall at the same time the use of the GamerGate tag does.

Even the data I provided isn't 100% accurate because it takes into account all of the spambot posting of Articles and videos, and all of the apologetic replies Anita got after she posted the 100+ screenshots which she claimed were from 'Gamers' despite having no proof to back that up.

Simple fact is Brianna Wu & Anita Sarkeesian are involved in GamerGate not because they are victims of it, but because they both want to be for the publicity it gives them.

Neither of them were well known prior to GamerGate, and both of them are now known to more thanks to them being involved.

Just look at the Interest in them spike spike when they got themselves involved.
    Brianna: http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=gamergate%2C%20Brianna%20Wu&date=today%2012-m&cmpt=q&tz=
    Anita: http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=gamergate%2C%20Anita%20Sarkeesian&date=today%2012-m&cmpt=q&tz=

What confuses me is why Brianna wants to be involved, other than the obvious financial gain she is receiving because of it, but Anita's intentions are very clear.
    She is using it to further her own anti-Game agenda.

Real convincing - only providing data from 1st Jan 2015. You're a Gator - I'm sure even you know that the whole thing started last August.

I'm not even going to bother with the "they brought it upon themselves because publicity" bollocks - that is a classic misogynist victim-blaming tactic it isn't even worth my time because you have absolutely no evidence to prove it other than your own hatred for the individuals concerned. You are seriously warped if you think the torrent of abuse Gamergate's targets have received was done deliberately by the victims because they wanted "publicity". A classic conspiracy Gators are so fond of peddling - with no evidence at all to back it up.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DuckSeason wrote: »
    Real convincing - only providing data from 1st Jan 2015. You're a Gator - I'm sure even you know that the whole thing started last August.

Did you just click the first link? The Google analytics start from July.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you just click the first link? The Google analytics start from July.

We're talking about Twitter statistics - not Google searches - which really don't prove anything. I could've googled GamerGate a few times, but it doesn't say anything about what I think of the movement. This was an analysis Newsweek presented:

http://www.newsweek.com/gamergate-about-media-ethics-or-harassing-women-harassment-data-show-279736

Sarkeesian and Wu (neither of whom are journalists) are by far the most tweeted at. The actual journalist (Grayson) received a paltry amount in comparison. Topsy is not a good site to use either - VDU can just use it in whatever way he sees fit without giving a methodology or explaination. The people at BrandWatch (who did the Newsweek study) conducted some proper research. His search into Topsy doesn't cover nearly enough parameters to get a good sample of what constitutes a GG tweet directed at the women in questionl
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're talking about Twitter statistics - not Google searches - which really don't prove anything.

Who said they were only talking about Twitter?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who said they were only talking about Twitter?

Because my post posed the question in the first place - he is trying to answer my original point. This is a hashtag on a public social media site for goodness sake, where else do you think I'm talking about?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because my post posed the question in the first place - he is trying to answer my original point. This is a hashtag on a public social media site for goodness sake, where else do you think I'm talking about?

The post he replied to didn't pose any question, it was just a long diatribe of your hatred of gamergate.

The article you linked and from what i've read so far, is trash btw.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rooting out bias in Wikipedia as a few mere examples is "unacceptable" and "toxic"?

By "rooting out bias" you mean "banning feminists from contributing", right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The post he replied to didn't pose any question, it was just a long diatribe of your hatred of gamergate.

The article you linked and from what i've read so far, is trash btw.

And yet you won't elaborate on why it's trash. A very common theme of you Gators - making jibes at me or attempting to discredit my arguments with no substance or detail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And yet you won't elaborate on why it's trash. A very common theme of you Gators - making jibes at me or attempting to discredit my arguments with no substance or detail.

I havent finished it yet. I've got a few bits but i'll get back to you. :)
  • Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bah i wake up and the mangina's come out from the shadows to suckle on the teet of feminism.

Ah wells it's given me a laugh at least. If i wasn't lazy i would post articles and so on but i'll leave that to the others who would do a much better job at it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your doing that all by yourself we don't need to do it for you
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyclaw726 wrote: »
    Bah i wake up and the mangina's come out from the shadows to suckle on the teet of feminism.

Ethics in journalism?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They provide nice info-graphics to prove the point that gamergate is about harassing women instead of ethics in journalism

They point to Zoe Quinn and Nathan Grayson and the disparity between them.

In August Zoe Quinn received about 3000 tweets,Nathan Grayson and Kotaku, the outfit he is a journalist for received almost 7000.

The conclusion? Harass Women.

The second claim.

Leigh Alexander wrote a critical piece mocking gaming culture. She received 13,000 tweets with the gamergate hashtag.

The conclusion? People want to harass women and aren't tweeting at people who are critical of gaming culture. Either in support, or negatively.

And finally.

Brianna Wu: 39,000 tweets - 10% negative,

Anita Sarkesian: 35,000 tweets - 5% negative.

Kotaku and Nathan Grayson received more negative tweets (as a percentage) than Brianna Wu or Anita Sarkeesian.

However, They are both women, so if you combine them together they received more negative tweets than Kotaku and Nathan Grayson.
  • RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skyclaw726 wrote: »

Ah wells it's given me a laugh at least. If i wasn't lazy i would post articles and so on but i'll leave that to the others who would do a much better job at it.

Yea, duckseason always is comedy gold. He/she does a great job of proving gamergaters point about what they say about some of the more extreme anti gamergaters. I was considering reporting him for insulting people, but leaving him to rant away is a much better idea :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The conclusion? Lies, damned lies and statistics.
  • VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about you get off of your high horse and actually look at the links.

The Topsy links only show one month because that is all it allows you to view. That is not my fault.

The Google Trend links however allow you to go further back and they are actually set to show the data from July 2014 before it started up until February 2015.

I even stated this in the post itself.

I am someone that found about this subject from this very thread, and I started reading about it and finding information out.
    I'm not even going to bother with the "they brought it upon themselves because publicity" bollocks - that is a classic misogynist victim-blaming tactic it isn't even worth my time because you have absolutely no evidence to prove it other than your own hatred for the individuals concerned.
    Wow just wow, you have some serious anger issues.

Considering #GamerGate started from the Zoepost, and surrounded Zoe and what happened between her and those who she had relations (not just sexual but friendships and professional) how would they get involved in it if they didn't involve themselves, especially when both of them were complete no-ones to nearly everybody!

Don't jump down my throat because I have taken the time to actual research the subject properly before coming to an opinion by it.

I really don't appreciate you branding me a misogynist either simply because I aren't willing to paint them are blameless victims. I am not a misogynist and I dislike them because of their sh!tty attitudes and actions not because they are women.
    But then this is what you idiots do, accuse everyone who dares to not tow the 'poor victim' line as a sexist and a misogynist.

The only person I actually knew about prior to this month is Anita Sarkeesian, I have seen someone of her utter crap videos, they are so riddled with inaccuracies on purpose to make them suit her anti-Video game and anti-Male Feminist agenda it is unbelievable.
    Her and her puppet master Jonathon got nearly $450,000 last year, and they still couldn't produce their crappy videos on time and had the gall to blame amovement that didn't exist until a long time after the videos deadline passed. They are just con artists.
    You are seriously warped if you think the torrent of abuse Gamergate's targets have received was done deliberately by the victims because they wanted "publicity".
    They aren't targets if they were everything said about GamerGate would be about them! But if you look they are only ever brought up when they say something inflammatory on Twitter to invoke a reaction.

Both of them would be unknowns if they didn't get involved in this, and Brianna Wu wouldn't be received thousands of dollars each month.
    A classic conspiracy Gators are so fond of peddling - with no evidence at all to back it up.
    Whats all that above then? Maybe if you people who are opposed to GamerGate actually opened your damn eyes and read things then maybe you wouldn't accuse people of things they didn't actually do when trying to

TBH I don't really care about your opinion after the abuse you have just flung at me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, duckseason always is comedy gold. He/she does a great job of proving gamergaters point about what they say about some of the more extreme anti gamergaters. I was considering reporting him for insulting people, but leaving him to rant away is a much better idea :D

Ah, the Gators have come crawling out like insects. Glad my posts have riled you all up - absolute comedy gold to see. More jibes I see as well, too bad you're all too cowardly to actually engage in the discussion. Typical really. Skyclaw's even got the anime avatar to match! Adorable.

Do your worst mate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They provide nice info-graphics to prove the point that gamergate is about harassing women instead of ethics in journalism

They point to Zoe Quinn and Nathan Grayson and the disparity between them.

In August Zoe Quinn received about 3000 tweets,Nathan Grayson and Kotaku, the outfit he is a journalist for received almost 7000.

The conclusion? Harass Women.

How disappointing. You do absolutely nothing to debunk the Newsweek research, and instead every single one of those figures you posted are completely made up with no source. I expected better.
    The second claim.

Leigh Alexander wrote a critical piece mocking gaming culture. She received 13,000 tweets with the gamergate hashtag.
    No she didn't. She was commenting on the fact that "gamer" as an identity was pointless because everyone plays games now - we're all effectively gamers. She pointed out that the stereotype of gamers being nerdy basement-dwellers that the mainstream media used to categorise them as was completely outdated. It wasn't at all mockery, and as a gamer myself I agreed largely with what it said. If you felt "attacked" by it, frankly that's your problem. The GamerGate crowd wilfully misread the article just to go on a witch hunt. The only people she was attacking were the ones overreacting to the initial scandal (plus the ones perpetrating the abuse) - if that's you then that's your problem, not hers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How disappointing. You do absolutely nothing to debunk the Newsweek research, and instead every single one of those figures you posted are completely made up with no source. I expected better.

They're from your article, dingbat.

I don't need to debunk it. Their own data does it for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're from your article, dingbat.

I don't need to debunk it. Their own data does it for me.

You mentioned only the tweets in August (providing figures that simply are not present in the article) - the article looks at a much wider time frame than that. I'm afraid you're trying too hard to twist the evidence to suit your argument when it's plain there for all to see. I'll let the sensible people read it and draw their own conclusions, while the rest of you Gators can carry on desperately spinning the evidence on a PR exercise to cover up your movement's true motives. Bye.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mentioned only the tweets in August (providing figures that simply are not present in the article) - the article looks at a much wider time frame than that. I'm afraid you're trying too hard to twist the evidence to suit your argument when it's plain there for all to see. I'll let the sensible people read it and draw their own conclusions, while the rest of you Gators can carry on desperately spinning the evidence on a PR exercise to cover up your movement's true motives. Bye.

http://s.newsweek.com/sites/www.newsweek.com/files/styles/embedded_full/public/2014/10/24/gamergatetargets.jpg?itok=laZDFX3H

http://s.newsweek.com/sites/www.newsweek.com/files/styles/embedded_full/public/2014/10/24/sentimenttotalpercent.jpg?itok=dQ1LTKkZ

http://s.newsweek.com/sites/www.newsweek.com/files/styles/embedded_full/public/2014/10/24/sentimentvolume.jpg?itok=eySg1iIE

If you are going to post something as evidence for your claim then it might be a good idea to understand it so that when people i.e me challenge it you know wtf i'm talking about.

Whilst it is true their info-graphics look at more than just tweets in august, the only time I mentioned that month was in relation to their claims about Zoe Quinn, Nathan Grayson and Kotaku.

It's the first link just in case the "sensible people" can't figure it out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, the Gators have come crawling out like insects. Glad my posts have riled you all up - absolute comedy gold to see. More jibes I see as well, too bad you're all too cowardly to actually engage in the discussion. Typical really. Skyclaw's even got the anime avatar to match! Adorable.

Do your worst mate.

It's from a video game not that you would know that. I suppose i also have a Waifu? because liking anime somehow makes our points less valid.
  • AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes duckseason does seem a little unhinged to put it mildly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes duckseason does seem a little unhinged to put it mildly.

Too much time on tumblr will do that to a human.
  • RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do your worst mate.

I don't really need to do much. All i or anybody needs to say is "i support gamergate" and just sit back and watch you make a fool of yourself like you do in every gamergate thread. Its been a common trend the last year for extreme feminists to make themselves look silly though. From the #endfathersday hoax to gamergate to shirtgate ect
This discussion has been closed.