Samsung Galaxy S6 a radical redesign

Comments

• slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ripping off HTC sense look a bit. Even camera interface looks similar.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Samsung are going after Apple users rather than their original users.

I think so. I also think they are going to be disappointed.

The S6 is just another 'me too' phone with nothing exceptional about it - apart from the bonkers price.

I wonder if the Note 5 will be ruined as well.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samsung are going after Apple users rather than their original users.

Yes that's what all the leaks had suggested. Guess they have done some market research telling them iPhone users will love this but you will piss some people off with no SD card and sealed battery but they aren't a big enough slice of the market worry about.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    The edge and gear vr are without doubt big pluses I do like, though.

Not sure ignoring how they got here is wise though and I think the sd/battery market section may be quite large.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is there is so much speculation and leaks on the net now a good 6 months before the product when it's finally revealed its a let down. We are too familiar with it.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm due an upgrade but I'm not gonna bother with any of HTC M9 or Samsung S6. Going sim only and hang on to my Oneplus One.

Perhaps see what the Oneplus 2 is like when it's out.
  • makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I like it....

Will probably go for the 6 and not the edge though as the edge looks a bit thicker?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I like it....

Will probably go for the 6 and not the edge though as the edge looks a bit thicker?

I would go for one but above flaws I hate mean I wont be getting one.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've never seen the original edge, but the new one doesn't appear to have a very curved screen. It may just be the way the pictures look.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    As for the edge version. Why?? What is the benefit?

Another €100 profit for Samsung (okay, not all of that as the screen must cost more, but you see what I mean).

The Huawei watch shown today looks good. Everything else, meh meh meh. Samsung meh 6, HTC meh 9....

:)
    Forum Member
    Not that enamored by the things removed but in fairness the phones are certainly representative of cutting edge spec, design etc unlike some others
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Not that enamored by the things removed but in fairness the phones are certainly representative of cutting edge spec, design etc unlike some others

Desperate:)
    Forum Member
    desperate for what :confused:
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the flaws of the iPhone 4 is not a step forward so will give this a miss!

Going to stick with my Note 4 for sure now, the only advantages it has over the Iphone is that it doesn't need jailbreaking for improved user experience. Other than that it is a really disappointing reveal.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Appearance wise it's very iPhone 4 ft iPhone 6.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the top of any specs now. So what more do people want? I am disappointed about the lack of a SD slot but can't put any other phone currently available above this.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    victor mel wrote: »
    It is the top of any specs now. So what more do people want? I am disappointed about the lack of a SD slot but can't put any other phone currently available above this.

Huawei, Xiaomi, LG & others have phones above this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    No removable battery pfft
    Forum Member
    Huawei, Xiaomi, LG & others have phones above this.

Not sure about that, the phone in fairness is very cutting edge. Taking into account the screen, camera, speed, edge design I would struggle to think of anything better.

Of course the omissions are what some people will be annoyed about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Graeme89 wrote: »
    No removable battery pfft

Lest see how iFixit teardown goes but I don't see any screws so probably going to be a difficult job >:(
  • Tariq_ali1Tariq_ali1 Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Quick thoughts

Edge version should have been standard, and included SD card slot.

A second "active" version with removable battery, waterproofing should have been offered and would to keep the die-hards happy.

Riding on Apples coat-tails may have once gave a great ride, but not once you're scraping along the floor.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tariq_ali1 wrote: »
    Quick thoughts

Edge version should have been standard, and included SD card slot.

A second "active" version with removable battery, waterproofing should have been offered and would to keep the die-hards happy.

Riding on Apples coat-tails may have once gave a great ride, but not once you're scraping along the floor.

I think Samsung hopes it can convince people to spend 'only' another £50-60 for the Edge version, on top of the extra premium people will now pay to get more storage instead of buying a memory card (ironic that Samsung make and sell micro SDXC cards for pretty good prices these days).
    victor mel wrote: »

It is, but for how long? Snapdragon 810 reportedly has some issues, but it's still pretty high spec and in the past has often beaten or at least matched Exynos (especially when you take into account how Samsung manipulated the benchmark apps).

There's no way I'd pay for the 128GB Edge model. Maybe some others will, but I am just not feeling that many people will. Samsung is willing to give up on its loyal customers and go after iPhone users, but will iPhone users be swayed? I don't think so.

In fact, it's always hard to imagine many people switching from iOS to Android or vice versa if they're invested in one, as many people will now be. People who haven't yet bought a smartphone (yes, there are a few still left!) might not be buying anything like this and seeking more entry level devices.

But, that said, it's not a bad product. It doesn't really suit me, but I'm not representative of everyone buying a smartphone. As ever, Samsung will do some big deals with the carriers and distributors and invest a shed load in marketing (including field marketing, so expect to see Samsung pods all over shopping centres and Samsung staff in John Lewis, Carphone Warehouse, Dixons and all the network stores). With some marketing spend to give staff £5 or £10 'per box', retailers will be keen to push Samsung over anything else.

Or that's how it worked in the past at least. Can it still work now?
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »

Cutting edge design? The S6 looks like a rip off of the iPhone 6 design aesthetic; hardly cutting edge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cutting edge design? The S6 looks like a rip off of the iPhone 6 design aesthetic; hardly cutting edge.

I don't agree. It still looks like the s3,4 & 5 but with more metal now than plastic.