Spoilers & Information Beginning to Come In (Part 2)

Comments

• Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    After the opening 2-part series 6 Impossible Astronaut/Silence story, the Doctor, Amy and Rory then had a stand-alone Adventure With Pirates.

Haven't they already filmed episodes 3 and 4 (Toby Whitehouse's 2-part ghost story). That also sounds like a stand-alone story (but in 2 parts) and I'd be very surprised if it featured Missy.

That's right, and I agree. Even though I like Ms Gomez, and indeed the great Roger Delgado, I don't think the same 'villain' in every story is likely or really desirable.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't be surprised if Missy did show up in the finale. Would also tie in with a exit storyline for Clara. Missy brought the two together she can break them apart directly or indirectly.. Moffat does like to go full circle. Funny the compare with S6. Madame Kovarian duped the doctor. Using his friends against him. Missy in S8 did the same thing using Clara against 12. One way or another Missy needs to be dealt with. If she was incarcerated in a prison or asylum how long would it be before she escaped ?. Missy has know the doctor a long time. Remember Wilf in EOT part 2 ?. He told the doctor to kill the master if it meant saving all the people on earth turning them back to human. Would 12 ever be able to destroy his old friend and rival for good ?. Could be a good episode. Roll on August and S9.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't be surprised if Missy did show up in the finale. Would also tie in with a exit storyline for Clara. Missy brought the two together she can break them apart directly or indirectly.. Moffat does like to go full circle. Funny the compare with S6. Madame Kovarian duped the doctor. Using his friends against him. Missy in S8 did the same thing using Clara against 12. One way or another Missy needs to be dealt with. If she was incarcerated in a prison or asylum how long would it be before she escaped ?. Missy has know the doctor a long time. Remember Wilf in EOT part 2 ?. He told the doctor to kill the master if it meant saving all the people on earth turning them back to human. Would 12 ever be able to destroy his old friend and rival for good ?. Could be a good episode. Roll on August and S9.

John Simm's Master died at least twice, yet the character still keeps coming back.:D
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do hope Missy doesn't "die" in Series 9. As traditional as it may be, it would be a tad silly :p
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    :D I wonder if Missy has all sorts of teas for different occasions.

She might have some sheep tea in the kitchen ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missy and her companion springing in to action ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Guardian reporting that production of Doctor Who & other shows to be hived off to a new 'BBC Studios' division and could later be taken out of the publicly-funded arm of the BBC.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/02/bbc-production-top-shows-studios-division-doctor-who?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Missy and her companion springing in to action ;)

Unless Clara is trying to avoid being bitten by poisonous killer alien ants, I would say "Jenna Coleman, act your age".

:D
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Guardian reporting that production of Doctor Who & other shows to be hived off to a new 'BBC Studios' division and could later be taken out of the publicly-funded arm of the BBC.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/02/bbc-production-top-shows-studios-division-doctor-who?CMP=share_btn_tw

There's some worry signs going on about the BBC, it really feels like its under a tangible threat now where as the last few decades agenda fuelled rants in newspapers and on the internet was ultimately empty and didn't dent the BBC (to badly) but these last few years (cough era of Cameron cough) its had real blows.

I hope the BBC will stand up and protect itself and be supported by members of the public who are interested in having quality produced British TV of diverse output that is held to the highest degree by those outside of the UK and despite what people may say is very good value for money.

But hey maybe people just prefer to give an ever increasing amount of money to Murdoch and the like to pay for channels that produce very little content, and to which there's not much of note within that, that is commercially tainted so it all comes off as safe bland crap, and lots of American shows. Lots of game shows and reality shows, y'know anything that's cheap, and lots of repeats and many many repeats of classic BBC shows, then we will truly say they don't make them like they use to or TV isn't as good as it use to be, like when there was an organisation designed to produce quality that forced the commercial channels to try and keep up. I wonder if people will be satisfied then.

Sorry to go off topic and rant, it just something that bothers me :blush:
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaperSkin wrote: »
    There's some worry signs going on about the BBC, it really feels like its under a tangible threat now where as the last few decades agenda fuelled rants in newspapers and on the internet was ultimately empty and didn't dent the BBC (to badly) but these last few years (cough era of Cameron cough) its had real blows.

I hope the BBC will stand up and protect itself and be supported by members of the public who are interested in having quality produced British TV of diverse output that is held to the highest degree by those outside of the UK and despite what people may say is very good value for money.

But hey maybe people just prefer to give an ever increasing amount of money to Murdoch and the like to pay for channels that produce very little content, and to which there's not much of note within that, that is commercially tainted so it all comes off as safe bland crap, and lots of American shows. Lots of game shows and reality shows, y'know anything that's cheap, and lots of repeats and many many repeats of classic BBC shows, then we will truly say they don't make them like they use to or TV isn't as good as it use to be, like when there was an organisation designed to produce quality that forced the commercial channels to try and keep up. I wonder if people will be satisfied then.

Sorry to go off topic and rant, it just something that bothers me :blush:

You're not the only one. I read recently Margaret Thatcher wanted to take over the BBC in 1982 after having felt they were anti-Tory (she hated anyone that seemed to disagree with her). Thank God someone saw sense. And in recent years David Cameron and Gideon George Osbourne were taking to Rupert Murdoch who felt the BBC were far too powerful (James Murdoch really hated the BBC and wanted it shut down). And then there was a huge scandal which damaged Murdoch's organisation and their planned takeover of Sky (which would have made it more powerful than the BBC) was botched. Everytime the Tories are in charge, they believe that the BBC should be their mouthpiece. And everytime the BBC say "No, we're not."

Can we please vote them out at the next election, just to let them know?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The proposal could open up some interesting speculative doors further down the line in terms of budget and reinvestment in the brand.

But it could just as easily be a double-edged sword.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The proposal could open up some interesting speculative doors further down the line in terms of budget and reinvestment in the brand.

But it could just as easily be a double-edged sword.

But it paves the way for the BBC to be cut up and eventually sold off, there for losing the worlds best TV broadcaster. They say there will be safe guards put in but that's a thinly laid excuse to allow this to happen, those safe guards can fall in the future.

I want DW to have a bigger budget like most, in previous posts I said I would like to see more episodes on alien planets, with a bigger budget that could happen but the bigger picture is more important, to lose the BBC would be a great cultural loss for the UK and will have ramifications for the rest of TV's output.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    I might care more about the been if so much of it wasn't bought in formulaic TV, repeats and rip of me too shows. Then add in the amount of hidden as it has and I'm royally miffed. To make matters worse a 'non-commercial' channel drops shows for poor viewing figures mid way through a season.

Dr who's a worldwide success and generates millions as a commercial venture it could be a grea success.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The latest DWM has an interview with Moffat about 12's future. Cover.
    “We’re not bringing him back exactly the same as we left him, at all. I think that was already evident at Christmas. He’s left some of the burden of being the superhero of the universe behind. Also, Peter magnifies anything that is dark. So I’m pushing him – I’m writing quite funny this year – I’m pushing him the other way.”

He adds: “He’s also got a Scottish gloom about him. If you gave him a Matt Smith script, it would come out very, very differently. I think it was great fun to do for a year. But no, that’s not how we’re going to play the rest of him.”
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latest DWM has an interview with Moffat about 12's future. Cover.

Warning * caving in on our convictions * Warning

Oh. This just sounds like he's backtracking and compromising on the clear different direction they were going for, will make some people happy of course and good for them who want and will get that style but personally I liked what they were going for and am disappointed with the sanding off the rough edges approach they are now employing.

Between this and the news about the first two episodes being another Unit Master Earth story so soon after the last one my anticipation for the next series has well and truly left the building at this point.

Still it will be good to see Missy again, but I do wish it was a mid series episode out on some planet or in space.

(jeez do I sound like a grump :blush:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Took this from another site but apparently in the interview when Moffat was asked about hugging he had this to say
    I was pushing him in a different direction but even that, even "I'm not a hugging person now" was just a momentary line. When I wrote it, I didn't make a big deal of it, but Peter sort of latched onto it. Interestingly I've sort of disposed of it, because he's hugging away now like anyone.

Make of that what you will
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moffat also confirms that he wrote Clara out in both Death in Heaven and Last Christmas - both times she changed her mind about leaving.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moffat also confirms that he wrote Clara out in both Death in Heaven and Last Christmas - both times she changed her mind about leaving.

Clara or Jenna?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's interesting, it was obvious that Last Christmas was designed as an end and could easily be seen how that story would of worked out if it was, but Death in Heaven a little less so as even though things could of ended with them lying to each other and parting ways (which would be a great end to their time imo) as the episode was I can't see Moffat ending series 8 and their time on such a downer, maybe that's just me being cynical and thinking that they won't go for the edgy end and instead sugar coat it, does he say how Death in Heaven would of been if it was Clara's last or would it of been the same?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking about it though a lot of the ends to the series are downers, some are sugar coated others not, series 4 is a big downer and series two even with Donna showing up it still doesn't change the fact that rose is lost and the Doctor is deeply effected, so there's no reason why they couldn't of gone for 12 and Clara parting ways like we saw in DIH.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Clara or Jenna?

Jenna. After filming Death in Heaven and after reading the first ending for Last Christmas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if and how series 8 would of played out differently if Moffat had known that Jenna was staying on for series 9.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    kninemark2 wrote: »
    I might care more about the been if so much of it wasn't bought in formulaic TV, repeats and rip of me too shows. Then add in the amount of hidden as it has and I'm royally miffed. To make matters worse a 'non-commercial' channel drops shows for poor viewing figures mid way through a season.

Dr who's a worldwide success and generates millions as a commercial venture it could be a grea success.

But the worrying thing about it being a commercial venture, is that, in years to come, if viewing figures dropped slightly it would more likely be subject to cancellation than if it happened now, where they have the breathing room as a public funded company to give it another series or so to see if it can recover and also, a commercial operation who were done with it as a show could easily sell off the rights for profit meaning it may never grace our screens again.

Granted, all of that is a worse case scenario, but it's that kind of thinking that makes me want doctor who to stay public funded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree with what Doctor Blue Box says, DW will be on shakier grounds in a commercial land than on the BBC.

Some more from the interview with Moffat - (from GB)

"To be honest, in terms of the journey that we’re all learning about at the moment - ‘from script to mouth’ as it were - if you give a very, very mildly acerbic line to Peter, it comes out like a gale force! There are many lines that I’d have happily given to Matt or David and it would be done with a smile and a laugh. But out of Peter it’s like a javelin! Which is fine - it’s good fun…"

"What I’ve been saying to him is ‘You’re not the stern Doctor. You’re not the rude Doctor. You’re not the brusque Doctor. You’re kind of the don’t-give-a-damn Doctor” You actually don’t give a damn what you say to people."

Hmm, a little friction between Moffat and Capaldi perhaps, for good or bad.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I do hope Missy doesn't "die" in Series 9. As traditional as it may be, it would be a tad silly :p

Tad pointless too.
This discussion has been closed.