Options

letting agent/landlord access to property

rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
Forum Member
My letting agents want to show someone round on Sunday but I don't think they have given me the required notice. They have sent me a text and people have been telling me it has to be in writing as in a written letter. It's not convenient anyway. Can someone advise?

Comments

• Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not tell them it's inconvenient and ask them to reschedule, giving you more notice next time?
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    Why not tell them it's inconvenient and ask them to reschedule, giving you more notice next time?
    I just want to be prepared with answers in case they ask why it's not convenient and things like that, and if they really do have to give me notice in writing then I would like to tell this to them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for a viewing they have to give you 24hrs notice in any form.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does your tenancy agreement say? I think the standard is 24 hours in writing, which you did get as you've received a text. Not conventional, but it's in writing.

Your best bet is let your letting agents know it wouldn't be possible because you have guests over or you're in middle of dejunking your place.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for a viewing they have to give you 24hrs notice in any form.

This as far as I know, and what you've been given far exceeds that.

We had nightmares trying to view properties to rent, because most still had tenants who agreed to a time, then would not be there when we turned up with agent, or cancel for some 'emergency' etc. Was a total pain, as we had limited viewing times, having driven 6 hours to get to the area.

So be honest, if you can head out somewhere, let them view while you are out, it doesn't take long and I'm sure if you were looking for somewhere, you'd hate to be messed about.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The notice is pretty irrelevant, if it isn't convenient then you can refuse and there's nothing they can do about it. You are required to give "reasonable" access to viewings if that is stipulated in your agreement, which it usually is. There's no legal definition of that so you can tell them what is reasonable for you and they have to stick to that.

If you don't care about them doing viewings while you're out, tell them they can come any weekday 9-5 (or whatever time your working hours are) and also give them a one hour slot one evening a week, and one hour on a Saturday if you're feeling generous. That gives them a lot of time per week where they can book in viewings and you're only inconvenienced for a maximum of two hours per week until you leave.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The notice is pretty irrelevant, if it isn't convenient then you can refuse and there's nothing they can do about it. You are required to give "reasonable" access to viewings if that is stipulated in your agreement, which it usually is. There's no legal definition of that so you can tell them what is reasonable for you and they have to stick to that.

of course, if you're going to be an ass about the whole thing then don't expect to ever get any references from the agency/landlord for future tenancies.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    What does your tenancy agreement say? I think the standard is 24 hours in writing, which you did get as you've received a text. Not conventional, but it's in writing.

Your best bet is let your letting agents know it wouldn't be possible because you have guests over or you're in middle of dejunking your place.

Yup, completely standard, we usually phone, and then follow it up by text or email to confirm. If it's not convenient, then it's not and contact them and rearrange.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    This as far as I know, and what you've been given far exceeds that.

We had nightmares trying to view properties to rent, because most still had tenants who agreed to a time, then would not be there when we turned up with agent, or cancel for some 'emergency' etc. Was a total pain, as we had limited viewing times, having driven 6 hours to get to the area.

So be honest, if you can head out somewhere, let them view while you are out, it doesn't take long and I'm sure if you were looking for somewhere, you'd hate to be messed about.

yea mine would ring me up and ask if it was ok at a certain time, I would never mess them about. I think its only for a property inspection or being evicted that it has to be in writing.