Options

The MacDonald Brothers Fan Thread

Comments

• Options
    ebeneezergoodeebeneezergoode Posts: 7,260
    Forum Member
    Thats fair enough - if they're special to you and you feel they have the edge over others based on talent I can't argue with that :)

At least you're basing your decision on their performance and feel they are special as opposed to supporting them just because Simon was nasty to them or because they're nice guys!. We'll just have to agree to disagree on how 'special' we think they are. I think they are nice enough singers and harmonise well and their voices go well together. Nothing unpleasant to the ear at all. I suppose the difference is, that although I think they have 'nice voices', I don't see them having a superior voice to many other singers - not just the ones on that show. The band that played at my wedding sang in a similar way - and were just as good as them (and they were Scottish too!). They sing
    'nice' harmonies - but theres plenty others who harmonise just as well as them too - 4sure and a few other acts who didn't make it through. I don't consider nice harmonies to be enough to make them special or stand out as being a superior act. I just don't see any extra quality or anything extra special about them or their singing or voices that makes them even stand out let alone be considered as a step above the others. And since they have little to give in terms of an entertaining perfomance (aside from the singing itself) I'm struggling to find what their x-factor is that so many people seem to have identified.

Lets just agree to disagree then :) it's not just their harmonies l take into consideration though as part of the whole x-factor package with the lads, l also like the fact they play instruments and also their nice personality. IMO they come across as very professional in all they do, they rehearse well and take all the critisism thats being thrown at them every week very well, we keep being told there will only be three in the final, Leona, Ben and Eaton Road and hearing this all the time must knock the other acts confidence a bit as well. l admit the MacD's dont have the strongest voices on the show but l dont think it helps that sometimes l feel as though the backing music drowns them out and Arty has already explained that they do this also on American Pop Idol so to make the acts shout out their songs, dont know why though?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ArtyAttack wrote:
    Just watched the lovely Brenda on GMTV who was at the show on Saturday and she said that in all honesty that the MacDonald Brothers were the only act that sung in tune totally throughout the song and she could not understand the bashing they received from Simon Cowell. She just felt that they should come out on to the stage with more confidence. :)
    Thanks for letting us know Arty :) l missed it. Simon is starting to worry now l think, seeing as the guys have been kept out of the bottom two so far and that is why he continues to criticise and belittle the guys as often as possible. Im also sick of people saying its the Scottish that are keeping them in and they have no talent, one forum member had the nerve to say they are the new Chico..lol..they are nothing like him, made me chuckle though :D
  • Options
    humpty dumptyhumpty dumpty Posts: 4,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets just agree to disagree then :) it's not just their harmonies l take into consideration though as part of the whole x-factor package with the lads, l also like the fact they play instruments and also their nice personality. IMO they come across as very professional in all they do, they rehearse well and take all the critisism thats being thrown at them every week very well, we keep being told there will only be three in the final, Leona, Ben and Eaton Road and hearing this all the time must knock the other acts confidence a bit as well. l admit the MacD's dont have the strongest voices on the show but l dont think it helps that sometimes l feel as though the backing music drowns them out and Arty has already explained that they do this also on American Pop Idol so to make the acts shout out their songs, dont know why though?

Yeah we'll agree to disagree ;)

I agree with you on a lot more than you think.

I like the fact that they play instruments.
    I agree they seem to be nice guys.
    I'm sure they reherse well!
    They take critisism well too!
    I agree they don't have the strongest voices in the show.

Where we disagree is that none of these things equate with having the x-factor or being better than the rest for me. In fact, taking critisism well, being nice guys and rehersing well (although all admirable qualities), I wouldn't include as being related to star quality at all or factors that would make them worthy of the x-factor title.
  • Options
    ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone just see This Morning? They were discussing how hurt Brian looked after Simon's slating of his guitar solo.
    Now I'm having a pretty bad day anyway, but seriously, I almost shed a tear.
    How disgusting of Simon... this is beyond a joke now. Is he trying to get them to quit?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah we'll agree to disagree ;)

I agree with you on a lot more than you think.

I like the fact that they play instruments.
    I agree they seem to be nice guys.
    I'm sure they reherse well!
    They take critisism well too!
    I agree they don't have the strongest voices in the show.

Where we disagree is that none of these things equate with having the x-factor or being better than the rest for me. In fact, taking critisism well, being nice guys and rehersing well (although all admirable qualities), I wouldn't include as being related to star quality at all or factors that would make them worthy of the x-factor title.
    At least we both know each others views on the subject now..lol. Who is your favourite on x-factor?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ~*~Jess~*~ wrote:
    Did anyone just see This Morning? They were discussing how hurt Brian looked after Simon's slating of his guitar solo.
    Now I'm having a pretty bad day anyway, but seriously, I almost shed a tear.
    How disgusting of Simon... this is beyond a joke now. Is he trying to get them to quit?
    I didn't see it Jess, were they sympathising with him? l think Brian was a bit upset backstage on Saturday after the performance, even Ben Shepard was slating him on his guitar solo!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least we both know each others views on the subject now..lol. Who is your favourite on x-factor?

This year I'm not really a particular fan of anyone. And I think the standard is quite poor to be honest considering its the final although I like them all as people.

I think Leona and Eton Road have performed the best so far and are the two who have shown a potential x-factor more than anyone else there.
    Nikita was my favourite going into the show and I still have a soft spot for her - but I have to be honest and say she has not performed well enough so far. Robert isn't anything exceptional, but I admire his charisma and energy and I think hes a good all round performer. He does own the stage when hes on - and is able to lift the audience. I see why people like Ben because of his voice - he just does nothing for me.

So overall I'd say Leona and Eton Road have impressed me the most (from a talent perspective). I like Nikita the best, but accept she does not deserve to win on what shes produced so far. But that could change depending on how they perform in the next few weeks since I'm not 'attached' to anyone yet...which makes it interesting!

What about you? Who is your top three?

PS I'm not denying Simon has shown bias - but at the end of the day thats not the contestants fault and I don't judge on what Simon says (whether its good or bad). I think its as unfair for Leona to get praised so much (as it puts people off her) as it is for Nikita and the McDonalds who get critisised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see it Jess, were they sympathising with him? l think Brian was a bit upset backstage on Saturday after the performance, even Ben Shepard was slating him on his guitar solo!

What was wrong with it though :( I'd like to see Simon get up and play guitar :mad:
    Yeah they were sympathising with Brian... rightly so imo
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    They must be having a wee day off today because they are actually up in Ayr today! Just got a phone call from my dad who was working and met them when signing autographs etc and they are going to our old school as well with the tv cameras and my dad had a wee chat with them, and Craig wrote me a wee cute note! (pm me if you wanna see lol)
    Glad some people are seeing the good side of them and realise that Simon cowell is being a complete *bleep* :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone in here think I'm getting over sensitive about these boys? I mean, I'll blame it on PMT and just generally having a bad day, but there are some comments on here about them that I just can't fathom. Simon's really gone and done it by calling them the 'McDougals aswell :mad: :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~*~Jess~*~ wrote:
    Does anyone in here think I'm getting over sensitive about these boys? I mean, I'll blame it on PMT and just generally having a bad day, but there are some comments on here about them that I just can't fathom. Simon's really gone and done it by calling them the 'McDougals aswell :mad: :cry:

I hope its not my comments. I dont' think I've said anything nasty about them and I'm not sure what you can't fathom.

I haven't said they're bad singers, or bad guys, or that Simon hasn't been pretty insulting to them.

I just can't fathom what it is that other people see in them that makes them stand out to them as being the superior act.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I think as much as it is about talent, personality has been a big part to this year, and when you have got ashley and ray who make me want to gouge my eyes out and smash the tv, and Nikkita with her constant sob stories (i swearthe daily record paper in Scotland has a new one every week) or Leona with her ;im shy' routine when no infact you love yourself! T

he Macdonald brothers come out ahead as yes they might not show the biggest personalities but people can relate to them because they are normal guys who are happy to be there, not trying any tricks or crying or moaning or attitude etc, and that is quite appealing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it's not you Humpty Dumpty :) there's a new thread about some email and I just don't find it funny, yet I'd rather not say anything so I don't get caught up in a huge debate! Lol.
    I don't think anyone in here is saying they're the 'superior' act though, this is just a thread for people who like the Brothers and want to say good things about them
  • Options
    robchin2222robchin2222 Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vote MacDonalds to win!! I am an English guy who wants to join their fan club. They are the only act who consistently sing in tune every week and give of their best. Tony Bennett liked them and Simon Cowell can get stuffed. He is too busy drooling over Leona to notice anyone else!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~*~Jess~*~ wrote:
    No it's not you Humpty Dumpty :) there's a new thread about some email and I just don't find it funny, yet I'd rather not say anything so I don't get caught up in a huge debate! Lol.
    I don't think anyone in here is saying they're the 'superior' act though, this is just a thread for people who like the Brothers and want to say good things about them

Oh OK. I thought you were talking about this thread only and I suspected I was the only non-MCdonald fan in here.

I hope you don't think I've crossed the line. I just presumed if you were in this thread, that the McDonald brothers must be your favourite and so you must think they're better than the rest. As I've said, as much as I think Simon has been unecessarily insulting to them, that they're nice guys who sing in tune and harmonise well, I just don't know what it is that makes people think they are the best act on there - so I thought I'd ask to see if people actually did think they had an x-factor that made them stand out from the others - or if their support was more based around the fact they liked them as people and felt sorry for how they were being treated by Simon. I don't want to slag them off - they seem nice lads - I just don't think theres anything special enough about them to put them as the top of the bunch and deserving of a vote more than the rest.

I appreciate though its a bit off topic from what the threads supposed to be about, so apologies for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think as much as it is about talent, personality has been a big part to this year, and when you have got ashley and ray who make me want to gouge my eyes out and smash the tv, and Nikkita with her constant sob stories (i swearthe daily record paper in Scotland has a new one every week) or Leona with her ;im shy' routine when no infact you love yourself! T

he Macdonald brothers come out ahead as yes they might not show the biggest personalities but people can relate to them because they are normal guys who are happy to be there, not trying any tricks or crying or moaning or attitude etc, and that is quite appealing!

So its more about their personality and who you like better as a person - which ones are confident, which ones are humble and shy - and what they've said in the newspapers that makes people think they should win a talent contest, than actually having the most talent or putting in the best performance?

Fair enough. This is what I was trying to find out. Each to their own - but we should definately call it a popularity contest as it no way resemles a talent contest if this is the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh OK. I thought you were talking about this thread only and I suspected I was the only non-MCdonald fan in here.

I hope you don't think I've crossed the line. I just presumed if you were in this thread, that the McDonald brothers must be your favourite and so you must think they're better than the rest. As I've said, as much as I think Simon has been unecessarily insulting to them, that they're nice guys who sing in tune and harmonise well, I just don't know what it is that makes people think they are the best act on there - so I thought I'd ask to see if people actually did think they had an x-factor that made them stand out from the others - or if their support was more based around the fact they liked them as people and felt sorry for how they were being treated by Simon. I don't want to slag them off - they seem nice lads - I just don't think theres anything special enough about them to put them as the top of the bunch and deserving of a vote more than the rest.

I appreciate though its a bit off topic from what the threads supposed to be about, so apologies for that.

No need for an apology - this is a lovely post :) I'm sure there are a few here that believe they are the best on the show. My favourites personally are Eton Road, but I also like the McDonald Brothers because they are lovely genuine guys and they really can sing. Having said that, I do really get upset with the insults Simon throws at them, I find it bullying in a way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This year I'm not really a particular fan of anyone. And I think the standard is quite poor to be honest considering its the final although I like them all as people.

I think Leona and Eton Road have performed the best so far and are the two who have shown a potential x-factor more than anyone else there.
    Nikita was my favourite going into the show and I still have a soft spot for her - but I have to be honest and say she has not performed well enough so far. Robert isn't anything exceptional, but I admire his charisma and energy and I think hes a good all round performer. He does own the stage when hes on - and is able to lift the audience. I see why people like Ben because of his voice - he just does nothing for me.

So overall I'd say Leona and Eton Road have impressed me the most (from a talent perspective). I like Nikita the best, but accept she does not deserve to win on what shes produced so far. But that could change depending on how they perform in the next few weeks since I'm not 'attached' to anyone yet...which makes it interesting!

What about you? Who is your top three?

PS I'm not denying Simon has shown bias - but at the end of the day thats not the contestants fault and I don't judge on what Simon says (whether its good or bad). I think its as unfair for Leona to get praised so much (as it puts people off her) as it is for Nikita and the McDonalds who get critisised.
    My top three are MacDonald Bro's, Nikkita and Eton Road and not in any particular order, l also don't judge on what Simon has to say either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ~*~Jess~*~ wrote:
    I don't think you are getting over sensitive Jess, to be honest l feel the same way and it just makes me want to defend them even more all the flack they are getting because Simon is being very unproffesional now by misquoting their name and all!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hope its not my comments. I dont' think I've said anything nasty about them and I'm not sure what you can't fathom.

I haven't said they're bad singers, or bad guys, or that Simon hasn't been pretty insulting to them.

I just can't fathom what it is that other people see in them that makes them stand out to them as being the superior act.
    It isn't your comments humpty dumpty, you have just expressed your own opinions without having a go at the lads and slagging them off like some others on this forum do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vote MacDonalds to win!! I am an English guy who wants to join their fan club. They are the only act who consistently sing in tune every week and give of their best. Tony Bennett liked them and Simon Cowell can get stuffed. He is too busy drooling over Leona to notice anyone else!
    Welcome :D and well said robchin2222!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Can I just say that I have been a huge fan of the MacDonald Brothers ever since they were wee nippers. I always knew they were destined for great things.

Brian used to run up to me with that glint in his eye and bust out with an almighty rendition of Meat Loaf's "I'd do anything for love (but I won't do that)". Craig used to harmonize with his usual sumptuous melodies. The whole performance brought me to my knees as tears of joy were streaming down my face. I'll never forget it.

They deserve everything thats coming their way. Good luck boys. :)
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    found a great song for the boys to sing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbi2i0j0k9M

all together now.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    Must keep this at the top of the page :D Not that it needs any help
  • Options