Slow laptop and internet connection

Hi guys. I am asking for a friend I visited yesterday.
She has often said that her laptop is slow late afternoon and puts it down to after school time. (She likes to play the laptop solitaire game etc).
The odd thing is it happens when no internet browsers are even open.
Yesterday I disconnected her internet connection and it definitely made things better. She has a BT home hub. Could that really be using a lot of processing power making her laptop slower. (I think it is a low end one).
Thanks Jay

Comments

• jaydee456jaydee456 Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Just suggested to her that when she has the problem to disconnect from the hub and see what happens.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the PC is running slow when playing Solitaire then it has nothing to do with the Internet connection.

Maybe it's running a scheduled task like a virus scan or defrag.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaydee456 wrote: »
    Just suggested to her that when she has the problem to disconnect from the hub and see what happens.
    Might be more instructive to open up Task manager and view the list of Processes running and see what if anything is hogging the CPU and/or memory. That might provide a clue as to the cause and a better solution to the problem.
  • jaydee456jaydee456 Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Stig;69267612
    Maybe it's running a scheduled task like a virus scan or defrag.[/QUOTE]

As she does not use it a lot it might well be scanning when she does go on or updating etc thanks guys will pass it on. Won't see her for a while so will see what happens when we do visit again.