Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big week of football coming up for us.

I'm nervous about both games, and to be honest don't fancy our chances in either of them. Newcastle are missing Coloccini which is good for us, but my OH reckons Tiote and Taylor (Ryan I think) will be back for the tie on Sunday.

Pleased with an FA Cup semi final Merseyside Derby. Exciting, and poignant considering it will be played on the weekend of the Hillsborough anniversary.

Let's just hope things can only get better from the way things have been recently. :)
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see Rafa is releasing a book -- can't wait to get it.

Champions League Dreams: How European Nights Gave Us Our Pride Back | Hardback

Author: Rafa Benitez |

Due for release on 13 September 2012.

Champions League Dreams is a stimulating and deeply insightful football narrative by Rafa Benitez which focuses on the legendary manager's dramatic six Champions League campaigns with Liverpool. Rafa expertly navigates fans through intriguing European adventures that embrace the triumph and despair of two Champions League finals, three semi-finals and five quarter-finals in what was a golden era for the Anfield club - an era that supporters felt gave them their pride back after years in the wilderness. What sets Champions League Dreams apart is the unique ways in which Rafa allows fans into his high-pressured world, the fascinating glimpses he offers of a top manager's thought processes and decision making during the cut and thrust of a high-octane European campaign. Understand how a great manager prepares for, then executes, a master-plan for European success
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were down to 8th, Sund. beating Man City.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly matters to be honest, still an hour to go and the Cup tie means far more this season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Were down to 8th, Sund. beating Man City.

Actually we're down to 9th with Everton beating West Brom as well - not good even if it does end up being just for a short time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dangerman wrote: »
    Actually we're down to 9th with Everton beating West Brom as well - not good even if it does end up being just for a short time.

On the plus side , we'll probably be seen as underdogs going in to the semi. We all know what usually happens to the neighbours when they talk themselves up.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh well back up one place thanks to Super Mario's penalty !!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose we should aim to finish as high as we can. Isn't it around £500k in prize money per place? We're already in the europa league so position has no bearing on that. It's purely for pride and prize money. An extra couple of million won't hurt.
  • Options
    SweetlikeheavenSweetlikeheaven Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    The league means very little to us now, but finishing 9th or lower would just be embarrassing

I hope we at least up our game in the league for the sake of our pride
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Playing for pride should be the most important thing - whatever the results end up being today , one look at the league table and our last few results should be more than enough to make the players selected determined to put things right
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh well back up one place thanks to Super Mario's penalty !!! :D

Back down again after Bentdner puta the visitors 2-1 up. Citeh intent on gift wrapping the title for their neighbours:rolleyes:
    I wonder if Rafa will be in charge at Eastlands next season?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    I suppose we should aim to finish as high as we can. Isn't it around £500k in prize money per place? We're already in the europa league so position has no bearing on that. It's purely for pride and prize money. An extra couple of million won't hurt.

Last season:
    5th 12,096,000
    6th 11,340,000
    7th 10,584,000
    8th 9,828,000
    9th 9,072,000
    10th 8,316,000
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3-1 to Sunderland. No matter what happens tomorrow , at least Mankini should be getting all the press stick this week if it stays the same!!!
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    City getting hammered 3-1, title to Utd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last season:
    5th 12,096,000
    6th 11,340,000
    7th 10,584,000
    8th 9,828,000
    9th 9,072,000
    10th 8,316,000

Nice statting there Sweetlikeheaven. :D

The thick end of £3-4m is not to be sneezed at. A goodly chunk of the wage bill for a decent player right there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3-1 to Sunderland. No matter what happens tomorrow , at least Mankini should be getting all the press stick this week if it stays the same!!!

For pity's sake City. :mad:

At least they'll be getting the flack over their spending to win nowt for a change.

1st is everything, 2nd is nowhere.
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    So - currently down in 9th :( The team really need to get all 3 points tomorrow.

It's pretty bad in the league for us right now so hopefully the manager and the team can respond with some real fight and fire.

As far as City's result handing the title to Utd - don't hugely care about that. While I don't like to see Utd win the title, unless it's us stopping them then we have bigger things to worry about.

We will stop them when we're good enough to and right now we're not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    So - currently down in 9th :( The team really need to get all 3 points tomorrow.

It's pretty bad in the league for us right now so hopefully the manager and the team can respond with some real fight and fire.

As far as City's result handing the title to Utd - don't hugely care about that. While I don't like to see Utd win the title, unless it's us stopping them then we have bigger things to worry about.

We will stop them when we're good enough to and right now we're not.

The only concern is that the PL is effectively a one horse race whilst Fergie stays around. It's also the sycophantic nature of the media that seems to have already decided today that another title is theres. Imagine the stick we would've got if we were that pre emptive in our title winning days. It's very disrespectful to the teams they still have to play. I can't remember the last time Utd were even pushed to the last day by challengers.

In that way , the top flight is less competitive than back in the day. Unless you have billions and one of the best managers in the world. There is no substitute for the vast experience Fergie has in his job , you ain't going to take the crown away from old trafford. Whilst being knocked out of Europe and the cups has helped them , so have City. A top class midfielder or two bought this summer and Utd will be champions for a while yet. Unless City or Chelsea capture Mourinho and he manages to get on with his chairman.

Or unless Kenny uses all the bad press this season to develop a siege mentality along with some better signings.
    BELIEVE:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahem , 3-3 now at the etihad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now Torres scores in the league.

Strange weekend , it's gotta be the turn for Carroll tomorrow!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Man City draw , so our top flight record of 21 home wins in a row stays intact:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Wenger will get the same type of flack as KD did for losing at QPR. His team were on a run of 7 wins in the PL in a row before today. Better form than when we went there!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Wenger will get the same type of flack as KD did for losing at QPR. His team were on a run of 7 wins in the PL in a row before today. Better form than when we went there!!
    To be fair most of the criticism came due to us losing 3 goals in the final 15 minutes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else watching Blackpool v Southampton.

Tom Ince showing us what might have been !!!
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Anyone else watching Blackpool v Southampton.

Tom Ince showing us what might have been !!!

Yup - Was just thinking the same thing.
This discussion has been closed.