Options

Melissa and Joey

Comments

• Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the premier episodes when I was in the US a few years ago, I might give it a go on E4. Something daunting about having 100 episodes to catch up on though! But I have always liked Melissa Joan Hart. :)
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Melissa and Joey coming to E4 next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Melissa and Joey coming to E4 next week.

I said that back on page 1!

Anyway, doublebills from Monday at 3pm. I'll give it a go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Going to watch this show. I thought E4 might have shown this on in the evening, rather than the afternoon.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I watched the premier episodes when I was in the US a few years ago, I might give it a go on E4. Something daunting about having 100 episodes to catch up on though! But I have always liked Melissa Joan Hart. :)

I wouldn't worry. It's only 82 at the moment.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched a few episodes on netflix and I enjoyed it. I adore Melissa Joan Hart. She is a very versatile comedic actress. Quite a few comedic actors tend to play the same characters when they go on to do a few more sitcoms. But the characters she played in Clarissa, Sabrina and now this, are so different from each other.

I have set it for series record on E4 already and will watch the rest, as I am giving my netflix a break as it made me abandon all the other shows i watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just giving this a little bump for those who might watch on e4 this afternoon, 3:00 pm
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good start, looks like it should be a great series.

It sort of reminded me of Last Man Standing, which also is shunned from the UK prime time and stuck on at lunch.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    I was just going to mention that I wonder why they've not put this on in a prime-time slot and cite LMS on Sky1 as another example of weird-ass scheduling :D

That way they also wouldn't have to edit the show. Though I did only notice one obvious edit in one show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good start with the show, going to tune in again tomorrow.
    My only complain is, how much are we missing with the edited version?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^I can't imagine we miss a huge amount, its on ABC Family so I can't imagine its strong language.
    I was just going to mention that I wonder why they've not put this on in a prime-time slot and cite LMS on Sky1 as another example of weird-ass scheduling :D

LMS and this would make a great early evening double bill. Perhaps leading into Modern Family (if both were on Sky 1), but alas no. Its deemed that they're just "daytime TV fodder". :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good start, looks like it should be a great series.

It sort of reminded me of Last Man Standing, which also is shunned from the UK prime time and stuck on at lunch.

I agree, both are traditional family sitcoms, but done well, and overlooked here in the UK.
    I suspect Melissa and Joey has been given a daytime slot partly because we are 4 years behind the US, so to catch up E4 are going to speed through the episodes (10 episodes a week) which couldn’t be done in a prime time slot. If it really does become a ratings success (which is probably doubtful given the daytime slot, its a losing circle!) then it’ll be moved to a more prime time slot. E4 did similar with How I Met Your Mother, when they acquired the rights it aired daily in a 7:30pm slot, airing the episodes that had already aired on BBC2 and Trouble and some previously unaired in the UK ones too until we were fairly close to US pace when they then moved it to a more prime time, weekly, slot. But I admit the Melissa and Joey afternoon slot is even more low key.

As for Last Man Standing, I don’t know why Sky air it in daytime. I suspect they only got the rights as part of a package deal, so are simply using it as filler rather than a prime time ‘pull’.

jackles27 wrote: »
    My only complain is, how much are we missing with the edited version?

I think I only spotted one edit by E4 in the first 2 episodes – the bit where Melissa was talking about a poem here niece write about a teachers name rhyming with something rude, the edit was we never heard what the teachers name was to ‘do the joke in our heads’. Weirdly they made that edit, but left in quite a few very mild swear words and sex references though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here’s a fun game to play as the episodes and seasons continue, try and figure out what is going on with Joey Lawrence’s hair. He goes from balding to a full head of hair as time goes on, which is made more confusing by the fact that some episodes are broadcast in a different order to what they were shot in, so one episode he’s bald, the next hair, and then bald again.
    He’s not going to grow old gracefully, that’s for sure!
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So weird to see it finally start here, I have watched all 82 episodes. It's very good, I started out watching the first episode just to have something extra to watch last 2 years ago at around 2am as I wasn't tired, and ended up binging through it.

Edit- Whaaat? I started this thread. I can't remember!! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    So weird to see it finally start here...

I agree, while I haven’t watched it much, I saw the premier during a summer in the US back in 2010. There were quite a few posters for it on the local buses.
    I still have a thing for Melissa Joan Hart, and always have since Clarrisa Explains It All. :blush:
  • Options
    davem1234davem1234 Posts: 5,451
    Forum Member
    I love when a usa show starts on E4 and had a couple of seasons because there has been a few show they have picked up and they end up with only one season.
    I remember how I met your mother was in its 3 season before being on E4
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, opinions of the latest episodes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    davem1234 wrote: »
    I love when a usa show starts on E4 and had a couple of seasons because there has been a few show they have picked up and they end up with only one season.
    I remember how I met your mother was in its 3 season before being on E4

Yes but HIMYM had been shown on BBC2 originally. Wonder if they are pleased they lost it or not?
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Okay. It's basically a re-boot of "Who's The Boss?" though ;)
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show stinks. Sorry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay. It's basically a re-boot of "Who's The Boss?" though ;)
    I thought that as well. That or Charles In Charge / The Upper Hand.

Still enjoyable though.
    My 2¢..

It seems like its starting to find its pace now. Which doesn't always happen when they have such a good pilot.

The cuts were really evident in 3 and 4 though, which is made even more annoying when we had (to be polite) a 'gentlemanly discomfort' and 'private items in the closet' jokes. As I said before, as its on ABC Family I don't expect it to be crass humour like '2 Broke Girls', but E4 really looks daft putting it on in mid-afternoon and having to dodge jokes that would easily pass at a 7/8pm timeslot.

That aside, I'm really enjoying it. Plenty of funny lines - something that other top sitcoms at the moment lack.

My only gripe is that weird highlights package over the end credits. What's that all about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I notice they only had a short 15 episode season 2. Anyone know why?

It could mean that E4 might show season 2 straight after season 1.

I keep thinking she is calling the girl 'Linux' :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but HIMYM had been shown on BBC2 originally. Wonder if they are pleased they lost it or not?

BBC2 didn’t lose the rights to How I Met Your Mother, they decided not to pick up the second season.
    However TROUBLE aired both seasons one and two before the channel itself closed. I think it was a while after that before E4 picked up the programme, by which point the US were on season three or four I think (hence E4 rushing through the earlier seasons with 5 ‘new’ episodes a week in an early evening slot before moving it to a once a week prime time slot).
    I notice they only had a short 15 episode season 2. Anyone know why?

I can’t say for sure, but I know Melissa and Joey didn’t have a conventional production schedule. It could have been that the season two episodes were filmed at the same time as season one, or maybe season three. If its anything like the US broadcasts Joey’s hair disappears and reappears occasionally, really bad continuity.
    My only gripe is that weird highlights package over the end credits. What's that all about?

This is only done in the syndicated/international version, I’m fairly sure it wasn’t like that when I watched it in the US.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Well I think the UK are actually showing the epsiodes in the order they were actually filmed - so there should not be any continuity problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I think the UK are actually showing the epsiodes in the order they were actually filmed - so there should not be any continuity problems.

I’ve just checked, and no they aren’t.

For example, yesterday we had episodes 3 and 4, which are actually the 4th and 3rd (respectively) episodes to be produced.
    Today we have episodes 5 and 6, which are actually the 8th and 6th (respectively) episodes to be produced.
    And tomorrow we have episodes 7 and 8, which are actually the 7th and 5th (respectively) episodes to be produced.