Options

Duke Ellington Truckin' remake?

albertdalbertd Posts: 14,360
Forum Member
✭✭
Watching the Battle of the Bands from the BBC Proms, I heard a performance of "Truckin'", originally done in 1935 by Duke Ellington. The tune and much of the lyric seemed very familiar and I have a vague recollection of a slightly different version which, I think, used a different word to "Truckin" probably sometime in the 1950s - 1970s.

Does anyone know anything of this, because I am now intrigued by it?

The original.

Comments

• Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »

Does anyone know anything of this, because I am now intrigued by it?

The original.

Don't know for sure for that song, but I know that many familiar Duke Ellington tunes were first recorded as arrangements without lyrics in the 1920s and 1930s and then had words written to fit them, mostly by Billy Strayhorn, in the 1940s. It's possible that he also rewrote some existing songs as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks grassmarket. I don't if that helps or not as I was thinking about quite a bit later.

I have been wondering whether I am maybe thinking of something rearranged by Syd Lawrence who I used to see a lot way back. I have had a look through his iTunes listings, but have drawn a blank there. Trouble is that I can't think what the alternative word for "truckin" might have been.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anybody else got any suggestions on this?