Options

Old Telly's Broke - Need New TV, Recommendations?

My 4 year old Philips 32PW6006 is playing up with the image being really distorted when the TV is switched on. It takes several minutes before it sorts itself out into something 'watchable' and then even at that it's all wobbly at the right hand side and can be difficult to watch at times. As of yesterday afternoon it has now decided to switch itself off about 30 seconds after it is switched on, so now it's basically unuseable. I think that sometime soon it will be time to get a new TV. (Strangely I have the 28PW6006 in the bedroom and it is perfect, not a problem with it and it was bought at the same time.)

I would like to go for a flat screen TV, (probably would be daft to buy one these days that isn't HD Ready as we have a HD-upscaling DVD recorder with Freeview, so it might get some use, although I know the picture won't be as good as proper HD content!), relatively cheapish and I suppose colour doesn't matter, black or silver, it doesn't make a big difference really. I suppose sixe wise I could go up to 37" in the space I have for the TV, but anything bigger may be too big. Anyone got any recommendations on brand or particular model. Models that have good connectivitiy would be good too (like 3 SCART and having 2 of those RGB enabled if that's even possible and 2 HDMI for DVD and possible future games console etc..). The more features and customisable options it has the better, I love having a fiddle with technology!

Paddy :D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take a look at the Samsung "M" Range they give a superb picture & great connectivity; 3 x HDMI, 2 x Scart etc. I have the 40" model & find it to be superb. (LE40M87BDX) it's 1080P so it's as future proof as you can get at the moment!
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the moment the TV will be used with Sky+ and normal upscaled DVD's, so a good SD images is a must. From what I understand, most LCD's and plasmas have very poor SD quality.

I like that TV, but it's out of my price range. I was looking to spend at the most about £600.

What about this one? Any good? http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/-/319/405/-/3342809/Samsung-37-LE37R87BDX-XEU-HD-Ready-Freeview-Widescreen-LCD-TV/Product.html?searchtype=genre#

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    For the moment the TV will be used with Sky+ and normal upscaled DVD's, so a good SD images is a must. From what I understand, most LCD's and plasmas have very poor SD quality.

I like that TV, but it's out of my price range. I was looking to spend at the most about £600.

What about this one? Any good? http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/-/319/405/-/3342809/Samsung-37-LE37R87BDX-XEU-HD-Ready-Freeview-Widescreen-LCD-TV/Product.html?searchtype=genre#

I've been reading up on LCD and plasma as I too am in the market and from what I can make out, if you are going to be watching SD then you need a plasma. LCD are more suitable for HD signal
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to decide on a 26" LCD for my sister. It's tricky deciding on the right one to go for when you don't want to spend too much and SD is a priority. Looks-wise, the Samsungs are lovely but of course the actual picture is the most important thing. If you do go for that 37" Samsung, look here for better prices.

This whole "LCDs don't do SD" thing is not strictly true imo. Some of them are bad but my 32" Toshiba (bought a year ago) is excellent in that respect and I'm sure the latest Sony and Panasonic models are even better (should be for the price!). I'd have no problem recommending a Toshiba but things have moved on and new models have been released so things can change.

It's worth looking at the avforums site as there are lots of opinions of the latest models which should help in your decision :).
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen the Toshiba 37C3030DB at RGB Direct for £578 - from what I can see it is the newer version of the 37WLT66 that I have sitting in front of me as I type. We've had ours for about 18 months now (and paid a hell of a lot more that £578 for it at the time!), and have been delighted with it - even SD pictures on it seem really good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your suggestions so far, I have found that Samsung on other sites for cheaper that what I first found, and that Toshiba looks nice too. Will investigate further! Keep your suggestions coming!

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your suggestions so far, I have found that Samsung on other sites for cheaper that what I first found, and that Toshiba looks nice too. Will investigate further! Keep your suggestions coming!

For what it's worth, my 40" Samsung LCD, purchased from Dixons Online 7/11/06, developed an intermittent fault within 3 months. I thought I'd better get it sorted b4 warranty run out - result = lost to a SAMSUNG repair centre on 31/7/07, and still no telly as @ 21/8/07. Yes, I've fired off 5 emails progressively to SAMSUNG-UK since 14/8/07, and just got Dixons involved. So if after sales service within the 1 year warranty period is anything to go by ............. then steer clear of SAMDUNG ! Toshiba appear to be good, but you don't really find out 'til you dip yer toe in the water. Good luck! :)
  • Options
    Rob500Rob500 Posts: 3,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A square one :p
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,576
    Forum Member
    shrimper1 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, my 40" Samsung LCD, purchased from Dixons Online 7/11/06, developed an intermittent fault within 3 months. I thought I'd better get it sorted b4 warranty run out - result = lost to a SAMSUNG repair centre on 31/7/07, and still no telly as @ 21/8/07. Yes, I've fired off 5 emails progressively to SAMSUNG-UK since 14/8/07, and just got Dixons involved. So if after sales service within the 1 year warranty period is anything to go by ............. then steer clear of SAMDUNG ! Toshiba appear to be good, but you don't really find out 'til you dip yer toe in the water. Good luck! :)

Get on to Dixons for a replacement set, or a refund - the repair is taking more than a 'reasonable time', quoted as ten working days by RETRA, and you are entitled to a full refund or replacement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get on to Dixons for a replacement set, or a refund - the repair is taking more than a 'reasonable time', quoted as ten working days by RETRA, and you are entitled to a full refund or replacement.

Nigel is quite right, you are legaly entitled to a full refund or replacement so don't be fobbed off! the trading standards department would back you on this. If you accept a repair you may give up these rights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to venture into Currys on Sunday and see what they have got. So, should I get a plasma as they have better SD pictures over LCD or what? They have some Samsung 40"ers in Currys, are they any good?

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I'd recommend the Panasonic TX32LX70. Panasonic's range of LCD TV's are really good and Which? recently voted most of the Panasonic range as best buys.

If you're buying from Currys, whatever TV you get, make sure you buy it online for home delivery. The when you check out use these promotional codes

Use this code NHS2222 to get 5% off
    and then use
    Any of these codes to get a further discount
    AW20TVS - £20 off when you spend over £300
    AW35TVS - £35 off when you spend over £450
    AW50TVS - £50 off when you spend over £600
    AW70TVS - £70 off when you spend over £800
    AW100TV - £100 off when you spend over £1000
    AW120TV - £120 off when you spend over £1200

:)
  • Options
    DunnroaminDunnroamin Posts: 2,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just bought a 37" LG HDLCD TV. Picture quality is very good and sound is not bad but could be better. With this in mind I looked for sockets to connect external loudspeakers, but could only find an optical digital output. I have an elderly but still good analogue audio amplifier (Audiolab 8000A), I was wondering if there is a D/A convertor with an optical input and, maybe, phono output so that I could use the Audiolab, or is there some other way, not too expensive, to bring external speakers into play. Thank you. D.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,219
    Forum Member
    Dunnroamin wrote: »
    I've just bought a 37" LG HDLCD TV. Picture quality is very good and sound is not bad but could be better. With this in mind I looked for sockets to connect external loudspeakers, but could only find an optical digital output. I have an elderly but still good analogue audio amplifier (Audiolab 8000A), I was wondering if there is a D/A convertor with an optical input and, maybe, phono output so that I could use the Audiolab, or is there some other way, not too expensive, to bring external speakers into play. Thank you. D.
    For a quick and dirty fix you could use the TV headphone socket through a 1/4" jack to stereo (RCA?) plugs into the amp AUX in. Like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=31700&doy=29m8 :)
  • Options
    DunnroaminDunnroamin Posts: 2,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a quick and dirty fix you could use the TV headphone socket through a 1/4" jack to stereo (RCA?) plugs into the amp AUX in. Like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=31700&doy=29m8 :)

As far as I can see there is no headphone socket. D.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Dunnroamin wrote: »
    As far as I can see there is no headphone socket. D.

well , on the 32c3030bd the headphone socket is on the righthand side control panel , might help :)