Options

Windows Warning Message ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,344
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Went on the web earlier today…I noticed that my screen (which had one of the preset Windows themes installed) had gone white and in the middle of it was Warning window, which says.....

WARNING!
Spyware Detected on your computer
Install an antivurus or spyware remover to clean your computer

Warniong! Win32/Adware.Virtumonde Danger!
Detected on your computer

Warning! Win32?PrivacyRemover.M64 Danger!
Detected on your computer
Please activate your anivirus software to Clean your computer

Anyone know what all this is about ?

I have run my AVG free edtion and it found a couple of things, which I removed. I also ran my adware software (SuperAntiSpyware, Registry Mechanic, Ad-Adaware etc) in one of the reports they gave I was told about a screensaver. Was this a reference to the above ? I’ve done all this but can’t get rid of the warning ?

Also the Windows theme I had on my PC screen/desktop has gone so I'm left with either a white or blue screen with this warning stuck in the middle of it. In fact when I go into the control panel/appearance and themes/display etc the screensaver tab seems to have gone ?

Any help would be very much appreciated !!! I’m running Windows xp

Thanks in advance !!

Comments

• Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    as i'm sure you suspect the warning is, itself the spyware.

it may have changed some settings to try and create this effect, eg replaced your wall paper, got rid of the icons etc.

but first things first i suggest you download and run mawarebytes:
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for those links...will give them a try when their site is back up and running
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cuk wrote: »
    Thanks for those links...will give them a try when their site is back up and running

their site is running. it is possible that your nast has blocked them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well managed to get them both d/loaded from another site.

The rogueremover found nothing.

The other one Malywarebytes found quite a lot including at the very bottom of the scan results something called Hijack Wallpaper which I assume is what's causing the problem ?

there are about six listings for this problem on the scan results.

Sadly when I try and remove it...the software just freezes and won't do anything and so I have to shut it down...still with the warning on the desktop.

Any advice ? Thanks !
  • Options
    wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    AVG didn't protect your computer very well did it..
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Well managed to get them both d/loaded from another site.

The rogueremover found nothing.

The other one Malywarebytes found quite a lot including at the very bottom of the scan results something called Hijack Wallpaper which I assume is what's causing the problem ?

there are about six listings for this problem on the scan results.

Sadly when I try and remove it...the software just freezes and won't do anything and so I have to shut it down...still with the warning on the desktop.

Any advice ? Thanks !

Run the scan again in Safe Mode. Also, run CCleaner first to clear out all the old junk files, which will speed up any subsequent scans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgive me for asking but what is CCleaner...not at all up this IT stuff....as you may have guessed ! If CCleaner is something to do with Windows then I think I've got a problem with that ?

I've read about something called smitfruadfix (something like that?) d/loaded but couldn't get that to work....think that said something about running in safe mode ?
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forgive me for asking but what is CCleaner...not at all up this IT stuff....as you may have guessed ! If CCleaner is something to do with Windows then I think I've got a problem with that ?

http://www.ccleaner.com/
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    This is the slim version, which is all you need.

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds/downloading-slim
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well started the old PC up...pressed f8 and got it cranked up in safe mode. I then ran malwarebytes started the PC again as normal.....and....it had gone. And the tab for screensavers in windows has now returned !! :)

Just like to thank all of of for your help and advice !!! Very much appreciated !!!! :)
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Glad it worked, good idea to have Ccleaner aboard anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    another result for malwarebytes - it's really putting the others to shame