Why do phones have such long start ups?

PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
Forum Member
It's so dull & tedious to go through when you turn it on.

There's the brand screen, the network screen and then the model screen or whatever it's called.

Why do phones take so long to start up and what's your startup like?

Comments

• tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    Not all phones do. My Blackberry starts up in about 3s.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    It's so dull & tedious to go through when you turn it on.

There's the brand screen, the network screen and then the model screen or whatever it's called.

Why do phones take so long to start up and what's your startup like?

don't turn it off then?
  • PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    don't turn it off then?

I don't often but I was looking at some phones in the T-Mobile & Vodafone shops today with a friend and she was doing hands-on and they took so long to start up.
  • DeanparkrDeanparkr Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smartphones like Android and iOS can take a loooong time to start up. I know my Android phone can take at least a minute.

About 30 seconds with the "Android" logo and then even though the home screen appears its still another 30 seconds until its fully booted in the background and properly usable.

With phone software getting more complex startup times are taking longer. A few years ago my old Motorola Maxx V6 fliphone would be turned on fully in less than 10 seconds. How things have changed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a SIM free HTC Desire HD and it takes 20 seconds from the time I press the power button to the phone being fully ready with network signal.

MUCH quicker than what my iPhone used to do, or any other phone that I have owned!
    Forum Member
    My friends Blackberry takes a minute to turn on, it's so funny.
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you think what phones can do these days, they're like mini computers. Hardly surprising they take an age to "boot up".

My Blackberry Bold takes about a minute to be fully useable. I seriously doubt it takes 3 seconds as someone previously suggested.
  • chaos77chaos77 Posts: 769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    don't turn it off then?

a phone should be switched off and charged in a switched off state regularly to keep the battery in good condition
    Forum Member
    chaos77 wrote: »
    a phone should be switched off and charged in a switched off state regularly to keep the battery in good condition

That's the only time I switch mine off.
  • Beavis99Beavis99 Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chaos77 wrote: »

Battery and charger technology have improved since the late '90's... :)
    Forum Member
    Beavis99 wrote: »

But as the tech develops,, it consumes more battery (or seems that way), and unless you turn it off to be charged it doesn't get the most out of the charge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

indeed, yet they still need care and attention, charging the battery for a full 8 hours with the phone turned off increased the battery performance on my nexus greatly, and has been consistently better since doing so, i plan to do this every couple of months...
  • Beavis99Beavis99 Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generally, the power supply for the phone is sufficient to charge the battery at its optimal charge rate, and power the phone, such that the "battery isn't draining and charging at the same time" (for better words).

Problems arise when the power supply is insufficient to charge the battery at the optimal rate, such as using a USB connector from a computer, or a poor quality wallplug. Bear in mind that Lithium chemistry cells have a non-linear charge rate compared to Nickel chemistries, and charging a fairly well drained battery would require quite a large current (I've measured over 1A at 5V for some smart phones!). Turning the phone off during charging would help poor quality wall plugs as this reduces the strain in charging the battery and keeping the phone running.

The main importance for Li chemistry cells is to keep them "topped up" rather than letting the battery drain completely then charging.
  • fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ThePhenom wrote: »
    I have a SIM free HTC Desire HD and it takes 20 seconds from the time I press the power button to the phone being fully ready with network signal.

MUCH quicker than what my iPhone used to do, or any other phone that I have owned!

The two new Desire models don't actually power down completely, they go into a very low power 'sleep' mode, from which they can be woken up a lot quicker.

It is a feature of the new version of HTC Sense, which I hope will be rolled out to other phones... including my 'normal' Desire.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only time my Desire's been off is when the battery ran out - and that was the day I got it cos I had to go out before I'd had chance to charge it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally, the power supply for the phone is sufficient to charge the battery at its optimal charge rate, and power the phone, such that the "battery isn't draining and charging at the same time" (for better words).

Problems arise when the power supply is insufficient to charge the battery at the optimal rate, such as using a USB connector from a computer, or a poor quality wallplug. Bear in mind that Lithium chemistry cells have a non-linear charge rate compared to Nickel chemistries, and charging a fairly well drained battery would require quite a large current (I've measured over 1A at 5V for some smart phones!). Turning the phone off during charging would help poor quality wall plugs as this reduces the strain in charging the battery and keeping the phone running.

The main importance for Li chemistry cells is to keep them "topped up" rather than letting the battery drain completely then charging.

a poor quality wall plug?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yes and android has a a file (rm /data/system/batterystats.bin)
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tommyd1258 wrote: »
    Not all phones do. My Blackberry starts up in about 3s.

That's because the power button on a Blackberry doesn't do a proper shutdown like it does on any other smartphone.

Take out the battery and put it back in. Then count how long it takes to boot up.