Pet insurance recommendations please

Lemon HazeLemon Haze Posts: 245
Forum Member
I got my first dog last week and have 4 weeks cover that came with the dog when I bought it from the breeders, but I'll need to get a policy when it expires in 3 weeks time. Do you have recommendations for pet insurance companies? So far I've had quotes from Pet Plan and Direct Line.

Comments

• clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    Animal Friends, competitive prices and good service - I've just had a claim with them and it was very quick and easy.

They donate all profits to animal welfare charities as well so you know you're not just helping your own pet. 100% recommended
  • Lemon HazeLemon Haze Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Thanks clm2073 I've just had a quote and it's very reasonable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the whole concept of pet insurance baffling - I was advised you have to have a policy which covers "for life" conditions... but surely if you do that, and need to make a claim then the premium will go up so in effect you would be paying extra anyway, year on year :confused: Also, if you get 'for life' type cover and need to use it on that basis then are you tied to that insurer for life, so they could put the premium up as much as they want?

Thats me assuming pet insurance is like car/home insurance in that respect.

Sorry to cloud the issue, not help you, Lemon haze :) its just something I can't get my head round
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    My friend uses Tesco and has just had to claim for an operation on her dog's leg - they were very efficient and paid without any problems.
    milmol wrote: »
    I find the whole concept of pet insurance baffling - I was advised you have to have a policy which covers "for life" conditions... but surely if you do that, and need to make a claim then the premium will go up so in effect you would be paying extra anyway, year on year :confused: Also, if you get 'for life' type cover and need to use it on that basis then are you tied to that insurer for life, so they could put the premium up as much as they want?
    Whilst that is true, if you don't have 'for life' cover, and your dog say breaks it's leg then that leg will be excluded when you renew or if you change companies. At least with 'for life' the leg will still be covered if the dog gets arthritis in that leg in later life. It's the same with medication they may need for the rest of their lives - a yearly policy will cover the meds for the rest of the term of that policy, but will probably exclude the condition on renewal whereas a 'for life' policy should carry on covering the condition and paying for the meds (though obviously you need to read the terms and conditions of any policy before taking it out to be sure).
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Animal Friends, competitive prices and good service - I've just had a claim with them and it was very quick and easy.

They donate all profits to animal welfare charities as well so you know you're not just helping your own pet. 100% recommended

A quick google shows some very unsatisfied Animal Friends customers out there - they seem rather keen on wriggling out of paying up:(