Sky Ferreira - Night Time, My Time (29/10/13)

spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else looking forward to this? She's had a few false starts by Sky Ferreira's album is finally coming. It's entitled "Night Time, My Time" and comes out 29/10/13 in the US with a WW release in early 2014.

"You're Not the One" is the first single - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFCZP1Nz3Ds

Album Cover - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sky_Ferreira_-_Night_Time,_My_Time.jpg

I think she'll have pretty limited commercial success but a couple of reviewers are already raving about it. "Everything is Embarrassing" from last year was a surprise jem aswell.

Comments

• MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I simply adore "Everything Is Embarrassing" but Sky is quite dismissive of it...quick to point out out that it isn't representative of her sound as a whole:rolleyes:
    Funnily enough, nothing else in her catalogue comes close to the amazingness of Everything Is Embarrassing.
  • spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    I simply adore "Everything Is Embarrassing" but Sky is quite dismissive of it...quick to point out out that it isn't representative of her sound as a whole:rolleyes:
    Funnily enough, nothing else in her catalogue comes close to the amazingness of Everything Is Embarrassing.

I don't think she's dismissing the song as such.. more like the production. Alot of people have asked her whether it's representative of the whole album, which it's not and she's just keen to point it out.

She probably won't do much better than EIE I agree but to be fair she hasn't really released much material to compare it to (of the last 12 months anyway).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she should get Blood Orange to produce her whole album. That whole 80's vibe totally suits her.
  • Gav 2.0Gav 2.0 Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been waiting for this album literally since One came out way back but from the looks of things so far, it'll have been worth it! That album artwork is brilliant and I genuinely think You're Not The One is my favourite of her singles since Sex Rules. Legit cannot wait until the 29th!
  • constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very excited about this record and have been for the last three years!

EIE was brilliant but she doesn't want one song to define her as an artist. YNTO is a brilliant single and bodes well for the rest of the album!

The artwork already looks iconic!
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked her song Red Lips. But I think that's because it was written by Shirley Manson. She has an interesting voice, regardless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she should get Blood Orange to produce her whole album. That whole 80's vibe totally suits her.

Sky was asked recently whether she'd work with Dev Hynes again but mentioned that Solange has really captured that 80's vibe now. Which I agree with. Dev produced the whole of Solange's EP and Losing You sounds like the counterpart to EIE. I'm personally glad she's gone with Ariel Rechtshaid and Jon Brion. Lost in My Bedroom and Sad Dream were my favourites from the Ghost EP.

edit: tracklisting
    1. Boys
    2. Ain't Your Right
    3. 24 Hours
    4. Nobody Asked (If I Was Alright)
    5. I Blame Myself
    6. Omanko - means c*nt in Japanese..
    7. You're Not The One
    8. Heavy Metal Heart
    9. Christine
    10. I Will
    11. Love In Stereo
    12. Night Time, My Time
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think You're Not The One has finally confirmed my feelings that I am still here for Sky... I still can't hide my disappointment that a full length album with Bloodshy & Avant/whoever else she was working with pre-2012 was never released but it can't be denied the artist she is now is a lot more interesting.

Everything Is Embarrassing was probably one of my favourite songs of last year. Lost In My Bedroom was amazing too and Sad Dream is just beautiful. Ghost, I could never really get into but I didn't like Red Lips one bit, I was so disappointed thinking that was the kind of music she'd be making now. This 80's sound pop with alternative influences, I like and I'll definitely give the album a chance. Ariel Rechtstaid is fabulous and I think I prefer Ariel with Sky and Dev with Solange anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think You're Not The One has finally confirmed my feelings that I am still here for Sky... I still can't hide my disappointment that a full length album with Bloodshy & Avant/whoever else she was working with pre-2012 was never released but it can't be denied the artist she is now is a lot more interesting.

The majority of "Cry Baby" (the original first album) has leaked in it's entirety and other than One, I think the majority of it is best left on the cutting room floor. It's material Katy Perry, Britney, Rihanna had all rejected aswell as about 3 other artists before it finally reached Sky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The album is being streamed to journalists and the reviews are beginning to come in. I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the most acclaimed albums of the year. I think Pitchfork might be streaming this tomorrow.

Two very positive reviews.

http://www.factmag.com/2013/10/22/night-time-my-time/
    http://thoughtcatalog.com/alex-kazemi/2013/10/first-listen-sky-ferreiras-debut-album-night-time-my-time/
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    The years of waiting for a Sky Ferreira album was worth it. This album is like flawless.

Heavy Metal Heart, I Will and I Blame Myself are screaming to be singles but Nobody Asked (If I Was OK), Omanko and Kristine are my favourites but I am in love with every track tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The years of waiting for a Sky Ferreira album was worth it. This album is like flawless.

Heavy Metal Heart, I Will and I Blame Myself are screaming to be singles but Nobody Asked (If I Was OK), Omanko and Kristine are my favourites but I am in love with every track tbh.

The album is fantastic, I agree. I'm so pleased she was able to grow as an artist, the wait was definitely worth it. Omanko is the standout for me at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's not on iTunes?!:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's not on iTunes?!:confused:

US/Canada/Mexico only for now. No idea if it'll receive a release outside these territories as the label cancelled the vinyl and physical release.

In other news the album reached #10 on US iTunes, quite a feat considering You're Not the One didn't get sent for adds and she's done no promo aside from a few magazine interviews.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised more people on here haven't listened to the album, it'll definitely feature on quite a few end of year lists that's for sure.

Anyway at the end of the month Sky's label are putting out a B-Sides EP containing songs that didn't make Night Time, My Time.
    1. I Can't Say No To Myself
    2. I'm On Top
    3. Werewolf (I Like You)

A part 2 looks like it will follow containing a few other tracks aswell

http://www.amoeba.com/night-time-my-time-b-sides-pt-1-cd-sky-ferreira/albums/3035825/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised more people on here haven't listened to the album, it'll definitely feature on quite a few end of year lists that's for sure.

Anyway at the end of the month Sky's label are putting out a B-Sides EP containing songs that didn't make Night Time, My Time.
    1. I Can't Say No To Myself
    2. I'm On Top
    3. Werewolf (I Like You)

A part 2 looks like it will follow containing a few other tracks aswell

http://www.amoeba.com/night-time-my-time-b-sides-pt-1-cd-sky-ferreira/albums/3035825/

I think that's probably due in part to the shoddy release of the album. With very little promotion from her label, no proper physical release and the digital album just dumped online with little prior warning outside the US, it's not surprising that the album isn't getting a great deal of attention from most people. It's such a shame, because she has a lot of potential and there's some great stuff on the album. Looking forward to hearing the extra tracks too!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I love 'Everything is Embarassing' and 'You're Not The One', so I streamed the album in full yesterday, but I was quite disappointed. I expected something edgier and more unique. It's not a bad album, but it's not that different from your average indie pop album.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love this album. I like the indie pop/rock thing is doing. I wasn't that crazy about Everything is Embarassing everyone was raving about. I'm glad she went away from doing the electro pop thing, I feel a more alternative rock based mixed with some 80's synths sound suits her much more. I'm getting a Courtney Love vibe from this album which I love. I love electro pop too but I don't think it suited her. This sound is really her and obviously what she wants to do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this album slays and its rare for me to adore every single track on an album but i do with this one (except for the title track but 11/12 is not bad heh)

easily the best album of 2013 for me