Options

Will my PC get damaged?

Rob_Clarke1Rob_Clarke1 Posts: 41
Forum Member
I leave my PC on 24/7 a day and never turn it of, does anyone else does this? if I don't turn it of, will it damage my PC? I just bought it a few months back before I got sanctioned from Job Centre, its a new system with tower and LCD Monitor, took me ages to save up for it mind, its also Windows 7, I am glad its not Windows XP as XP is not safe anymore since the support ended. :D

Just worried that's all, glad I got a PC as I need internet for Job Searching :)

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would suggest that if you really must leave it on, set the power options to put in in standby mode after a period of inactivity, it will consume less power and allow the hard drive to spin down and hopefully prolong it's life.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    My brother leaves his on 24/7 and only restarts it when it updates etc. Has been doing this for years with no issues
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Set it to a sleep after 2 hrs and the monitor to 1hr to save money, But plenty off people like me leave the actual pc running (not the monitor) and have no problems for 6 to 10 years, but you must keep the fans clean of dust or that will kill it quickly, turn it of once a month and blow out the fans more often if you have cats dogs.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I leave my PC on 24/7 a day and never turn it of, does anyone else does this? if I don't turn it of, will it damage my PC? I just bought it a few months back before I got sanctioned from Job Centre, its a new system with tower and LCD Monitor, took me ages to save up for it mind, its also Windows 7, I am glad its not Windows XP as XP is not safe anymore since the support ended. :D

Just worried that's all, glad I got a PC as I need internet for Job Searching :)
    You will get a few opinions on this but no you won't damage your PC by leaving it on 24/7,--I do with one of mine.

However while LCD monitors don't suffer screen image burn as much earlier CRT monitors did, why don't you turn off your monitor anyway, save a couple of quid a year.

However there is a couple of caveats to all of the above, should your property suffer with an electricity spike or even more unlikely get hit by lightening, nothing will take out a PCs motherboard quicker.

So there is a lot of merit to the argument to unplugging your PC, and I mean unplugging it and not just turning it off.

I'm sure you are but if not back up your document's you will never regret it.

Win 7 is fine and you can set it so your PC goes into hibernation----but still not the same as turning it off----but I don't bother with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for you're opinions guys and gals lol, I will turn it on sleep mode just in case ;)
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing dangerous about it, think how many computers are in operation 24/7.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mines been on for about four years now apart for the odd hours maintenance - never in sleep mode. I turn the screen off of course.

I'd agree with the comment about watching the dust build up mind
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Dust is computer cancer so definitely keep on top of that, Internally and externally where possible
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you pay for your own electricity or is it included in your rent?

If you do pay the electric bill you'd notice a significant reduction in cost if you turned the machine off when you're not using it.

It wouldn't matter so much if it was a laptop, but towers can eat through energy even if you have the monitor turned off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Do you pay for your own electricity or is it included in your rent?

If you do pay the electric bill you'd notice a significant reduction in cost if you turned the machine off when you're not using it.

It wouldn't matter so much if it was a laptop, but towers can eat through energy even if you have the monitor turned off.

I have a pre-payment meter to top up my electric with a key.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a pre-payment meter to top up my electric with a key.

You'd save a lot of money if you turned off the PC when you're not using it, especially given that you're on a key meter.

My friend had a shitty meter plan and a ridiculously powerful computer, and it was costing him about £5 a day to run when it was on 24/7. Yours may not cost anything like that, but it's still an appreciable cost.
  • Options
    PES 2009PES 2009 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the main reason why you leave it on?

My PC at work has been on for about 5 years, no problems with it at all.

I always hibernate my home PC when not using it, with hibernate it boots up quicker. Many PCs use about 100 watts and if you leave it on 247 your electricity bill will be quite a bit higher.
  • Options
    White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing dangerous but its costing you a fortune in electricity.

Forget hibernate, just turn it off when not using it.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't damage it. Might slightly reduce the damage. However it wastes electricity that you're paying for.
  • Options
    Cracker_CakeCracker_Cake Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's a case of you can't be bothered to wait for it to boot up every time you turn it on then hibernation is the option to go for, boots up your PC in a matter of seconds and saves on power than leaving it on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's a case of you can't be bothered to wait for it to boot up every time you turn it on then hibernation is the option to go for, boots up your PC in a matter of seconds and saves on power than leaving it on.
    You can use both sleep and hibernation with Windows.

My laptop is set to sleep when the lid closes then after 3 hours of no use it hibernates. that means that during the day it comes back to life instantly but worst case is 20 seconds. You need to have wake timers enabled because it will wake out of sleep in order to hibernate but that shouldn't be a problem.

I get the benefit of an immediate start most of the time whilst also gaining reduced power consumption. Although truth to tell the difference in consumption between sleep and hibernate is pretty minimal.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, 1W = £1 a year if its on 24x7 @ that is at 12p per KWh. I suspect you pay more than that for you electricity if you are using a pre-pay meter.

So if your PC uses says 50W of power (a conservative estimate) and you leave your PC on 24x7 then its costing £50 a year to keep on. If you switch if off or hibernate for just half the time then you are saving £25 a year, even more if you PC uses more power or you pay more for your electricity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    So if your PC uses says 50W of power (a conservative estimate) and you leave your PC on 24x7 then its costing £50 a year to keep on.
    I'd say that's a reasonable estimate for an idle PC. Some might even be lower than that. Modern PC design means most of them shut down a lot of circuitry (including large swathes of the CPU) when there's not much going on.

The downside is that most PCs don't have particularly good PSUs and as their power demands drop the PSU falls off the bottom of its efficiency curve. With a decent PSU I'd hope that an idle PC would be down at 10w or less assuming HDDs had spun down.

I still think the people should power down computers when not in use or at least get them into sleep mode. Waste is waste and I don't like it. I consider it poor management and something to be embarrassed about ;)
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally i'd turn it off unless it's in use for something such as downloading. Not much point leaving something on that isn't being used. Why not leave all your lights switched on? Save having to switch them on at night then!

I have a PVR which has a brilliant 'feature'. Rather than leave it in standby mode you can set it to 'low power' mode or something where it consumes less than 1 watt.

Brilliant money saving idea........except it won't record any programmes if left in this mode! How silly is that!! So it has to be left in standby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I have a PVR which has a brilliant 'feature'. Rather than leave it in standby mode you can set it to 'low power' mode or something where it consumes less than 1 watt.

Brilliant money saving idea........except it won't record any programmes if left in this mode! How silly is that!! So it has to be left in standby.
    I have two PVRs. The Sky HD box has three modes. On, Standby and Power Save. Standby apparently uses nearly as much power as On. Power Save apparently consumes less than 1w but won't record anything in that mode.

My other PVR is a Humax HDR (Freesat) box. It has a 1w mode but it will wake up a couple of minutes before a recording is due (or fifteen minutes before if 'accurate record' is enabled.
  • Options
    speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a good job we've got so much cheap power for all you people to leave your PC's on all day and night.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    I have two PVRs. The Sky HD box has three modes. On, Standby and Power Save. Standby apparently uses nearly as much power as On. Power Save apparently consumes less than 1w but won't record anything in that mode.

My other PVR is a Humax HDR (Freesat) box. It has a 1w mode but it will wake up a couple of minutes before a recording is due (or fifteen minutes before if 'accurate record' is enabled.
    Are you sure? Mine is also a Humax but the Freeview one (FOX-T2). It states in my manual it won't record if left on 'power save'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Are you sure? Mine is also a Humax but the Freeview one (FOX-T2). It states in my manual it won't record if left on 'power save'.
    Yup, I'm sure. Mine is for Freesat not Freeview. So a different model. Pretty sure the HDR came out a year after the T2.

When not doing anything all you see is a glowing red LED bar. Right now it's recording something so I also see the clock and a couple of icons. It brought itself out of 'deep sleep' to do the recording. It'll go back into a coma when it's done :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never turn my lappy off but it does hibernate overnight.
  • Options
    ontheloop54ontheloop54 Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you have to restart for updates?