Chasing Shadows

Comments

• BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying this and Reece Shearsmith character is great. Loving a bit of Noel Clarke to :blush:
  • Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was enjoying episode one, but by the end of episode two the horrible script and bad acting (Reece himself is good) really brought it down for me. Actually there was a good scene where the boyfriend cries in police interview, and he was convincing, unlike the useless actor playing the cop : the casting agent should be shot.
    The truly revolting apres-sex scene was even more disturbing than the one in Salamander! Nobody would touch that with a ten-foot pole, surely?
    I'd like to see a second series but with a much better script and everyone but Reece Shearsmith replaced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was enjoying episode one, but by the end of episode two the horrible script and bad acting (Reece himself is good) really brought it down for me. Actually there was a good scene where the boyfriend cries in police interview, and he was convincing, unlike the useless actor playing the cop : the casting agent should be shot.
    The truly revolting apres-sex scene was even more disturbing than the one in Salamander! Nobody would touch that with a ten-foot pole, surely?
    I'd like to see a second series but with a much better script and everyone but Reece Shearsmith replaced.

I think a lot of your points are good, but I would also replace Shearsmith, as i am not convinced at all by his acting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member

Kingston is certainly putting in a massive performance. I think she must
    still think she is on stage in "Macbeth" with Kenneth Branagh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kingston is certainly putting in a massive performance. I think she must
    still think she is on stage in "Macbeth" with Kenneth Branagh.

Well at least she worthy of acting with the great man, can't see Shearsmith getting a call from Sir Kenneth anytime soon.
  • Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People aren't being forced to watch the show. If you don't like the main actor then you don't have keep watching. I find it entertaining enough to keep watching even though I don't think it's up their with the best.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    I thought the second episode was far better than the first but overall it was only just average. Terrible acting and below par script, it reminded me of an episode of The Bill in its last days.
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. That poster is just antagonistic, bitter and I suspect - a child. It's only television. Just be pleased you haven't got Ebola.
    This is a television thread. People sometimes have strong feelings about TV programs/actors. Surely this is the ideal place to air those feelings?
    Your comment about Ebola reads pretty childish in itself.

As to the program...
    It's okay (not great), the acting is okay. Shearsmith is okay...It's watchable.

And to the person who said don't watch a program if you don't like the lead actor, that's a rather rash statement. Sometimes you can enjoy a program despite disliking the lead actor, because the writing, production and acting are so good.
    Not sure this particular program could manage that. But it might get better...
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I think the story is full of clichés, the acting of the main character is superb. He really deserves the highest awards both for this and the one in which he played the killer (sorry, can't remember the name).
    Forum Member
    via_487 wrote: »
    This is a television thread. People sometimes have strong feelings about TV programs/actors. Surely this is the ideal place to air those feelings?
    Your comment about Ebola reads pretty childish in itself.

As to the program...
    It's okay (not great), the acting is okay. Shearsmith is okay...It's watchable.

And to the person who said don't watch a program if you don't like the lead actor, that's a rather rash statement. Sometimes you can enjoy a program despite disliking the lead actor, because the writing, production and acting are so good.
    Not sure this particular program could manage that. But it might get better...

In. Your. Opinion.
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    While I think the story is full of clichés, the acting of the main character is superb. He really deserves the highest awards both for this and the one in which he played the killer (sorry, can't remember the name).

The killer was Malcolm Webster. And yes, he was superb. An utterly chilling
    portrayal of mundane evil.
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    Well if no-one was a critic on DSF, it would be a very short lived, as the entry's would be few and far, and sorry the idea of this platform is to praise and be a critic, everyone has as much right at say what they like, including in my opinion that the main acting is bad.

Yes, I think I remember many posts ago, saying to you exactly that. You are entitled to not like it. It's fine. Well done. Moving on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it, good twists and turns. Also, the central premise of having a detective with autism is great, as his thought processes make for great structure.

I don't see why anybody needs to be replaced. The whole drama is two episodes in and some of you are already throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

It's not quite Happy Valley, but I love drama that makes me think and doesn't spoonfeed me.

Right up until the final moments I wasn't sure if the girl was the killer. But, I had my suspicions, because of this line.

"I squat here, I wasn't taken."

That signposted to me that she definitely was not a victim.

Looking forward to the next episode.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show was watchable enough.

And Noel Clarke is certainly not shy.;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it, good twists and turns. Also, the central premise of having a detective with autism is great.

i agree, and it really worked well in The series 'The Tunnel' as the actress playing the part was a great actress, so it is a shame, in my opinion, we can't say the same of this. i just don't think RS has the depth of acting to play the part. Shame.
    Forum Member
    I liked it, good twists and turns. Also, the central premise of having a detective with autism is great, as his thought processes make for great structure.

I don't see why anybody needs to be replaced. The whole drama is two episodes in and some of you are already throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

It's not quite Happy Valley, but I love drama that makes me think and doesn't spoonfeed me.

Right up until the final moments I wasn't sure if the girl was the killer. But, I had my suspicions, because of this line.

"I squat here, I wasn't taken."

That signposted to me that she definitely was not a victim.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Yes - it works really well - and Shearsmith really has such a great depth to his acting. I look forward to seeing how his and Ruth's relationship develops in the next story.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a drama it's better than some.
    But two things really are hard to swallow.
    In this age of policing, he wouldn't be allowed to work as he does. "Could he even pass the height requirement for a police officer?

There was a *"pantomime factor" moment in the last episode when Alex Kingston (the supposedly "sensible one") in this day of constant restricting "risk assessments" went into the building on her own. Yes, it's just a drama, but we deserve more skillful writing.
    That was silly and a bit of an insult to the intelligence of the viewer.

* http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20Pantomime%20Factor&defid=3195441
    Forum Member
    As a drama it's better than some.
    But two things really are hard to swallow.
    In this age of policing, he wouldn't be allowed to work as he does. "Could he even pass the height requirement for a police officer?

There was a *"pantomime factor" moment in the last episode when Alex Kingston (the supposedly "sensible one") in this day of constant restricting "risk assessments" went into the building on her own. Yes, it's just a drama, but we deserve more skillful writing.
    That was silly and a bit of an insult to the intelligence of the viewer.

* http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20Pantomime%20Factor&defid=3195441

Height aside - I don't know the requirements, I don't think the character is so odd that he
    couldn't be in the job. At best he is rude, and uncommunicative. It's not like he is behaving like Rain man or Forest Gump.
  • marcina bolanmarcina bolan Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a massive Shearsmith fan, and I think the show is fab. He plays the character well. And sure he's autistic and can come across as offhand and rude, but the last episode shows that he does have a vulnerable side to his personality. I don't normally watch drama's but watched this as Reece was in it. I don't see how his acting has disappointed anybody? It's a character for Gods sake, and I think he''s pulled it off pretty well for what the character is. I haven't felt the writing/plot to be particularly rubbish but each to their own.
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I predict that, on the outside that chance that they want to make a second series of this, then they will recast the leading role. Back in 2000 ITV cast the smooth John Hanna as the gritty detective Rebus and it did not really work. With Ken Stott it became a success.

They need someone like Ben Wishaw, Russell Tovey, Eddie Redmayne, or any one of a lot of decent actors it might just work.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The killer was Malcolm Webster. And yes, he was superb. An utterly chilling
    portrayal of mundane evil.

Well, that experiment worked. You're Jane Shearsmith and I claim my £10.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    I predict that, on the outside that chance that they want to make a second series of this, then they will recast the leading role. Back in 2000 ITV cast the smooth John Hanna as the gritty detective Rebus and it did not really work. With Ken Stott it became a success.

They need someone like Ben Wishaw, Russell Tovey, Eddie Redmayne, or any one of a lot of decent actors it might just work.

I agree, a better actor in the lead and this would have been a much better drama, I hope if a second series is made, it will be recast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And good to see some of the more personal comments are now gone, ie Ebola, that was in bad taste, let's get back to making only comments on the acting etc..
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    And good to see some of the more personal comments are now gone, ie Ebola, that was in bad taste, let's get back to making only comments on the acting etc..

Yes - just rude comments about actors ... Where were we.... ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Well, that experiment worked. You're Jane Shearsmith and I claim my £10.

Well earlier I thought it was the man himself! As they not posted in any other forum, and have only just come on, and really taking the critic of RS personal.