Whay are a few New Posters so hostile?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
Forum Member
✭✭✭
New posters are being welcomed to Digital Spy forums all the time.

However, I am of the opinion that a few new posters seem to be hell bent on causing controversy by starting threads which are blatently "troll" threads, with the sole intention of causing arguments and discord amongst OPs who have been posting for quite some time.

I'm wondering what the reason for such hostile new posters joining is; could it be as a result of the economic downturn that people are generally becoming more hostile and provocative towards others (both online and "on the streets" in general.

Do people now feel that it is acceptable to gain attention by any means - whether through courtesy or downright confrontation.

In short - is this a sign of the times.?

Comments

• TheMagic8ballTheMagic8ball Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, it's looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are just trolls and have been removed quite quickly.

I really don't see a problem. Just don't respond.
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think you know what an OP is tbh.

However the reason is simple, if you want to troll you are not going to get your 5 year - 6,000 post account banned are you?

But its unfair to tar all new members with the same brush.Some are trolls, some are not. But the reason above explains the disproportion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some have clearly been allowing their resentments and self-esteem issues to simmer for years, and it all comes bursting out when they post for the first time. A foolish strategy, as getting banned will make them worse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    They are just trolls and have been removed quite quickly.

I really don't see a problem. Just don't respond.

Oh, you know yourself that sometimes one can't resist.

Do you remember last night, for example. It was so Fruity.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Empirical wrote: »
    I dont think you know what an OP is tbh.

However the reason is simple, if you want to troll you are not going to get your 5 year - 6,000 post account banned are you?

But its unfair to tar all new members with the same brush
    .Some are trolls, some are not. But the reason above explains the disproportion.

I didn't I specifically said "some".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't I specifically said "some".

True, but I was in the mindest of your post on that other thread to border, even though I think you were making a point (not being serious) and got the posts confused :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, you know yourself that sometimes one can't resist.

Do you remember last night, for example. It was so Fruity.:D

I know, the rum&coke had taken over:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I know, the rum&coke had taken over:D

You get to a point though don't you when you just realise you had better stop for the sake of the poor, inadequate, misguided individual you are railing against.

I know I just have on the Haloween thread.

I prefer it to cruelty to animals though.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, but I was in the mindest of your post on that other thread to border, even though I think you were making a point (not being serious) and got the posts confused :)

Well, I didn't get the posts confused, but you're right, I did start the thread as a sort of sideline to my debate in the other thread.;)

Anyway, I've stopped now. One can only verbally attack nasty trolls for so long before you become one yourself.

And it's no fun when one's sparring with an obvious inferior.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I didn't get the posts confused, but you're right, I did start the thread as a sort of sideline to my debate in the other thread.:

No, no, I meant that I got the posts confused. Whilst answering this I still had that one in my mind out of context and so forgot the "some" part. Hope that makes sense :)
  • TheMagic8ballTheMagic8ball Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I didn't get the posts confused, but you're right, I did start the thread as a sort of sideline to my debate in the other thread.;)

Anyway, I've stopped now. One can only verbally attack nasty trolls for so long before you become one yourself.

And it's no fun when one's sparring with an obvious inferior.:rolleyes:

I don't think the poster was a troll, I think you both just got a little too heated in the debate.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I just go the more environmentally friendly forums when it it all gets a bit much in GD.

Such as the music and movie forums.

ERP/Convextion/Gerard Hanson - Vox Automaton
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB07Bizwn0g

ERP/Convextion/Gerard Hanson - El Camino
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TK6TRfeiwA

ERP/Convextion/Gerard Hanson - Gallup String
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSUmSVLgWJU

Sorry. Got a bit carried away there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    As a lurker for many years but a fairly new poster, this is pretty unfair. Just because your having a tiff with someone on the halloween thread who happens to have less then 1000+ posts doesnt mean we are all here to cause arguments. I am more then happy for you to go through the threads i have started and the replies i have posted, because i am a pretty un-confrontational poster :D No tarnashing us yet!!
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does hostile mean?
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I don't think the poster was a troll, I think you both just got a little too heated in the debate.

TBH I think the guy is/was just out to wind up in a way that came across as trolling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Also, one thing that i must say, people arent "trolls" just because they have a strong opinion. Thats now just a silly internet saying that has got out of hand because people forget what "trolls" really are.
  • BorderReiverBorderReiver Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think I did. As I said, I politely provided some facts and an alternative point of view. These were dismissed as being beneath Anastasia's contempt as I haven't been a member here long (an attitude, which, if applied to everyone by this poster makes him/her potentially extremely arrogant). It's also evident from a certain embarrassing incident that s/he hadn't read my posts properly anyway.

I then asked for an apology, to which I was told I was "damaged" and "inferior".

I considered reporting her at this point, but I think the thread stands up well enough and anyone who reads his/her conduct will be as fundementally unimpressed as I was. This seems, for the most part, like a decent forum with some intelligent posters. Some it seems don't learn wisdom with age though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH I think the guy is/was just out to wind up in a way that came across as trolling.

I assure you I'm not out to wind you up. I'd be a strange wind-up merchant to do so with a well supported and argued case with corrobarative evidence.

Have you considered the possibility I simply presented you some questions and information you weren't able to answer/square with your world view, and that made you uncomfortable?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, no, I meant that I got the posts confused. Whilst answering this I still had that one in my mind out of context and so forgot the "some" part. Hope that makes sense :)

Oh, I'm sorry. I think I'd become a bit verbally "punch Drunk".:cry:
    Forum Member
    I assure you I'm not out to wind you up. I'd be a strange wind-up merchant to do so with a well supported and argued case with corrobarative evidence.

Have you considered the possibility I simply presented you some questions and information you weren't able to answer/square with your world view, and that made you uncomfortable?

Yeah whatever Border and one thing you didn't do is make me feel uncomfortable with a few wiki links so don't kid yourself; also you're not dealing with pedrock here.

I'll leave you to fester on that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah whatever Border and one thing you didn't do is make me feel uncomfortable with a few wiki links so don't kid yourself; also you're not dealing with pedrock here.

I'll leave you to fester on that.

Well there's an erudite reply :rolleyes:

At the very least Pedrock engaged with a debate (no matter how outclassed he was) instead of evaporating when things got uncomfortable. If it helps you to think you've scored a point and left me "festering" you go right ahead. But your "victory" in the Halloween thread involves you at home, with the lights off, ignoring children at your door having had your original reason for such behaviour demolished.

It's you who have to justify that to yourself, not me. Of course you spoke of "hoardes" of children. How terrifying for you. Good luck against them! Perhaps if you stay really, really quiet they won't . . . ummm . . . well you won't have to do whatever it is you're so opposed to doing now that your historic and cultural objections have been shown up as dross.

Like I said, I'll be having a pleasant community minded evening and doubtless having a bit of fun into the bargain. My fiance makes a mean Vampiress. If that comparison makes you uncomfortable perhaps you could report me for being unreasonable/hostile?
    Forum Member
    Nite nite Border, enjoy your dreams ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nite nite Border, enjoy your dreams ;)

So, at the end of the day, all you have to fall back on is that someone who is self-evidently better informed than yourself is the not-so-subtle implication that this person is a fantasist.

How dissapointing.
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone tell me!! -has breakdown-