Options

Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    On the assumption that the costume designer is making a deliberate choice, what is the reason behind putting Louisa in the same dress and sweater in the scene where she goes to confront Louisa in episode 4 (and forgives her) - and again the Series finale at the castle?
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookfan2 wrote: »
    We know that Eleonor is self-centered, but the apology she gives to Louis at the end of episode 4 seems sincere. It doesn't change her behavior. She is still focused on herself. But I think the apology was real, as was her visit to Louisa in the final episode when she says she doesn't want her to feel abandoned. She is still leaving PW, but maybe with a little more awareness of what she has done?

Or am I being too kind to her? I see her as different than Martin's mother, although an equally poor parent.

Bookfan, I don't think she was as bad a mother to Louisa as Martin's mother was for him. She was flaky, self-absorbed, manipulative, and did leave the family when Louisa was a girl -- we don't know how old. I think though that she was not cold, and did not actively dislike Louisa. Probably there were moments of affection. Not a good mother, certainly, but not in the same league as Margaret (is that her name)?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

Thanks again Connie

Next time I'm definitely coming back as horse or a dog

Then MC will notice me...maybe...;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Having checked out a couple of English/British slang sites, is what the reporter says "lurky" (which is not listed) or "lurgy"? The latter term, including the "dreaded lurgy", is defined as an unspecified illness.

Folks over the pond--which does the reporter say. If it is "lurky", is that official slang for diarrhea which isn't showing up on-line for me?

It's LURGY - slang for any unspecified but not serious illness
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    American tv came up with a new doctor drama which is a no-brainer, what I mean is no brains. It's about a young, beautiful blond (Jordana Spiro) Chicago surgeon who, to pay off a family debt, moonlights as a physician for the South Side Mafia. At least, why can't they cast a believable, tough-looking woman who can handle this seedy side of her practice?
    Another thing, wasn't there talk that BP sold American rights to do the DM series here?:eek: Don't they realize that MC owns that part and no one else can take his place? ::D
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Bookfan, I don't think she was as bad a mother to Louisa as Martin's mother was for him. She was flaky, self-absorbed, manipulative, and did leave the family when Louisa was a girl -- we don't know how old. I think though that she was not cold, and did not actively dislike Louisa. Probably there were moments of affection. Not a good mother, certainly, but not in the same league as Margaret (is that her name)?

Margaret and Chris are absolutely horrid human beings and were even worse parents.

Eleanor was a terrible, truly terrible woman and parent. Thinking of yourself alone, and walking away from your children, knowing you are leaving them in the hands of an irresponsible, also self absorbed gambling addicted father is simply awful. I dislike Eleanor greatly, and still did in the finale. Selfish, self-absorbed people, even if they worry their eternally selfish and self-absorbed actions might make others feel bad, are, for me, very disagreeable people. Eleanor hides her distasteful personality in a softer superficial layer, but 1 mm below that level is Eleanor always simply out for Eleanor.

It made sense plot-wise to have both our lead characters have bad problems with difficult parents, so that they could both have their adult issues and both need to grow themselves and into their relationship, parenting. But, I really hope we don't see any parents again on the series.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Thanks again Connie

Next time I'm definitely coming back as horse or a dog

Then MC will notice me...maybe...;)

I'd like to be this dog. :D:D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62587488@N02/7975096422/in/photostream
  • Options
    lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    We know that Eleonor is self-centered, but the apology she gives to Louis at the end of episode 4 seems sincere. It doesn't change her behavior. She is still focused on herself. But I think the apology was real, as was her visit to Louisa in the final episode when she says she doesn't want her to feel abandoned. She is still leaving PW, but maybe with a little more awareness of what she has done?

Or am I being too kind to her? I see her as different than Martin's mother, although an equally poor parent.

You're being too kind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

Me too !

That's all I ask

A good cuddle

No other demands

Going for a swim to cool myself down...;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Me too !

That's all I ask

A good cuddle

No other demands

Going for a swim to cool myself down...;)

Well, if we are discussing reincarnation, I think I'd come back as PB, and then I could demand a few more mutually satisfying things....:o;):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemster wrote: »
    You're being too kind.

You're right :) Eleonor has "in the moment" regret that doesn't alter behavior patterns
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Well, if we are discussing reincarnation, I think I'd come back as PB, and then I could demand a few more mutually satisfying things....:o;):)

Get in line!:D:p;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Am I right, you want MC, not DM?

As much as I want Martin and Louisa together, I wouldn't Martin myself, if for no other reason than I like chocolate too much to give it up for his sensible diet ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As much as I want Martin and Louisa together, I wouldn't Martin myself, if for no other reason than I like chocolate too much to give it up for his sensible diet ;)

Look

DM is fiction right ?

I want the real thing

Plain and simple ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm more attracted to DM than MC, (love those alpha males in expensive suits), but my last hold on PW sanity does still realize you must have the latter to get the former. :)

With DM I could eat my caramels while teaching school, unbeknowst by dear Martie....and I do love fish as much as he does. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biff and I just watched "Sh*t Happens", the S1E3 assignment for this week.

We are wondering if Mrs. T had an adulterous relationship with Dr. Simms. As soon as she meets DM, she mentions she used to spend hours with Dr. Simms, talking, discussing, drinking tea, eating cakes, bisquits, etc. As far as we know, Dr. Simms lived alone, and was a bachelor physician.

Here is wild speculation--Mrs. T and Dr. Simms had a "relationship" which helped her with Clive being away all the time. When Dr. Simms died and another available bachelor GP took over, perhaps the very lonely Mrs. T hoped she could continue her liaisons with the new doc, and prepared thusly, with the cake and other supplies.

Was Mrs. T in love with Dr. Simms? Wild speculators have no answer, but no doubt hanging out with him all the time did reduce her loneliness a great deal. It makes the years when DM is there, and there is no connection with him, kind of more tragic for Mrs. T, especially when she actually falls in love with our dear doc. When exactly does she fall in love with DM?

Or does she fall in love with the idea of having a local man in her life all the time, since she so rarely sees Clive, whom she has fallen out of love with, and she wound up fixated on DM?

We hope these are some interesting Mrs. T thoughts to think about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching S2-E6, "The Family Way." Mums of all sorts; two mums to be, a horrid mum, and one in the wings (LG).

Where would we be without them? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, folks, I just finished the S2 Christmas special that just re-aired on KCET. It's interesting to me the discrepancy in how this episode is shot. The whole look and feel is different from the shows before and after. All I can come up with is the lighting not as bright or carefully done, but it's almost like they used a different filming process? Also, the Doc is much more tan than in the other series. But the thing that bothers me most about this episode is the unconvincing and stagey way everyone, especially the Doc, is tied up. If the Doc simply flexed his chest, he'd be untied. :p
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, folks, I just finished the S2 Christmas special that just re-aired on KCET. It's interesting to me the discrepancy in how this episode is shot. The whole look and feel is different from the shows before and after. All I can come up with is the lighting not as bright or carefully done, but it's almost like they used a different filming process? Also, the Doc is much more tan than in the other series. But the thing that bothers me most about this episode is the unconvincing and stagey way everyone, especially the Doc, is tied up. If the Doc simply flexed his chest, he'd be untied. :p

I believe there is a story that MC went on vacation -- possibly in the Maldives, a favorite spot -- before shooting On the Edge, hence the tan.

I hadn't noticed the different look and feel but I wonder if for this one they didn't use film, as they usually do? MC made a big point of saying, on the Desert Islands program I think, how much better their production looked cinematically because they used film as opposed to .... I know not what, being totally ignorant in this area, but anyway, film instead of whatever is usually done these days.

I gather that this is regarded as their weakest show, in general. And actually, I found the plot rather tedious. Still, there were some good DM-LG bits. And the great line, "unctuous platitudinizing enuch."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm more attracted to DM than MC, (love those alpha males in expensive suits), but my last hold on PW sanity does still realize you must have the latter to get the former. :)

With DM I could eat my caramels while teaching school, unbeknowst by dear Martie....and I do love fish as much as he does. :)

' Sole ' mates then...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the sort of self talk children of mothers like Elinor specialize in to convince themselves that their mother does love them and really isn't all bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 1 episode 3 "Sh*t happens"

This is the episode where:

A stomach bug sweeps the village and patients fill Martin's surgery. Martin appears on the local radio station in an attempt to alert the village to a potential health scare, but his efforts misfire. Bert Large and his son have an argument over college and the future of the family businesses.

Written by: Dominic Minghella
    Directed by: Ben Bolt
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you think it might be the different light because it was later in the year - closer to winter than the other shows?

I havent watched it in ages but remember the pathetic rope tying. :eek:

It was also written by Jack Lothian. Not my favourite writer and into the dark side of doom and gloom. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I believe there is a story that MC went on vacation -- possibly in the Maldives, a favorite spot -- before shooting On the Edge, hence the tan.

I hadn't noticed the different look and feel but I wonder if for this one they didn't use film, as they usually do? MC made a big point of saying, on the Desert Islands program I think, how much better their production looked cinematically because they used film as opposed to .... I know not what, being totally ignorant in this area, but anyway, film instead of whatever is usually done these days.

I gather that this is regarded as their weakest show, in general. And actually, I found the plot rather tedious. Still, there were some good DM-LG bits. And the great line, "unctuous platitudinizing enuch."

The alternative is video tape. Doesn't pick up glints in eyes. That's how we saw tears in DMs eyes when LG dumped him.

Another alternative is digital but ATM most are filmed on film or video.
This discussion has been closed.