Potato Wedges

Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
Forum Member
I usually make potato wedges using the Schwartz packet flavourings.
Do you make your own using your own recipe of herbs, garlic etc?
Any ideas would be welcome :)

Comments

• indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I boil the wedges for 5 minutes, drain well and steam dry. Then carefully coat in olive oil, salt & pepper and a finely chopped clove of garlic. Roast about 40-50 minutes.
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    I boil the wedges for 5 minutes, drain well and steam dry. Then carefully coat in olive oil, salt & pepper and a finely chopped clove of garlic. Roast about 40-50 minutes.

Thanks for that idea :) I have never pre-boiled them before so will give that a go.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    Thanks for that idea :) I have never pre-boiled them before so will give that a go.

Keep an eye on them, you only want to slightly soften the edges otherwise they will fall to pieces when you give them a little shake to rough up the edges. The skin starts to separate from the potato in places but this means you get pieces of crispy skin when they are ready.....which can only be a good thing!
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always par boil them too. 50 minutes seems a long time in the oven, I normally only give them about 30 mins but all ovens are different.

Just drizzle with oil and then whatever herbs, spices etc you fancy. Just experiment with different stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never par boil - just wedge, rub with oil, salt, pepper and paprika then bake for half an hour.
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't par boil, I oil up a tray, get the oven to 220, throw in the wedges of potato which have been tossed in lots of salt, black pepper, paprika and cayenne and then give them 30 - 45 min until they're done. Serve up with BBQ sauce as a snack or onion rings, steak and peas as a meal :) yum!!
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your replies you have given me some good ideas :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really fancy some now!!!
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    orangebird wrote: »
    I never par boil - just wedge, rub with oil, salt, pepper and paprika then bake for half an hour.

Snap! Was just about to write the same. :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    I usually make potato wedges using the Schwartz packet flavourings.
    Do you make your own using your own recipe of herbs, garlic etc?
    Any ideas would be welcome :)
    I usually make my own out of the spices on the rack.

I don't par boil. I cut baby potatoes in half then add the herbs & spices then a glug of olive oil, toss it all about then put onto a baking tray and cook until tender.

A main basic rub is salt, pepper, sugar, paprika.
    There are many things you can add to that, chilli powder/sauce, onion granules, minced garlic etc.
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always par boil for about five minutes. I then toss in flour and season with salt and black pepper.
  • bostin_austinbostin_austin Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do this too, but add finely chopped fresh rosemary- absolutely gorgeous
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like them with a creamy garlic dip. Yum.:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I make them using fresh potatoes. Season with oil and pepper...sometimes cajun pepper or chilli so they have a kick. Then I stick it in the microwave for a little while and then in the oven.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I use jacket potatoes (like Marfona) and par boil the wedges for a couple of minutes. Then melt a little butter mixed with chilli powder and toss the wedges in that. Roast on a high heat for about 40 mins. Lovely with a cooling dip like garlic, onion and chive.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I'm going to make wedges on Saturday, maybe mix them with some chilli, oil and salt, pepper and few herbs :)
    How hot should I cook them after parboiling?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    orangebird wrote: »
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Snap! Was just about to write the same. :)

Another vote for no par boil, salt, pepper and paprika. :D

I like using the Spanish smoked hot paprika that you get in the wee tins, adds a nice heat to the wedges. Dip them in sour cream & chives and I'm in heaven.
  • ameewameew Posts: 2,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cut baking potatoes into wedges, toss with oil,seasoning ,crushed garlic and chilli flakes then cook at 200 deg for 40-45 minutes,turning halfway through.