Dawn of The Planet of The Apes

Comments

• Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I'm not really seeing much to get excited about in the latest trailer. The thing that stood out most to me was how unrealistic the apes looked. Did they get George Lucas to do it?

No, me neither.

Looks like a formulaic Them and Us tale with little depth or heart but plenty of special effects. I liked the original film and it was quite chilling. It's an unlikely source for what looks like by-the-numbers franchise fodder.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't it make more sense if the first was called "Dawn" and the second "Rise"?

I thought that too :confused: Good point.
    Saw the trailer and it looks really good, if too long like most Hollywood trailers are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to it, Gary Oldman is golden!
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    New final trailer. A little spoiler-ish perhaps, but impressive all the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpSaTrW4leg
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't it make more sense if the first was called "Dawn" and the second "Rise"?
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I thought that too :confused: Good point.
    I dunno, I think Rise, then Dawn is probably the correct order. 'Rise' to me suggests point 0, i.e. the seed, the germ, whatever you want to call it that triggered the situation. 'Dawn', to me, suggests that that situation has got a foothold, i.e. it's established and is spreading. If you think of it in terms of the sun, sunrise happens first and is the trigger that 'creates' dawn.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    I dunno, I think Rise, then Dawn is probably the correct order. 'Rise' to me suggests point 0, i.e. the seed, the germ, whatever you want to call it that triggered the situation. 'Dawn', to me, suggests that that situation has got a foothold, i.e. it's established and is spreading. If you think of it in terms of the sun, sunrise happens first and is the trigger that 'creates' dawn.

Dawn happens and the we Rise up.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although i thought the last film was good there's a fatal flaw to these reboots- we know how its gonna end.
    But at least so far these aren't an embarrassment to the canon of POTA.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    Although i thought the last film was good there's a fatal flaw to these reboots- we know how its gonna end.
    But at least so far these aren't an embarrassment to the canon of POTA.

Not really my cup of tea but caught the trail during Hunger games and it did look intense. Would we need to see the first one?
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    Not really my cup of tea but caught the trail during Hunger games and it did look intense. Would we need to see the first one?

If you want to understand Caeser's backstory and why the human population has been substantially reduced, yeah.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    If you want to understand Caeser's backstory and why the human population has been substantially reduced, yeah.

Ah ok thanks
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the director of Cloverfield and Let Me In. Early reviews are out and they're bloody fantastic! Wow. I didn't expect this. Definetely a must-see watch now. Have to wait another 2 or so weeks before it hits the UK.
    Heartbreaking and harrowing, 'Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes' is as good as big-budget science-fiction gets, technically dazzling and emotionally demanding.
    Critics frequently advise crowds to 'turn off their brains' when it comes to conventional popcorn flicks. The opposite holds true for Dawn. This groundbreaking, challenging and immensely rewarding sequel offers audiences a veritable feast consisting of mature science-fiction themes, complex emotional performances (both human and digital), and riveting combat set pieces.
    ....nothing in this movie feels calculated, prepackaged or made solely to sell toys. 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' isn’t just a great time at the theater, but a genuinely great movie without a single dull moment.
    An altogether smashing sequel to 2011′s better-than-expected 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes,' this vivid, violent extension of humanoid ape Caesar’s troubled quest for independence bests its predecessor in nearly every technical and conceptual department, with incoming helmer Matt Reeves conducting the proceedings with more assertive genre elan than 'Rise' journeyman Rupert Wyatt.
    ....the excellent screenplay by Mark Bomback, Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (the latter two the married co-writers and co-producers of 'Rise') emits grim but timely echoes of any number of contemporary societies coping with conflicts between moderate and extremist elements. It also leads, consciously or not, to reverberations that go as far back as Jean Renoir’s great 'Grand Illusion,' which stressed how the same classes of people in opposing nations can have far more in common than do different classes within the same country.
    The sequel to sci-fi franchise reboot 'Rise Of The Planet of the Apes' is heavier on ape-vs-human action than its predecessor and lighter on the kind of intimate drama that three years ago made the reboot a surprisingly affecting late summer hit. As such, the relatively generic 'Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes' is less emotionally resonant than 'Rise'....
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    Blimey 9.2 from Rotten Tomatoes is good.

I am really looking forward to this :D
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw the trailer, that was enough.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see this, looks great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    this will coming soon in our country i will watch this movie,
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Delighted it's getting great reviews. Can't wait for this.

I see three short films have been released that fills in the gaps between the films. As there's 10 years between them, the first is set 1 year after Rise, the second set 5 years after Rise, and the third set just before Dawn. I haven't watched them yet but will do soon.

They're called Before the Dawn and they're on YouTube I think.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    I still think it pretty amazing that of all the franchises brought back from the dead, this is the one that shows it can be done and done well.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    As if I wasn't already hyped enough for this film without it becoming a critical darling. :D
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    I thought the trailers gave a bit too much away but I'm still pretty damn hype about this. Good sign it's getting good reviews too. Will watch the first one again in the next few days to get me in the mood :)
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looking forward to this one
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read one review this morning that said that it's actually joined the ranks of Aliens and Terminator 2 as a sequel that is far better than the first one. High praise indeed !
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    Re-watched Rise today and I was surprised at how much darker it was than I remembered.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Jackapple wrote: »
    Saw the trailer, that was enough.
    Your loss, seems to be shaping up to be one of the best sci fi films ever made.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Looks like 130 minutes of running, jumping and shouting.

What happened to dialogue?