Neighbour has a low (4ft) fence

marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im buying a house that we really like, the only problem is the next door neighbours fence. Its a new one they have just put in, but its only 4 ft tall. The patio area in the garden of the house we are buying sits right next to it so we will be in full view of them all the time. Ive not met them and we may get on, but still id like some privacy. As its their fence, i cannot take it down or attach onto it, so what can i do?

Why do people bother putting these low fences in for gardens ill never know. Doesnt anyone like privacy in their garden?

Comments

• GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you not erect your own fencing that runs parallel with theirs. Obviously you'd have to leave a gap of a few inches as not to disturb their work, but what you do in the privacy of your own garden is your business, as long as you're not disturbing anyone.

I'd introduce myself and point out my concerns first though, as I wouldn't want my neighbours to think I was up myself and didn't want to exchange pleasantries.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could put up a bamboo screen - cheaper than a fence, but still gives you a little privacy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Well some people do actually chat to their neighbours and don't feel the need for 6 feet barriers between each other. Your neighbours can still here you talking when your outside anyway however high the fence is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    As second poster said put up your own fence. They should be within their boundary and as long as you do the same there can't be any complaint - unless you go for a massive fence that is :)
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit that I'm like you, OP, and hate the sort of gardens with low fences. It's not an unsocial thing, its just that I do like privacy in the back garden.

I'd avoid the house, tbh, but failing that I'd stick up a screen just inside your boundary...
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I am also like you OP, a back garden should be private, and I would also recommend putting up your own 6ft fence, no higher, but if you do want an extra bit of height, then you can erect trellis work a foot above the fence ;)
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    A second fence sounds like it may cause of-fence (apologies).

If you can erect something else which gives you privacy, like a small shed, arbour or some conifers, it will look more natural. Alternatively, ask the new neighbours if they'd mind you adding some trellis and creeper plants to the top of the fence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    A second fence sounds like it may cause of-fence (apologies).

If you can erect something else which gives you privacy, like a small shed, arbour or some conifers, it will look more natural. Alternatively, ask the new neighbours if they'd mind you adding some trellis and creeper plants to the top of the fence.

If you are polite then it shouldn't cause offence. But if a fence causes the neighbour to be angry then I think so will conifers. or other things that block the neighbours view.

I would ask the current owners about the situation see what their advice might be I know they will be bias due to the fact they want to sell but you could probably tell if their is a situation from their body language
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    You could put up a bamboo screen - cheaper than a fence, but still gives you a little privacy.

thats what we did works fine and no aggro
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get some quite nice free-standing trellises with planters at the bottom to put plants in. I am not a gardener but honeysuckle seems to grow quite well and provide a good screen.

I found this on Google images and thought it was very attractive.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/38435/6h/www.improvementscatalog.com/images/en_US/local/products/248x/outdoor-privacy-screen-342350.jpg
  • horseychick28horseychick28 Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what about a pergola with stuff growing on it, that would be nice
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As faras I am aware, by law, if you erect a fence to act as a barrier at the border between two properties, the fence is deemed common regardless of who paid for it. Therefore, I should think you are legally entitled to extend the fence by 2 feet to make it up to the allowable 6 foot.

Of course, being legally right and morally right are two different things.
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your replys, you have all been most helpful.
    I think the plan is to move in and wait a month or too until we have seen and spoken to them, we will highlight our concerns with the low fence they have put in and tell them we are putting a screen up by the patio area to provide some privacy.

I will go with the bamboo i think and then further up the garden i will plant some evergreen shrubs to grow to about 6 foot high so we dont have to see the fence at all.

Anyone know some good plants that are bushy, but dont grow too wild. No conifers though!
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and if we dont get on with them, i will be putting the 6 foot fence in my part of the garden!
    But im sure we will get on!

If they have kids, the fence is going up too, i cant stand being in the garden and kids are hanging over the fence staring at you. Ive had that before too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc822 wrote: »

If they have kids, the fence is going up too, i cant stand being in the garden and kids are hanging over the fence staring at you. Ive had that before too.

Me too :( and so we put up a higher fence to stop them. Turns out it didn't, they'd put their bikes against the fence and use them to stand on to see over! :eek: Luckily they're in their teens now so tend not to do it anymore!!
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,131
    Forum Member
    We had the 4ft fence situation at our previous house. We put up a 6ft trellis panels parallel to the fence - the way we put it to the neighbours was that we wanted to grow climbers up the fence and 4ft was not high enough for the type of plants we wanted. No offence was caused - in fact then loaned us some tools to help put up the trellis, and we did grow climbing roses, solanum, clematis etc, to clothe the trellis so it became invisible.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would not be offended if new neighbours moved in and put up a new fence. I might even welcome it.

You have no idea of the relationship between the people selling the house and their neighbours. They could be very good friends, they could even be family and therefore like the low fence.

Or they might have just never gotten round to putting a bigger fence in. I know the current fence is new, but maybe that's all they could afford at the time or someone did them a deal - you just don't know.

You have no idea if you are going to get on with the neighbours or not. And even if you do, there is nothing wrong with wanting personal space and privacy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a thought. Sunflowers grow quickly and are really pretty!
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thedrewser wrote: »
    As faras I am aware, by law, if you erect a fence to act as a barrier at the border between two properties, the fence is deemed common regardless of who paid for it. Therefore, I should think you are legally entitled to extend the fence by 2 feet to make it up to the allowable 6 foot.

Of course, being legally right and morally right are two different things.

You don't know the law then thedrewser!:rolleyes:. If it's your boundary and you put up a fence on your land then nobody can paint it, remove it, hang anything on it etc.

If you live next door and you don't like the look of their fence or you would like a higher one (like the OP here) you can erect your own fence/hurdle/hedge/trellis on your side of their fence providing it does not intefere with theirs.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Well some people do actually chat to their neighbours and don't feel the need for 6 feet barriers between each other. Your neighbours can still here you talking when your outside anyway however high the fence is.
    We only have a four foot fence between me and my neighbours for this very reason, we like to chat to each other and we've known each other for 20 years. I wouldn't be offended if they moved and the new people wanted to put up a higher fence. On the other side there's a six foot fence because that house is rented and is permanently changing tennants.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suggest that you're thinking of giving a home to a 12 stone Rottweiler who would scale their 4ft fence as look at it! Then maybe they'll put up a 6 footer!!!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    you have got to love the negativity of this thread :(
  • MissbegottenMissbegotten Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be careful about putting up a fence inside your own boundaries unless you check out the legalities first.

If next door move and the new people see a four foot fence and a six foot fence they may decide to take out the four foot fence and thus extend their garden into your garden. You could end up with a huge legal battle in that case to get your land back.

If the fence is such a big issue then you need to ask your neighbours do they mind if you put a trellis on the top so that you can have some greenery there rather than just a looking at a fence panel.
  • tojoxjtojoxj Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the fence is North facing you would be better leaving it alone as to add height will give a lot more shade.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC from when we looked into the matter, you can erect a fence up to 3ft 6 inches, but anything above that requires planning permission. Certainly a 6 ft fence would require planning permission.