ITV / ON Digital / Top-up TV encryption - HACKED!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Doesn't each suppliers box have a unique serial no: that could be used with some encryption code in the firmware so you register your box and a code supplied by TopUpTV unlocks it for say 3 month periods.?

The Netgem I-Player has a CA slot so I suspect it may be quite easy to make it work regardless of which encryption is used.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Mr Cable
    I suppose it's possible - though very unlikely - that TopUpTV could reach an agreement with CANAL+ and finally create new over-the-air software & encoding stuff for the 1 mil or so OnDig boxes...
    Nah...that would be too sensible. :D

Actually, I seem to remember that an MHEG 1.06 implementation and a return path was ready to roll-out when ITV-Digital went tits up. If TopUp TV could get their hands on this stuff (which might be in CANAL+'s possession) then they would have my gratitude, but not necessarily my money. ;)
  • digi_99digi_99 Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by ToshTelly
    Nah...that would be too sensible. :D

Actually, I seem to remember that an MHEG 1.06 implementation and a return path was ready to roll-out when ITV-Digital went tits up. If TopUp TV could get their hands on this stuff (which might be in CANAL+'s possession) then they would have my gratitude, but not necessarily my money. ;)

This is all assuming there aren't 300,000 honest people out there who don't go for piracy.

However, I'm convinced that Auto Update will be running again on my good old Philips before long!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    .... and that dodgee geessa in the pub walking round trying to sell people hacked cards..:D

.. every pub has one!!;)
  • Digital MonkeyDigital Monkey Posts: 1,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Mr_G
    .... and the dodgee geessa in the pub walking round trying to sell people hacked cards..:D
    He won't as top up tv will use SECA 2 so their won't be any pirate cards.
    Forum Member
    So they can upgrade the ON / ITV digital encryption?
  • Digital MonkeyDigital Monkey Posts: 1,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Mr_G
    So they can upgrade the ON / ITV digital encryption?
    Yes ITV Digital were about to do this but they went bust just before. If they had of moved to SECA 2 the cards would of been piracy free even now.

I presume Top up TV will simply use SECA 2 for their system.
    Forum Member
    Is it true the original system mediaguard (?) was hacked before they even started on digital? FOOLS!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh I can't believe I missed that on the tube this morning.

This is the article in the Metro (A free paper in London and the rest of the UK) this morining:

Firstly it had an image of Matt Seaman with a caption saying 'tipped to join a new pay TV company'

Freeview man quits to join pay channel

The head of the BBC-backed digital TV service quit yesterday amid reports that he is to join a new pay TV company.
    Matthew Seaman, who achieved strong results with Freeview after becoming general manager last year, is believed to be in talks to join Top Up TV, a new enterprisse led by former Sky executives Ian West and David Chance.
    The new service would let Freeview customers receive a roster of pay TV channels such as UK Gold and Discovery for up to £10 a month.
    The plan is to upgrade set-top boxes to let people with Freeview tune into the paid-for channels.

F_F
  • etldlrletldlrl Posts: 6,162
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by AndrewUk
    Fortunately, for us. Four of the Six muxs can't be currently used for PAY TV and that leaves THEM with TWO, and I just hope OFCOM forces THEM to use 16QAM instead of 64QAM therefore reducing THEIR capacity.

I don't think that they can clear enough space for 8 to 10 channels even at 64QAM. Unless, of course, ITV want to shut down ITV2 and the ITV News Channel. Hmmm. Thought not.

Besides, have SDN, ITV or Channel 4 made any public statement about being part of this scheme?
    I HOPE THEY FAIL MISERABLY!

I hope not. I don't want to see another lot of subscribers get the shaft like they did with ITV Digital. I want to see the people behind this mad idea come to their senses before they embark on this huge mistake. The people running it would lose their money. The subscribers would be disapointed when it ceased trading. Freeview would be damaged. Nobody gets anything out of another failed DTT pay TV fiasco.

As the old joke goes:

A man goes to his doctor and says "Doctor. It hurts when I do this."
    The doctor says "Well, don't do it then."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by etldlrl
    I don't think that they can clear enough space for 8 to 10 channels even at 64QAM. Unless, of course, ITV want to shut down ITV2 and the ITV News Channel. Hmmm. Thought not.
    there still is emaps channels - they get rid of 2 radio stations theres 1 proper channel
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by kenny2kk
    there still is emaps channels - they get rid of 2 radio stations theres 1 proper channel

But TUTV "isn't going to affect Freeview"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by Jono198
    But TUTV "isn't going to affect Freeview"

it not a case of affecting freeview when it come to Emap, they just wanna line there own pockets.

in fact it wouldnt surprise me if the where behind tutv
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by kenny2kk
    oh here we go again with the radio stations argument! tv channel = at least 4mbit, radio station = 160kbit, u do the maths, even with 30 radio stations, you'd only have the space for one tv channel, if they were removed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    pay view
    The one thing i want to know, will i be able to recieve it ????

I have bought a new box The Sony VTX D800U which is the Dogs for picture and sound quality. To replace the tiny Pace (which i give to my mother in law) and my original Pace ondigital box(with slot)(in the bedroom now).

As with many viewers how will i view the new pay view? As we have just paid £40 - £110 for a new box. Many of which dont have any slots. Does it mean i have to start reusing my old Ondigital box which is a bit weak on signal.

I hope that they can sort it out by using my serial number as my viewer code or like the old smart card code.

I would love newer better channels like Sky One and UKGold because I live 7 floors up, cant get Terestial Analogue properly, cant get Sky and Cant get Digital Cable. Luckily i have a hidden large aerial in my flat behind my sofa and pick up full freeview.
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just a reminder there is no SECA 2, It's really called Mediaguard V1+ and since KUDELKSI who owns nagra and now mediaguard and the facts that the mediaguard V7.x cards Which are used to make mediagueard v1+ still has bugs.

you will much more likly see a lovly new version of Nagravision Aladin cards that are fully compatable with seca mediaguard cams new and old.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by Ragnarok
    just a reminder there is no SECA 2, It's really called Mediaguard V1+ and since KUDELKSI who owns nagra and now mediaguard and the facts that the mediaguard V7.x cards Which are used to make mediagueard v1+ still has bugs.

you will much more likly see a lovly new version of Nagravision Aladin cards that are fully compatable with seca mediaguard cams new and old.

That can only happen of Pace, Nokia, Grundig, Phillips, Panasonic et al decide to release software updates for the operating system's software, its a bit like PC's using Windows or Linux, and AppleMac all being able read the same documents, show movies, but the software needed to do it, is totally different, it just produces the same results.

It is true that the CAM will handle just about any type of encoding system, unless of course the CAM was specifically manufactured for a single operator.
  • raider666raider666 Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the people that go in for this top up tv are fools , they are the same people that thought itv digital wud work and thought that they wud make a saving. its the same old story if u want pay get $ky or cable if u cant get them then gat freeview and stop whining about not being able to get pay tv thats life! top up tv will not work because the majority of freeviewers want free tv. the people never went i know il buy a freeview box in the hope of gettin pay in the future, no they bought them for freeview. over 3 million people have freeview an 2.5 -2.7 million want freeview 2 be free
  • pxd867pxd867 Posts: 11,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by raider666
    the people that go in for this top up tv are fools , they are the same people that thought itv digital wud work and thought that they wud make a saving. its the same old story if u want pay get $ky or cable if u cant get them then gat freeview and stop whining about not being able to get pay tv thats life! top up tv will not work because the majority of freeviewers want free tv. the people never went i know il buy a freeview box in the hope of gettin pay in the future, no they bought them for freeview. over 3 million people have freeview an 2.5 -2.7 million want freeview 2 be free

Why yes of course, all the people that want an element of pay tv are fools, and all the people like yourself who don't want pay-tv are all geniuses? :rolleyes:

There's a business opportunity and they are going to try and exploit it. Freeview will remain free- there were never any guarantees made anyway, about free tv forever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by raider666
    an 2.5 -2.7 million want freeview 2 be free

And where did you get this "fact" from? Did you conduct a survey?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    i fink they did sum kind of market research b4 they started this??

i dont fink they would ivest in it again it it was to fail. whos dumb enough to throw money away?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by BtB
    Doesn't each suppliers box have a unique serial no: that could be used with some encryption code in the firmware so you register your box and a code supplied by TopUpTV unlocks it for say 3 month periods.?

The Netgem I-Player has a CA slot so I suspect it may be quite easy to make it work regardless of which encryption is used.

That would be a good idea. I don't think it is what they are looking at though. I would any encryption code would only be valid for a month or 6 months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by paved
    i fink they did sum kind of market research b4 they started this??
    What??

Even if a survey had been done a while back, it still doesn't mean you can apply these as proof that all these people would be against top-up. That's just not true.
  • raider666raider666 Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it was a guess that 2.5 -2.7 million people wud like it free. i was not saying that every1 whos has freeview is a genius people can hav pay tv if they want, i was saying that it is stupid to hav pay tv on freeview because there is not enough space and some freeview channels wud be shut down
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    so ur ttyin to say market research is bulls? so why is there so many w***** on the st n phone askin u Q's?