Options

Help needed on getting into acting

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
Forum Member
I have always been interested in acting and with no experience I have no idea where to start or anything. Does anyone know where would be best to look and maybe get help? Thanks for any help at all.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    you could try doing some acting/drama courses/classes.
  • Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Find your local amateur dramatics club and start there. If you find that you really enjoy it and want to do it as a career, think about going to drama school in the future. There is no quick and easy way in unless you are one of the exceedingly lucky ones. You will have to put a lot of time and effort in, so starting at your local amateur group will help you decide if it is for you. I was a member of an amateur dramatics group for years and had immense fun, but decided that acting wan't for me and became a professional stage manager instead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started at a local am dram group. I'm now a member of my University drama groups.

I would love to act as well, but I know that it's a bloomin' hard profession to get into. That's why I'm currently reading Psychology, with the intention to train as a dramatherapist after graduation.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can one be "always interested in acting", and yet to know absolutely nothing about how to pursue this interest? Start by visiting theatres and seeing a variety of plays (to get an idea of what you think you could do). Read some actors' biographies. Join an amateur dramatics group, or do some work experience in a theatre. Then, if you're still not put off, get lessons or attend drama college, but keep up your skills in such things as waiting at tables - most actors need them!
  • Options
    Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try and find out if there's an Extra's Agency anywhere near you, who can place you in commercials, TV shows, movies. You won't get to act, but you will get to be "on set" and see how things go, make contacts, and if you're really really lucky speak to the actual actors who might be willing to offer advice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know of any extras agencys that are not just scams?
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Tw9o wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any extras agencys that are not just scams?

My old friends is extra on waterloo road and hollyoaks will try and ask him for you.

From what I know he got an agent did some shows and got the roles.

Also you really should considered doing a course a college.
  • Options
    BellaroooBellarooo Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get the contacts handbook, has all the numbers and information you would need x
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look on Mandy.com for acting jobs in your area - just don't expect to get paid much (if anything).
    I found stage acting much more satisfying than screen acting. With film there's always lots and lots of waiting around - sometimes you can be sitting a whole day just for a 5-minute scene as an extra.