First Time Tattoo

allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi everyone!!

Been thinking about getting a tattoo for a while but wanted to get something personal to me, i've come to the conclusion of having some song lyrics written on my forearm, i am a huge natalie imbruglia fan and am thinking of either;

'illusions never changed into something real' from Torn or 'Everyone has their scars' from Scars

what do you guys think??
im m 19 btw if that makes any difference and quite sensible so dont want to rush into this decision - thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone!!

Been thinking about getting a tattoo for a while but wanted to get something personal to me, i've come to the conclusion of having some song lyrics written on my forearm, i am a huge natalie imbruglia fan and am thinking of either;

'illusions never changed into something real' from Torn or 'Everyone has their scars' from Scars

what do you guys think??
    im m 19 btw if that makes any difference and quite sensible so dont want to rush into this decision - thanks

I think you'll look absolutely bloody ridiculous, when you're 39 and nobody knows who Natalie Imbruglia is, or has heard of the songs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rebel MC wrote: »
    I think you'll look absolutely bloody ridiculous, when you're 39 and nobody knows who Natalie Imbruglia is, or has heard of the songs.

Why would it matter what anyone else thought? he/she just said it was personal to them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Maybe get them somewhere less obvious than you forearm. I know tattoos are a lot more common these days, but you could still get overlooked/discriminated against when going for a job if you have a visible tattoo, especially if you are dealing face-to-face with customers.

I know it's a very draconian way to think but unfortunately it still happens!

If getting a tattoo means that much to you, just think about how you will feel about it in 20/30 years time and if you will regret it. Also think about who you want to see it.

It is a small thing that could make a big difference.

Best of luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eduble wrote: »
    Why would it matter what anyone else thought? he/she just said it was personal to them.

See post #4

Also, at 19 all sorts of things can seem personal, but at 29/39/49, pretty damn stupid, like being a fan of a 'here today, gone tomorrow' pop star.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I say go for it. I have two tattoos I want, but haven't had the guts to do it yet!
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the advice and yeah it seems that maybe song lyrics may be a little impersonal when im older, in reply to rebel MC though I wouldn't really care if people didnt know what they meant as long as it meant something to me so I think your post is completely ridiculous !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sbds1 wrote: »
    I say go for it. I have two tattoo's I want, but haven't had the guts to do it yet!

what tattoos do you want??? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what tattoos do you want??? :)

Like you, there are a few lyrics from various bands/songs that have meant a hell of a lot to me over the last however many years (I'm 22 by the way). The other is a small tambourine, to honour my father. He died a couple of years ago and his favourite song was Mr Tambourine Man, and I want that representation of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I waited 6 years until I got my first tattoo and I don't regret it.
    Tattoos are a personal choice and if you are truely sure you want it then go and get it, just don't get it for "fashion" sake and make sure you go somewhere that you've researched and seen the artist's work beforehand.

I love tattoos and if done well there truly amazing, just don't get a cheapo thing done.
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone!!

what do you guys think??

Just make sure you can cover it up if you need to go for any interviews etc. My mate had one on his hand and is now wondering why he keeps getting rejected for jobs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i'm in the process of planning a Jimmy Eat World tattoo

You must really think i'll look 'bloody ridiculous'

go for it OP
  • speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go ahead, the tattoo is for you now others, so don't listen to them.
    Tattoo ink and the procedures used are much more advanced now and won't look terrible later in life.
  • LilianaNFCLilianaNFC Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Id say just go for it, i had my first one on my lower back, i have 4 now, all very small though, i love them. and recently one on my wrist, that will probably be the last one.

Id say it doesnt matter what anybody else thinks its your body, i wouldnt care!

be warned once youve had one, you'll want more!
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought my wife a tattoo for her 40th birthday, she is now 52, the tattoo still looks great today....It is a Chinese dragon on her shoulder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long have you wanted that OP - I say once you've thought of what you want wait a few months and if you still want it then get it - I had one done on my foot in October and it's fab - it's a really colourful lollipop as that's my daughters nickname
  • widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing I would say is that a picture looks better as a tattoo than writing, so maybe you could combine the two together.
  • x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Coco Chanel quote down my forearm which means something to me, had that done when I was 19 and it'll forever stick with me I think, so I say go for it! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got my first tattoo in May. It's a swallowtail butterfly at the top of my left thigh. It took me 8 years to pluck up the courage to get it.

It depends what you want to do in future. Some jobs don't like people having visible tattoos, and if you have to wear a uniform where the top consists of a T shirt, you won't be able to hide it easily.

I'd say get it, but think of where you can have it that would be easy to hide if needs be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah ive been thinking about it for ages and was wanting to get it on my upper forearm (the bit nearest the hand lol) so it could be covered when i wanted to cover it

thanks for all the advice been very helpful :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Go for it,but think long and hard before you take the plunge. I had thought about my tattoo for a couple of years before I finally got mine done 2 years ago. I have Prince's symbol tattooed on my wrist. I have been a fan of his since I was 9 years old(i'm 37 now). Next on my list is a Michael Jackson tattoo on my foot:)
    Forum Member
    How long have you wanted that OP - I say once you've thought of what you want wait a few months and if you still want it then get it - I had one done on my foot in October and it's fab - it's a really colourful lollipop as that's my daughters nickname

Was the tattoo painful? I hear its the most painful place to get one done(but then people told me the wrist is pretty bad and it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be).
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    My advice would be to get one in an area you cant see everyday, so then it doesn't become boring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taboo wrote: »
    Was the tattoo painful? I hear its the most painful place to get one done(but then people told me the wrist is pretty bad and it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be).

It was quite painful but as I could watch it being done I was so excited about it - took nearly 2 hours and the really painful bit was when he went over bits he'd already done to shade it a diff colour - that was very painful. By the end I think I was kind of in shock but would get it done again so can't have been that bad :D
  • xdaorbitxdaorbit Posts: 368
    Forum Member

would it matter seeing as its just the words that mean something
    Forum Member
    It was quite painful but as I could watch it being done I was so excited about it - took nearly 2 hours and the really painful bit was when he went over bits he'd already done to shade it a diff colour - that was very painful. By the end I think I was kind of in shock but would get it done again so can't have been that bad :D
    Lol I'd compare it to childbirth..you think never again the a while later you're planning your next one:D