What are you buying your dad for Christmas?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    A big hug for Riccy, it's so hard and I know that only too well. It gets easier but it never goes away, my thoughts and my love are with you. x

Thank you Twinkle lovely. x I don't know about it getting any easier, it's only been two months, but if anything I miss him more as the days go on.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    Riccy wrote: »
    Thank you Twinkle lovely. x I don't know about it getting any easier, it's only been two months, but if anything I miss him more as the days go on.

.. and you'll continue to do so, the pain is almost too much to bear because it's so recent. It does get easier, believe me, but you never forget. A day never passes without you thinking about him and the love that you feel for him now seems to grow with time but the intense pain that you're feeling now wil mellow with time and only time can heal that open wound. Be prepared for that wound to be opened though and when it does it overwhelms you. Let the tears flow if that's how you release your grief as it does no harm at all - in fact it's good.

I feel for you because I've been there, there's a saying that love never dies and mostly used for lovers but parents also come under that heading so never feel ashamed about your emotions, let them out and never suppress them. I'll love my father until the day I die and I'm not ashamed to say so, I'm proud to say it because of the gentleman that he was and still is in my memory. xx
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lost my Dad when I was 23.

I didn't realise it at the time but I literally went a bit mad for a couple of years afterwards. Did some really strange things and said some odd and sometimes terrible stuff.

The people around me knew what it was so made excuses for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    .. and you'll continue to do so, the pain is almost too much to bear because it's so recent. It does get easier, believe me, but you never forget. A day never passes without you thinking about him and the love that you feel for him now seems to grow with time but the intense pain that you're feeling now wil mellow with time and only time can heal that open wound. Be prepared for that wound to be opened though and when it does it overwhelms you. Let the tears flow if that's how you release your grief as it does no harm at all - in fact it's good.

I feel for you because I've been there, there's a saying that love never dies and mostly used for lovers but parents also come under that heading so never feel ashamed about your emotions, let them out and never suppress them. I'll love my father until the day I die and I'm not ashamed to say so, I'm proud to say it because of the gentleman that he was and still is in my memory. xx

Awww..twinkle..now you've set me off at my desk. :cry: Bless you and your dad and what lovely thoughts and memories we both have. xx I'm off to sort myself out. I'm sure your dad and mine are watching over us. xxx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Luckily my dad is pretty easy to buy for. He loves aftershaves so have bought him 2 different burberry ones and an Ed Hardy one.
    Its my father in law we always struggle with,so have bought him a blu ray box set.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    Riccy wrote: »
    Awww..twinkle..now you've set me off at my desk. :cry: Bless you and your dad and what lovely thoughts and memories we both have. xx I'm off to sort myself out. I'm sure your dad and mine are watching over us. xxx

Bless you, too. xx
  • nickyislady_tnickyislady_t Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Dad is exactly the same!! everytime we ask what he's like for christmas or new year he tells us he doesnt want anything and not to waste our money on him. he'd rather we spend the money on ourselves.
    My dad is a recovering alcoholic so alcohol is out of the question! He loves music but he gets all the cd's he likes sent over from him family in india, He doesnt really have any hobbies but he does quite like DIY but he has enough tools to open his own DIY shop!
    my sister and i dont like to give him nothing so the last couple of years we've put together a hamper with little things like peanuts, cookies, a mug, a lottery ticket etc in. he loves it but this year we're going with hair clippers because he hinted to my boyf he wanted that :)
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing, the adults in my family don't exchange gifts. It's his birthday two days after Christmas day though and I've send him a mug with the Scottish flag on it, some tea and some shortbread biscuits. He loves his Scottish heritage.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,576
    Forum Member
    My dad is easy to buy for as he has a hobby of model aircraft building and flying, so I bought him a new kit and some modelling knives :)
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Macintyre dvd. Cant spell it lol And a big box of Dairy milk. Half price at Sainsburys for 5 quid!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread really shows what Christmas should be about and it is quite humbling.

It is not about the gifts or what you buy, it is about spending quality time with your loved ones and making the most of them. No present in the world can ever better that.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same as for the last 20+ years.

And he's been dead for ten of those.

To those who say (like the above) it's about spending time with those you care about - well why not do that other than at 'christmas'.......

If they're that important you make the time.
  • NorthernAngelNorthernAngel Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got my dad a snooker cue, a cd and this years sunday for sammy dvd.....he'll be happy with those gifts :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Same as for the last 20+ years.

And he's been dead for ten of those.

To those who say (like the above) it's about spending time with those you care about - well why not do that other than at 'christmas'.......

If they're that important you make the time.

because to me it is a day to enjoy with them.. of course you should spend as much time as you can but at Christmas people seem to become more predisposed with buying presents than just kicking their shoes off getting together with loved ones over some good food.

families tend to come together at this time of year and taht is what is special, not the gifts.
  • tongs ya basstongs ya bass Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dads expect nothing and are happy with anything

That is why Dads are great
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago i got him some brut, i'm sure it's still in his bedroom not being used.

No man in their right mind would use brut.. :p
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A nice expensive bottle of malt whisky. He likes the odd tot now and again, for medicinal purposes only, of course.:)
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably nothing. He died in 1976. :cool:

same here mine died in 1994 and my mum died in 1980,
    but having said that even if he was alive he would still get nowt,
    :cool::D
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Not sure yet, I know he loves sweets (especially fruit jellies) so maybe a box of those and some DVDs/books he might be interested in. He reads a lot of history books so that might be an idea.
  • MacattacKMacattacK Posts: 7,652
    Forum Member
    My dad is happy with his year-to-year cycling magazine subscription that I pay for as a chrimble present (I had to argue with him to let me continue to pay for it) but this year I spotted a Bianchi t-shirt which he will just flip over and has no idea it's coming. He's 62 and a regular cyclist, he has so many bikes but his Bianchi is his pride and joy.

Just don't know what to get for my mam this year for a change!
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a remote control helicopter from Home Bargains. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad died 5 years ago in December but when he was with us I used to get him a bottle of his favourite whiskey for Christmas. I think he appreciated that! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its always been difficult to work out what to buy for my Dad and this year it seems even harder as we've just lost my Mum and its the first holiday without her, however, Mum loved Christmas and she would be appalled if we didn't bother this year. So he's accepted an invite to my little brothers family, my older brother is staying too and my lot are all travelling up on Boxing Day like we always did. My Mum always loved opening lots of little gifts, didnt' really matter what was in them she just loved presents so in the spirit of that i've got my Dad a bottle of his favourite whisky then i've filled a stocking with little gifts (some just fun and some functional)
  • GonerilGoneril Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The present I'd like to give my Dad is his mind back to how it was. He is in the middle stages of Alzheimer's.
    So I've bought him a thick cardigan to keep him warm, sweets, and Jazz cd's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't you buy him some new tools then if that's what he wants? Have a look in his bag/box/workshop to see what's getting a bit worn out and treat him to that.

If you're feeling flush get him a boxed set of some quality tools from a top end manufacturer.