Prince *Appreciation Thread*

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    i'm not a random person. you haven't choosen a person at random and asked an opinion, have you?

prince doesn't make public comments on most things, particularly public denials of things that aren't going to happen. he does have an outlet for these denials, but it's not appropriate to mention that on this site

there's no official word on him appearing at glastonbury, doing an audience with prince tv special on ITV, and appearing at the x factor final, simply because none of these are true. as with most stars, they choose not to entertain made up stories by commenting on them publically. if he was going to apear on those shows it would be announced officially. as he isn't going to appear, he has confirmed via his people that it's not happening, but as such it's not been posted on any official site, and won't be posted on any official site, just like the rumours that appear every single year that he will play glastonbury, that get the similar silent treatment from him

there is a reason why he won't play glastonbury, yet he has played other festivals recently and played coachella a couple of years ago, and it's simply that glastonbury has so many acts it doesn't pay headliners a lot of money, the acts that play that slot do so for prestige and to promote sales. prince has no interest in that, his main source of income is from personal appearance fees, and he simply won't accept a lower fee so he won't be offered a lower fee a second time. he will do his secret shows and aftershows with lower overall incomes, but those events are arranged by him and his people, he does it because he wants to, and he keeps all the profits. glastonbury can't and won't offer headline acts more money as they can't afford it, plus if they increase fees to headliners,they would be forced to increase fees across the board, such as to the acts playing before headliners

anyway, in about 6 to 8 weeks you'll see he won't appear on the tv shows that have been rumoured, and in about 7 months you'll see he won't play glastonbury. by all means by a ticket for glastonbury if you don't believe me, but you have been warned

Hey Unique, good to see you here as well as AV ! :)
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'd rather he played somewhere other than glastonbury, doing a proper prince gig than part of a festival. even the "festival" gigs he did this year weren't your usual festival gigs in that he wasn't headliner on a day of a number of acts, in fact i think only one date was part of a festival, but that day was a prince gig with prince related acts as warm up, thus you weren't at a gig that was half full of people who weren't specifically interested in seeing prince. coachela was a proper festival show and he headlined that (and arrived on stage late). coachella is the american equivilent of glastonbury, but still quite different. he's done a few other festival gigs in the past, but i'm sure most of them didn't have him playing to folk not specifically there to see prince, he had a night to himself

i was front row at all the o2 aftershows btw, i was also at all the main shows. an incredible 2 months. i even saw prince turn up at another small club to see some of his band jam on an off night from the o2. if you listen hard you can hear me on the 21 nights cd in the audience. they didn't put any of the bits of me singing into the mic on it though

i'm pretty sure he could do more shows than just Glastonbury!

Iain :p
  • Filthy ImbecileFilthy Imbecile Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Listen, I love Prince as much as the next guy, however lets be harshly honest here:

The guy hasnt put out good music in a very long time, and really isnt the force he was. His new music goes pretty much unnoticed (that is mostly his choice though)

However the one thing that does confuse me, why would so many of you kiss a guys butt who treats his fans like utter, utter, shit? He takes all his music and videos off the internet, threatens anybody who uses his images or likeness on fan websites, and generally seems to think he is above his fans.

Made some great music, but doesnt deserve this adulation for being a prick.

Also, why does MJ need to be brought into it all the time? (first page) They are two completely different artists, both incredibly talented. No need to be so insecure about 'whos better'.

Now I realise reading that may make me not sound like a Prince fan, I am believe me, I've always been a fan, but he really should not be able to get away with acting like a complete dick to his loyal fans, who have put up with poor musical output for many, many years now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    The random person is you.

No disrespect intended, but as far as I know you are just sone random person posting on a forum.

If Prince has denied it, I'm just wondering if that denial is in the public domain?

Iain

No offence to you Iain, but I know Unique very well from another forum.

His information is very accurate on Prince
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listen, I love Prince as much as the next guy, however lets be harshly honest here:

The guy hasnt put out good music in a very long time, and really isnt the force he was. His new music goes pretty much unnoticed (that is mostly his choice though)

However the one thing that does confuse me, why would so many of you kiss a guys butt who treats his fans like utter, utter, shit? He takes all his music and videos off the internet, threatens anybody who uses his images or likeness on fan websites, and generally seems to think he is above his fans.

Made some great music, but doesnt deserve this adulation for being a prick.

Also, why does MJ need to be brought into it all the time? (first page) They are two completely different artists, both incredibly talented. No need to be so insecure about 'whos better'.

Now I realise reading that may make me not sound like a Prince fan, I am believe me, I've always been a fan, but he really should not be able to get away with acting like a complete dick to his loyal fans, who have put up with poor musical output for many, many years now.

why? yeah, why?

it's because many fans have been fans for 25+ years, fans since they were kids and teenagers, fans at the stage of their lives when they are moving from the period in life where they listen to crap pop and novelty records to a more mature choice of music. for most people who become a fan of a band, they loose interest over time as the band ultimate splits or the artists hits dry up and they stop releasing records, and people move onto other bands and artists. but for some, they find the artist keeps on going, keeps on changing, and keeps on making music they are interested in, even though they get older and change through life

and whilst prince's prime time of hits ended in the 80s, he still made some fantastic music up to the mid 90s, the gold experience being a particular favourite amongst many fans, and whilst later records weren't a patch on those before, there were always some great tracks. in the 2000s he put out some interesting stuff such as the rainbow children and NEWS, and had his online music club, and from time to time we get fantastic old tracks from the vaults getting unleashed

so to some it's almost like we know he hasn't completely lost it, we know he can do better, as there are always at least one or two really great tracks each year, sometimes more

but the other thing that keeps the fans drawn in is his constant live performances, not only standard arena and stadium/outdoor shows, but small intimate shows and aftershows, so whilst his new albums aren't as good as before, his live shows are just as good. in fact at the moment his current live shows are some of the best in a long time, like he's got his mojo back

and for the hardcore fans, there is an endless stream of unnoficial recordings constantly coming out, almost every live show is circulated in great quality, then cleaned up recordings of old shows, outtakes circulating in better quality than before (and he has literally thousands of unreleased completed songs in the vaults), rehearsals, soundchecks, you name it, there's never a dull moment for fans. a new album every year, plus other songs that aren't on the album, and new shows every year, and that's been going on for over 30 years now

and for every time he acts like a prick, there are times where he opens his studios to fans, has aftershow parties, let's fans onstage, let's fans attend soundchecks, and stuff like that. we just take the rough with the smooth. his latest cd ain't great, but his new cd sounds like it's going to be pretty good, and his upcoming american shows sound interesting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just to save you watching an awful tv show tonight, prince won't be on it

there is a secret gig tonight, but not in the uk

and i'm sure some of you have the telly guides until the new year, and you've maybe noticed that he isn't listed as doing an audience with prince on ITV either

and the third and final rumour of glastonbury, still not happening, but give me another 6 or 7 months and i'll prove that to you too when it doesn't happen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to counter that he hasn't put out good music in a long time, I really liked both Musicology and Black Sweat.
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    ben_122 wrote: »
    Just to counter that he hasn't put out good music in a long time, I really liked both Musicology and Black Sweat.

I liked Musicology too.

Hence 2004 in my OP!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genius and Icon.

His 80s music was amazing. Being young at the time and being carried along with it was something else.

My favourites of his are Rasberry Beret, Purple Rain,When Doves Cry, I Would Die 4 U, Take me With You, Girls and Boys, Mountains, Diamonds and Pearls.

Brilliant, brilliant musician.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Musicology too.

Hence 2004 in my OP!:)

I was on about Filthy Imbecile :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just as i said several weeks ago, no prince on the x factor, thank god
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing at him at Wembley Arena many years ago is still the best concert I've ever seen.

In addition to his singing, his guitar is an extension of himself and he's an amazing pianist.

Such a brilliantly talented guy.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I had 6 tickets for his concert in Dublin in 08.

He never came :cry::(:cry:

Come on Prince, I'm waiting...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in the end the secret gig didn't happen after all. the US tour starts for real at the end of the week, if there isn't another last minute secret warm up show
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just as i said several weeks ago, no prince on the x factor, thank god

Yes me too
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Seeing at him at Wembley Arena many years ago is still the best concert I've ever seen.

In addition to his singing, his guitar is an extension of himself and he's an amazing pianist.

Such a brilliantly talented guy.

Likewise, saw him at Wembley, the guy was absolutely sensational. An incredibly talented and versatile musician.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://mornings.ktu.com/common/podcast/download.php?name=PrinceInterviewwithCubbyCindy&url=http://media.ccomrcdn.com/media/station_content/7345/Sequence_01_3_1292254679_28223.mp3

still no words from the people who didn't believe me when i put down all the rumours. is this the timex social club?
  • Monkey_NewsMonkey_News Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Love Prince, great performer. Saw him at the O2 and he was amazing, a true legend.

Just a shame he is a complete prick really, doesnt treat his fans well, and also hasnt put out any good music in a very, very long time.

The 80's was MJ and Prince, always will be.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had 6 tickets for his concert in Dublin in 08.

He never came :cry::(:cry:

Come on Prince, I'm waiting...

He backed on on me waaay back in 1991, when he was supposed to play Blenheim Palace. Instead, he cried off to do re-shoots on 'Graffiti Bridge', which makes me wonder how bad it was before they re-shot it, because it was bloody awful afterwards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    He backed on on me waaay back in 1991, when he was supposed to play Blenheim Palace. Instead, he cried off to do re-shoots on 'Graffiti Bridge', which makes me wonder how bad it was before they re-shot it, because it was bloody awful afterwards.

actually blenheim palace was cancelled because the promotors hadn't booked everything properly. i can't remember if they either didn't get the proper licence in time/at all from the council (which i think it was) or if they didn't pay the final deposit or something for the grounds

i was more upset by that than most, as i was going to be part of prince's personal security team. a bunch of us were going to do backstage security at glastonbury festival, and then a small number of which i was one, were going straight from glasto to pick prince up at the airport, take him to the concert, do the backstage security at the gig, and then take him right back to the airport afterwards. my boss at the time used to go to school with the guy who owned the security company, so pulled a few strings to get me the job. i would have done it for free, but i was going to get paid a fair bit of money for doing it

as for dublin being cancelled, it's probably not the best place to say what happened there
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Been listening to "Another lonely christmas" today,love this song:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night I spent another lonely Christmas
    Darling, darling, u should've been there
    Cuz all the 1s I dream about
    U are the 1 that makes my love shout
    U see, u are the only 1 I care 4

Remember the time we swam naked
    In your father's pool?
    Boy he was upset that night
    But boy was that ever cool

Remember the night we played pokeno 4 money
    And u robbed me blind
    Remember how u used 2 scream so loud
    Cuz u hated that number 9

Hey, I saw your sister skating on the lake
    This afternoon
    Good Heaven how she's grown
    She swoons the boy skaters she's so tall

But of all your father's children
    All your father's children, baby
    U know, u are the finest of them all
    U are brighter than the northern star

Last night I spent another lonely Christmas
    Darling, darling, u, u should've been there
    U see, of all the 1s I dream about
    Yeah

My momma used 2 say
    Always trust your lover
    Now I guess that only applies 2 her

Cuz baby u promised me
    Baby u promised me u'd never leave
    Then u died on the 25th day of December
    Oh baby

Last night I spent another lonely, lonely Christmas
    Darling, baby, u, u should've been there
    Cuz all the 1s I dream about
    Yeah

Your father said it was pnemonia
    Your mother said it was strep
    But the doctor said u were dead
    And I, I say its senseless

Every Christmas night 4 7 years now
    I drink banana daquaris 'til I'm blind
    As long as I can hear u smilin' baby
    U won't hear my tears
    Another lonely Christmas is mine
    Yeah, mine
    Yeah
    Another lonely Christmas is mine

Last night, yeah, I spent another lonely, lonely Christmas
    Darling, darling, u should've been there, yeah
    Cuz all the 1's I dream about

Another Lonely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3MCrlkdfnk
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Taboo wrote: »
    Been listening to "Another lonely christmas" today,love this song:cool:

It's on the Christmas CD I made for myself, I love it!:)

Granted, so is Shakin' Stevens, so...:o
  • CoreenBaconskinCoreenBaconskin Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Prince! Been listening to 7 and Sexy MF today