Can you take vitamin e capsules for scars?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
Forum Member
I've got a few scars from acne on my face, I've been told to take vitamin e orally? Anyone used this before?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my husband used to take pure vit e oil in a drink daily to combat scarring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    my husband used to take pure vit e oil in a drink daily to combat scarring.

Did it work??
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely it's impossible to rid scars by tablets alone (depending on how deep they are in your skin) ?

The only sure method would be surgery.
  • fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    if u burst the capsule carerfully and smear it over the scars it should help wont get rid completly tho
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    I'm sure I read that bio oil was good for reducing scarring.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, Vitamin E is supposed to be good for the skin hence why you'll sometimes see some face and body creams saying they contain Vitamin E, i.e. Cocoa Butter.

You can take Vitamin E capsules orally and, like someone said above, I have heard it is also beneficial if you burst the capsule and smear it on the scarred area. Bio Oil is also good for scars but I'm unsure if it has Vit E in it or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheDJ <3 wrote: »
    Did it work??

He claims so yes, he also used to rub pure Vit E oil into the scar so it was getting direct treatment.
  • GrizzyDeeGrizzyDee Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio Oil and expensive creams are no good for scarring. It's the daily massage action that helps, not the posh oil. Any cheap plain cream will work just as well (although vitamin E is good for skin like others have said, cheap vit E is just as good as expensive stuff). The best thing is to massage daily, which will help break down hard scar tissue and will hopefully help red or raised scars to fade and flatten. It takes around 18 months of daily massage to get any benefit. There is however no perfect way to get rid of a scar, even surgery can leave you with an unpredictable scar which may not be better than your original one.
  • D*****D***** Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think laser surgery would be your best bet OP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    I'm going to have a nice little scar on my head from glass, and several people have recommended bio oil. Unfortunately, as the cut is still healing I haven't tested it out yet, so can't tell you if it's actually any use, but it might be worth a try :p Although If I remember correctly, it wasn't particularly cheap so I'd try and get a review on it first!
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio-oil is one of these supposed natural cures for all manner of skin complaints.... Union Swiss, the manufacturers, talk a lot of pseudoscience and claim scientific evidence proves its effectiveness but, as this link shows, their evidence is very shaky and there is no proof that the product in any way helps improve skin quality.

http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications/2009/9/Union_Swiss-Ltd/TF_ADJ_46914.aspx

Similarly, Vitamin E has been found to have a negligible effect on scars in properly conducted, independent, scientific studies.

To conclude, don't waste your cash.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The vitamin e capsules that you can take orally won't be effective when putting on the skin, the liquid is too thick and sticky and won't be absorbed by the skin. I've tried it, it doesn't work. You need to find the vitamin e carrier oil, which is designed to use on the skin.

Try strawberries, both eaten and blitzed up for use as a face mask. Green tea is also good for the skin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    There's been studies done on the effectiveness of topical use of Vit E on scares, the results appear to indicate there are no benefits and that there's a 30% (3 in 10) chance of developing contact dermatitis...according to the internet.