Thousands of flights cancelled across US Eastcoast

Delicious11Delicious11 Posts: 1,406
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So when this happens in London, why is it made out like we are the only city in the world who can't cope with snow?

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2010/12/sunday-airline-delays/136192/1

Comments

• irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but east coast US can get some really bad snow storms.... we didnt have bad storms, at least not here anyway, just a long contineous fall of snow. They can get something called Thundersnow in north east US where a really heavy snow storm/blizzard is accompanyied by thunder and lightening. Its quite a sight!

Another thing to remember is that though planes have problems flying in those conditions, the US infrastructure is used to dealing with lots of snow in the winter. They have fleets of snow plows and equipment to keep the roads clear
  • Delicious11Delicious11 Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Yeah but east coast US can get some really bad snow storms.... we didnt have bad storms, at least not here anyway, just a long contineous fall of snow. They can get something called Thundersnow in north east US where a really heavy snow storm/blizzard is accompanyied by thunder and lightening. Its quite a sight!

Another thing to remember is that though planes have problems flying in those conditions, the US infrastructure is used to dealing with lots of snow in the winter. They have fleets of snow plows and equipment to keep the roads clear

They may be used to dealing with it and inspite of all of their equipment people still get snowed in.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    As far as I'm aware the Eastern seaboard of the US is getting a colossal amount of snow, 20 inches in some places. London didn't.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I'm aware the Eastern seaboard of the US is getting a colossal amount of snow, 20 inches in some places. London didn't.

Relatively speaking (compared to typical snowfall) however, the amounts were similar.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    spkx wrote: »
    Relatively speaking (compared to typical snowfall) however, the amounts were similar.

Yes perhaps. But the other week my brother-in-law's train was cancelled after there was 1cm of snow on the track!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I have a friend in North Carolina who posted pictures of their snowfall on facebook earlier. Ours looks like a thin sprinkling of dust compared to theirs! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So when this happens in London, why is it made out like we are the only city in the world who can't cope with snow?

There's been a thread recently that mentioned the German unemployed are recruited and given benefit bonuses to help clear the snow. I believe that businesses (possibly residents too?) are required by law to clear snow from the pavement outside their own premises.

My brother is working in Vienna, in Austria, at the moment and he said that as soon as snow has settled, there are men working at night to clear the snow and grit the roads properly all through the city. He actually complained that they make such a racket, you can't sleep.

The British hacks are some of the most spiteful and vitriolic in the world, but it is true that we aren't the greatest nation at coping in the snow.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    I have a friend in North Carolina who posted pictures of their snowfall on facebook earlier. Ours looks like a thin sprinkling of dust compared to theirs! :eek:

yeah theirs is bad even for them. and theres been thundersnow reported. but new englanders and people in the states that border Canada are somewhat better prepared than we are. People will have 4x4s and some people even buy snow plows and sell their services to the neighborhood if the snow fall is heavy.... you certainly dont see that here!
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have you the slightest idea how much snow has fallen and is still falling? It's not like one or two inches. :rolleyes:
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

London did actually. It happened on the 18th December.
  • electronelectron Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London did actually. It happened on the 18th December.

Bet you glad that you did'nt live in Scotland or the North East, it was very short lived in you.re London compared.
  • PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if London got a blizzard with 2 foot of snow in less than 48 hours, no one should be balking at their reaction, however if it was 2 foot spread out over 3-5 days, that's manageable if you have the foresight to brine or salt, and have some plows on stand-by.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    electron wrote: »
    Bet you glad that you did'nt live in Scotland or the North East, it was very short lived in you.re London compared.

Yes, it did start to thaw after 3 days and melted all together within a week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's hardly being mentioned on the US news channels (outside of the weather reports) Not on Fox and CNN anyway.

Where's the 'Breaking News' banner that we had? ;)
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    yeah theirs is bad even for them. and theres been thundersnow reported. but new englanders and people in the states that border Canada are somewhat better prepared than we are. People will have 4x4s and some people even buy snow plows and sell their services to the neighborhood if the snow fall is heavy.... you certainly dont see that here!

Haha! Not all of us! Tho, along with Bollywood, I'm not so sure how I feel about being called a "flatlander". :mad::p
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Yes perhaps. But the other week my brother-in-law's train was cancelled after there was 1cm of snow on the track!

We do have a very unique problem in the south east of England in that because it was the first rail networks to be electrified in the 1920s, it uses 3rd rail instead of overhead lines. It only takes a small amount of snow for the pickup shoes to compact it onto the rails and lose any conduction.

That said, this shouldn't be a problem as of next year because network rail are installing heaters on the third rails (initially in trouble-spots) which will melt off the snow.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Haha! Not all of us! Tho, along with Bollywood, I'm not so sure how I feel about being called a "flatlander". :mad::p

Ha, how about that. I am lying in bed listening to the wind howl, 40 mph gusts, no point in trying to go to work as the road won't be plowed yet, and hoping the electric wires don't go down. It's odd because this is suburbia, but it might as well be a farm.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Ha, how about that. I am lying in bed listening to the wind howl, 40 mph gusts, no point in trying to go to work as the road won't be plowed yet, and hoping the electric wires don't go down. It's odd because this is suburbia, but it might as well be a farm.

My mother works for a school district in suburban western WA. When they had an "arctic blast" a few weeks back, all hell broke loose and she fully expected the schools to be closed-- however, the new superintendent from Michigan needed some convincing that we wouldn't be able to cope. I suppose we're the exception to the rule when it comes to border states.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Check out New York's Times Square-
    http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Taboo wrote: »
    Check out New York's Times Square-
    http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/

I was walking along there this time last week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member

To be fair I don't think it's even possible to land or take off in the middle of a blizzard dumping 2 feet of snow. London had a few inches which stopped flights for days after. Will be interesting to see how quickly flights resume!
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The snow in Eastern USA is far worse than anything we have experienced in this country.

To be quite frank, the problems at Heathrow were a national embarrassment for the & were primarily down to a lack of investment in the relevant equipment to keep the airport functional.

Gatwick spent the money & surprise surprise, disruption there was minimal, although, TBF, Gatwick is not in London, despite what the badge on the door says.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funnily enough, the OP hasn't been back. :rolleyes: