i really want to take the tree etc down but worried about bad luck

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
Forum Member
✭✭
i really want to take my xmas tree ,, cards , light up santa etc down tonight so it feels fresh for tomorrow for the new year but since i was little all my family used to say its bad luck if they are taken down before 12th night .
what do you think ?

Comments

• KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They got it wrong - it's bad luck to leave it up after 12th night, not to take it down before.
  • mmcdmmcd Posts: 8,558
    Forum Member
    I took mine down yesterday.
  • DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KBBJ wrote: »
    They got it wrong - it's bad luck to leave it up after 12th night, not to take it down before.

I agree with this, they need to be down by 12th night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is coming down today. I've never really thought about it to be honest. Certainly I've never suffered particulary bad luck, life has just had its usual ups and downs.
  • MarieHMarieH Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep only bad luck if you leave it up after the 12th night
  • The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    It's a tree, bad luck is rubbish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ohh so is it if you take them down after the 12th night its bad luck ?
    everything really feels dusty to me when ive got decorations up i just want them down give everything a good clean and feel fresh for the new year but im terrible i will be worrying im causeing bad luck or something lmao
  • BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    Even posting about taking it down at the wrong time means certain doom. There's nothing you can do about it now.
  • MarieHMarieH Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bagpipes wrote: »
    Even posting about taking it down at the wrong time means certain doom. There's nothing you can do about it now.
    You're a very bad person :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kelly30 wrote: »
    ohh so is it if you take them down after the 12th night its bad luck ?
    everything really feels dusty to me when ive got decorations up i just want them down give everything a good clean and feel fresh for the new year but im terrible i will be worrying im causeing bad luck or something lmao

Yes, that's the rumour. I don't have up this year but always took them down before going back to work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bagpipes wrote: »

:eek: ur evil lmao
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I don't believe in the "bad luck" superstition. I'll probably take them down before I go back to university or even in the evenings during my first week back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, get rid of it.

mines coming down on the 3rd, after all the outlaws leave.

and as others said, the supposedly bad luck bit is leaving it up after 12th night, not taking it down before.
  • HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,248
    Forum Member
    I've never been superstitious in my life.

It's unlucky!
    Forum Member
    It's rubbish. I took mine down yesterday.

I put up the ladder walking underneath it to get the lights down, bliddy fell off and broke my arm as it hit the mirror which crasked to the floor in pieces, as I lay on the floor in a daze a flaming magpie was on the windowsill looking in sqwaking at me.

I hadn't put the shopping away and fell on the salt spilling it everywhere, I couldn't throw it over my shoulder because my arm was broken.

I was so scared I needed to pee so dashed up my stairs passing my friend on the way who slipped wearing the new shoes she'd just taken off my table and got hurt too, still at least it's not Friday the 13th.

Good job I'm not superstitious.:D
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a load of rubbish. You take it down now if you want to & dont worry. I usually take ours down the day after boxing day. I have had a lot of good luck over the years & no bad luck that I can honestly think of.
    Luck has nothing to do with a christmas tree.

edit: and the after the 12th day thing is poppycok too, I used to leave them up in my room all year when I was a teen :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kelly30 wrote: »
    i really want to take my xmas tree ,, cards , light up santa etc down tonight so it feels fresh for tomorrow for the new year but since i was little all my family used to say its bad luck if they are taken down before 12th night .
    what do you think ?

You'll probably fall and break your neck... best leave it up for now :D
  • HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,248
    Forum Member
    The Vixen wrote: »
    It's rubbish. I took mine down yesterday.

I put up the ladder walking underneath it to get the lights down, bliddy fell off and broke my arm as it hit the mirror which crasked to the floor in pieces, as I lay on the floor in a daze a flaming magpie was on the windowsill looking in sqwaking at me.

I hadn't put the shopping away and fell on the salt spilling it everywhere, I couldn't throw it over my shoulder because my arm was broken.

I was so scared I needed to pee so dashed up my stairs passing my friend on the way who slipped wearing the new shoes she'd just taken off my table and got hurt too, still at least it's not Friday the 13th.

Good job I'm not superstitious.:D

:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    When is 12th night??:o
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Taboo wrote: »
    When is 12th night??:o

When Viola stops deceiving people and stops being Cesario.
  • bonpennybonpenny Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    The trick is not to put one up in the first place. :)
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if you really believe in luck, then it could turn into one of those self-fulfilling prophecies. I'd leave it up, OP. Don't risk it. :p
    Forum Member
    :D:D:D

Hehe I tried, you can't say I didn't. :D:D
  • Manly BarrilowManly Barrilow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "i really want to take the tree etc down but worried about bad luck"

Then pull yourself, get a grip and join the real world! :rolleyes:

Someone had to say it. How do some people function in life with this rubbish clogging up their heads?
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My decorations are coming down tomorrow. I'm already sick to the back teeth of them.