Comedians who should be kicked off our screens ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    In some ways this is a pointless argument because there may be someone I hate as a comedian - but the person over there may love.

It just comes down to personal taste.

However - I do think that there are some comedians who really arent that funny and wouldnt get any kind of sizeable audience if it wasnt for the boost they get from being favoured by the BBC.

There is definitely a 'BBC' comedian type. They will be liberal/left (and proud of it), achingly PC - they will have the usual hate figures of the left as regular targets (Daily Mail/Margaret Thatcher etc) and will spout the kind of stuff that BBC producers love to hear. (pro climate change, anti israel etc)

i don't think Radio 4 could function without their repertory company of comedians.There is seldom a day goes by without one of these BBC types turning up either on Radio 4/Radio 5/BBC 2/BBC 3 or in some cases BBC 1

Two obvious examples are Jeremy Hardy and Marcus Brigstocke.

They are on every panel show you can think of (especially Brigstocke) And both have been given their own shows.

Whilst these BBC type comedians do have an audience - they are given a much bigger profile and hence audience than I think they would ever get if they weren't nurtured by the BBC.

So whilst there are comedians who can command big audiences on their own (McIntyre. Kay Boyle etc) and have broad appeal on their own. There are definitely a sub set of comedians who only really exist because they are favoured by the BBC who give them both regular work and a profile far above what they could achieve on their own.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julie1222 wrote: »
    In some ways this is a pointless argument because there may be someone I hate as a comedian - but the person over there may love.

However - I do think that there are some comedians who really arent that funny and wouldnt get any kind of sizeable audience if it wasnt for the boost they get from being favoured by the BBC.

There is definitely a 'BBC' comedian type. They will be liberal/left (and proud of it), achingly PC - they will have the usual hate figures of the left as regular targets (Daily Mail/Margaret Thatcher etc) and will spout the kind of stuff that BBC producers love to hear. (pro climate change, anti israel etc)

i don't think Radio 4 could function without their repertory company of comedians.There is seldom a day goes by without one of these BBC types turning up either on Radio 4/Radio 5/BBC 2/BBC 3 or in some cases BBC 1

They are on every panel show you can think of (especially Brigstocke) And both have been given their own shows.

Whilst these BBC type comedians do have an audience - they are given a much bigger profile and hence audience than I think they would ever get if they weren't nurtured by the BBC.

So whilst there are comedians who can command big audiences on their own (McIntyre. Kay Boyle etc) and have broad appeal on their own. There are definitely a sub set of comedians who only really exist because they are favoured by the BBC who give them both regular work and a profile far above what they could achieve on their own.

The above is a heap of drivel (with particular regard to the comments on messrs Hardy and Brigstock).
  • elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    michael mcandire.
  • LeeBoy19LeeBoy19 Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the only thing that this thread is showing is that rather like music comedy is a very individual thing. Some you like some you don't. I would suggest this has always been the case and if I do not like someone I do not watch them. I never could stand Eric & Ernie to me overpaid tripe to others comedy gold. I could list a long list of past and present comedians that I din't appreciate or like but what's the point really. I could of course also list a long list of those I do like but to what ends. The TV companies will get the message if enough people switch off when a particular comedian doesn't cut it viewing figure wise they will not get the message if you just whine on here but then still watch.
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keith Lemon
    Al Murray are the ones that make me change channel.

Not keen on John Bishop either.
  • peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    Lenny Henry
    Keith Lemon
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, typical Radio Bore comedian, middle class, Guardian reader, has a set of metropolitan in jokes no one else finds amusing, presents shows that are practically ignored by everyone else except Radio Bore listeners who find the humour superior to that by John Bishop.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Blokee wrote: »
    At least three of the people you have named are absolutely terrific. If you don't like them then don't watch them. As the meerkat says 'simples'

Thanks for reminding me - those twatty meerkats are SO not funny!!
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

Hmm intersting way of explaining how comedians who aren't to your personal taste have a career. Or perhaps a lot of other people do find them funny. Certainly both the comedians you have mentioned are extremely quick witted whether you enjoy them or not.

By all means tell us who you think is a a waste of space, but spare us the Daily Mail conspiracy theories please.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Yeah, typical Radio Bore comedian, middle class, Guardian reader, has a set of metropolitan in jokes no one else finds amusing, presents shows that are practically ignored by everyone else except Radio Bore listeners who find the humour superior to that by John Bishop.
    My dad listens to Radio 4. And he is about as far away politicaly from a Guardian reader as you can get . Also the person who mentioned Marcus Brigstocke would definetley not say he is left wing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is amazing how varied peoples tastes are for example I love Frankie Boyle and Tim Vine and you couldnt get 2 more different comedians.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    My dad listens to Radio 4. And he is about as far away politicaly from a Guardian reader as you can get . Also the person who mentioned Marcus Brigstocke would definetley not say he is left wing.

No, I was referring to their so called comedy shows, which are pretentious drivel and about as funny as flu.
  • Sam SolitudeSam Solitude Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Miranda Hart
    James Corden
    Ricky Gervais
    That Irish guy who dresses up as Mrs Brown.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of comedians I don't see the appeal of (Hart, McIntyre, Whitehall, Jupitus, the list goes on and on). But I can just about, ever-so-vaguely see what people find funny about them - even if I completely disagree.

And there's Andy Parsons. Who just isn't funny. On any level. Whatsoever. At all.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Modern day comedians would include:

Jason Manford
    Rhod Gilbert
    Jack Whitehall
    Michael McIntyre.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also dislike Lee Nelson (suspect it is not his real name)

Heh, his name is Simon Brodkin, he used to be a doctor, as did Harry Hill.
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly the most unfunny comedian in the world - Andy Parsons,
    Lenny Henry,
    James Corden,
    John Bishop,
    Frank Skinner,
    Katy Brand,
    Jason Manford
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Russell Brand how this guy ever made it to do anything is beyond me he's unfunny can't act and is a pretty unpleasant person all around.

As I was telling a American a few weeks ago who was wondering why he is now in the US "You wanted him now you can keep him we certainly don't want him back"
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Does that mean there's a band of right wing Guardian bashing, pro Israel, climate change denying comedians being kept off air? Apart from Jim Davidson. Maybe right wingers aren't (intentionally) very funny.
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenny Henry and Gina Yashere. If race didn't exist those two wouldn't have an act. Absolutely awful, the pair of them. John Bishop's abysmal as well.
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    The above is a heap of drivel (with particular regard to the comments on messrs Hardy and Brigstock).

Well, this proves the point - it was actually spot on .... in my view! :rolleyes:

Lee Nelson was the only funny part of Al Murray's dire MultiPersonality Breakdown - his chav was just excellent.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    1) Russell Howard is as entertaining as having a urinary infection.

Eh? We always find Russell Howard's Good News to be a very funny show.

So-called comedians we can do without include;

John Bishop
    Ricky Gervais
    Michael McIntyre
    Keith Lemon

All of them slightly less funny than getting your winkle caught in a zip. :eek:
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    Lenny Henry and Gina Yashere. If race didn't exist those two wouldn't have an act. Absolutely awful, the pair of them. John Bishop's abysmal as well.

The thread title is Comedians who should be kicked off our screens ?Is Lenny Henry a comedian because, if he is, it is news to me?:D
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Frankie Boyle apologise for some of the things he said to people btw?

No. No he didn't.

I watched the Last Days of Sodom dvd last night; what he says about Jordan at the end of it probably couldn't be repeated here. He puts up a good argument defending himself mind.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    No. No he didn't.

I watched the Last Days of Sodom dvd last night; what he says about Jordan at the end of it probably couldn't be repeated here. He puts up a good argument defending himself mind.

Is that the one where he said something about her disabled son