Is Kylie the only act to have had a top 5 hit in the last 4 decades?

Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
Forum Member
✭✭✭
All The Lovers hit #3 in 2010, just wondered if anyone else has had a top 5 hit in 1980s, 90s, 00's and 10's?

Also, is she the only female singer to have had 4 decades of top 10 hits?

Would love someone to educate me! :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna? Mariah? Jacko?
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna? Mariah? Jacko?

Jacko died in 2009 so I don't think he has had any re-releases in this current decade (10s)
    Mariah wasn't around in the 80s (her first UK hit was in 1990 - Vision Of Love)
    Madonna I'm not sure she has had a Top 5 hit in this decade so far (10s)

Edit: Am I right in saying though that Cliff Richard had a number one single in each decade from the 50s through to the 90s?
  • Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jacko died in 2009 so I don't think he has had any re-releases in this current decade
    Mariah wasn't around in the 80s (her first UK hit was in 1990 - Vision Of Love)
    Madonna I'm not sure she has had a Top 5 hit in this decade so far

Her last top 5 hit was Celebration in 2009. Is there anyone else who could have done it?

I can't think of any female singer either who has had 4 decades of top 10 hits in history.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it all sounds very impressive on paper, but some of her top 10 hits since the millennium haven't sold very well at all, i was quite shocked at some of the sales for her singles here in the uk. i was also rather surprised to learn the sales of "all the lovers", her only top 10 hit this decade. the way her fans have kept on about it being her biggest hit in years and how it would have been #1 with simultaneous format releases, i assumed it would have at least sold enough to be certified gold.:blush:
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: Am I right in saying though that Cliff Richard had a number one single in each decade from the 50s through to the 90s?

Yeah he did,I'm not sure but I think he has had a top 5 album in all the decades from the 50's to the 10's
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    it all sounds very impressive on paper, but some of her top 10 hits since the millennium haven't sold very well at all, i was quite shocked at some of the sales for her singles here in the uk. i was also rather surprised to learn the sales of "all the lovers", her only top 10 hit this decade. the way her fans have kept on about it being her biggest hit in years and how it would have been #1 with simultaneous format releases, i assumed it would have at least sold enough to be certified gold.:blush:

During the early noughties with her new renaissance as it were sales were at an all time low, some number ones during that period have never even sold enough to be certified silver she is not alone. And curiously whilst ATL was a monumental hit it hasn't gone Gold no I think it's sales are around 350K which is no small number either.
  • x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nebworth90 wrote: »
    Her last top 5 hit was Celebration in 2009. Is there anyone else who could have done it?

I can't think of any female singer either who has had 4 decades of top 10 hits in history.

Michael Jackson's last Top 10 hit was in 2010 with Hold My Hand (Feat. Akon).:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    During the early noughties with her new renaissance as it were sales were at an all time low, some number ones during that period have never even sold enough to be certified silver she is not alone. And curiously whilst ATL was a monumental hit it hasn't gone Gold no I think it's sales are around 350K which is no small number either.

some of those singles still sold rather poorly whatever excuses are being banded about and while 350k is pretty decent figure, it also highlights how badly some of her other singles performed during those years in comparison.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To answer the OP's original question... Yes. She is the only female artist to have Top 5 hits in each of the last 4 decades.

However, she is also the 1st female artist to have #1 albums in each of the past 4 decades, until Madonna 2 years later.

If she has a #1 with any of her new singles this year, she'll also be the only female artist again to have #1 singles in each of the past 4 decades. With only Madonna able to catch her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    x+y wrote: »
    Michael Jackson's last Top 10 hit was in 2010 with Hold My Hand (Feat. Akon).:p
    The OP meant female artists. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Archangel wrote: »
    The OP meant female artists. :)

the thread title suggests otherwise.
  • Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! Jacko had #10 with Hold My Hand!

No other artist has had a top 5 hit though over the past 4 decades yet... I wouldn't count Madonna out yet though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the thread title suggests otherwise.
    Apologies. I just assumed as the poster was talking about Kylie as she was mentioned in the thread title, then perhaps the thread was aimed at female artists, and male artists are far more likely to have hits in each decade anyway. Hence the thought about female artists as that rarefied singles title at the moment could only be given this year to either Kylie or Madonna.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well perhaps the op should clarify. it just seems a bit pointless to start a thread about a two horse race, when many people already know the outcome, if that is the case.:blush:
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure Elton will get one at some point
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member

Your wrong about her singles since the millennium not selling very well. In the year 2000 she made a massive comeback with spinning around, the following year released her album fever which is her most successful period of her career and Can't get you out of my head is the biggest hit of her career, breaking records and going no.1 all over the globe and the following singles from that album sold alot. Granted since this decade she hasn't done as well but to still get a no.1 bad no.2 album and top 3 hit single is impressive. Not many artists who have lasted as long as her and I think the new judge's role on the voice will only boost her popularity further. I think she has a few more no.1 albums and top 10 hits left in her yet! The only other artist who has lasted as long as her is Madonna but her popularity is waning fast in this country quicker than Kylies will. Kylies albums still go platinum madonnas only go gold, plus Madonna hasn't had a top 10 hit in this decade yet. Looking at sales on the internet from both artists, it clearly shows kylie has always been the bigger star and sold more in the UK than Madonna. The only period in the Uk were Kylies popularity waned and Madonna was bigger was the 90s. Plus kylie has is the darling of the press in the Uk, know one ever has a bad word to say about her. She also has an OBE in this country to show how much we love her here and accepted her as one of our own.

This country is the only country were another female singer is bigger than Madonna. Kylie is deffo massive competition for Madonna in Europe and the Uk!
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the thread descends
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your wrong about her singles since the millennium not selling very well.

if you had just read my post properly and spotted that i used the word "some", there would have been no need for this lengthy response.

lets just see how her new material performs before we get too cocky about her sales record shall we?;-) although, she has changed management in yet another desperate bid to crack the us and she has taken over from jessie j on the voice to peddle her wares, now chart radio have abandoned her.
    Forum Member
    if you had just read my post properly and spotted that i used the word "some", there would have been no need for this lengthy response.

lets just see how her new material performs before we get too cocky about her sales record shall we?;-) although, she has changed management in yet another desperate bid to crack the us and she has taken over from jessie j on the voice to peddle her wares, now chart radio have abandoned her.

She's the master of comebacks I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Kylie. Watch this space!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's the master of comebacks I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Kylie. Watch this space!

well you don't have to be mystic meg to predict she will go to great lengths to secure another hit single and that plenty of money will be thrown at her next album campaign. i would say her success is inevitable, rather than something to watch out for.
  • MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did any of Whitney Houston's go back in the top 5 when she died? Or does that not count?
    Forum Member
    well you don't have to be mystic meg to predict she will go to great lengths to secure another hit single and that plenty of money will be thrown at her next album campaign. i would say her success is inevitable, rather than something to watch out for.

Ok then! I'm just saying her career isn't dead and buried yet! I hope she has alot more success as she such a lovely person and has bags of talent. And the more money thrown at her future products the better. It is her job and career at the and of the day so I'm sure she would like lots of money thrown at her new projects and for them to be successful like every company and person in life who wants to earn a living. She's only human at the end of the day. Good for her doing the voice and working hard to stay a success and for having ambition to succeed in other countries and terrrioritys round the globe. To be successful and noticed is what every human being would like is it not and Kylies worked harder than anyone for that success o good luck to her I say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WOW.

Impressive. Well done Kylie. You tend to forget she's had 34 UK top ten hits which is so damn respectable. Good on her.

She also comes across as genuinely nice and tends to under play her achievements.

Really looking forward to the new campaign and The Voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok then! I'm just saying her career isn't dead and buried yet! I hope she has alot more success as she such a lovely person and has bags of talent. And the more money thrown at her future products the better. It is her job and career at the and of the day so I'm sure she would like lots of money thrown at her new projects and for them to be successful like every company and person in life who wants to earn a living. She's only human at the end of the day. Good for her doing the voice and working hard to stay a success and for having ambition to succeed in other countries and terrrioritys round the globe. To be successful and noticed is what every human being would like is it not and Kylies worked harder than anyone for that success o good luck to her I say.

Hey. I understand what you were trying to say and I agree her achievements are brilliant when you sit down and think about it. I don't think you're being cocky at all and I really enjoyed your long response. It was informative. Good on her and good luck to her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok then! I'm just saying her career isn't dead and buried yet! I hope she has alot more success as she such a lovely person and has bags of talent. And the more money thrown at her future products the better. It is her job and career at the and of the day so I'm sure she would like lots of money thrown at her new projects and for them to be successful like every company and person in life who wants to earn a living. She's only human at the end of the day.

it must still bruise her that she's never really taken off in the us and that probably motivated her management changes. now she's on the voice too, so it all seems rather desperate this stage in her career. it will be interesting to see how she fares now with all the increased exposure.