Is Kylie the only act to have had a top 5 hit in the last 4 decades?

Comments

• Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    some of those singles still sold rather poorly whatever excuses are being banded about and while 350k is pretty decent figure, it also highlights how badly some of her other singles performed during those years in comparison.

Yes but I think your missing the point they sold poorly but did not underperform. It was the case with all big name artist that performance did not equate sales. Much like how in 2013 an album could be top 20 for half the year yet still only scrape a fraction of what they would have even 2 years earlier was it a flop did it underperform no sales fluctuate always have always will.

And why is her continuing to strive for success desperate at this point in her career. I think it's great to see someone after 25 years and all that she has achieved strive to outdo and better herself she's not dead yet and neither is her career.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Yes but I think your missing the point they sold poorly but did not underperform. It was the case with all big name artist that performance did not equate sales. Much like how in 2013 an album could be top 20 for half the year yet still only scrape a fraction of what they would have even 2 years earlier was it a flop did it underperform no sales fluctuate always have always will.

And why is her continuing to strive for success desperate at this point in her career. I think it's great to see someone after 25 years and all that she has achieved strive to outdo and better herself she's not dead yet and neither is her career.

I have to agree. Adding to that I have always felt her attitude towards the US has always seemed half hearted. If she really wanted US success she would have gone over for a year or so really working hard to establish herself there. A few weeks here and there will not get her US success, she'd need to start from scratch which I'm sure she would not be willing to do.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

they clearly did though. "all the lovers" is hailed on this forum as a huge hit for her, but it actually ended up #56 on the biggest selling singles of 2010.:blush: a few of her top 10 hits didn't sell well, that was my point and it still stands.

its the us push and the voice role that seem a little desperate to me, that's all. its just my opinion, i don't expect everyone to agree with me.
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at sales on the internet from both artists, it clearly shows kylie has always been the bigger star and sold more in the UK than Madonna. The only period in the Uk were Kylies popularity waned and Madonna was bigger was the 90s. Plus kylie has is the darling of the press in the Uk, know one ever has a bad word to say about her. She also has an OBE in this country to show how much we love her here and accepted her as one of our own.

This country is the only country were another female singer is bigger than Madonna. Kylie is deffo massive competition for Madonna in Europe and the Uk!

Madonna has sold 17 million singles in the UK compared to Kylie's 10 million, she has 13 UK number one singles compared to Kylie's 7. She's also sold around 20 million albums in the UK. She's the fourth best-selling artist of all time in both total singles and albums sold. The Immaculate Collection was also the biggest selling album by a female artist until Adele's 21 overtook it. Madonna also has more top five hits than any other artist (if you don't count the re-releases after Elvis' death), she also has more top ten and twenty hits than any other female.

With MDNA she racked up her 12th UK number one album, more than any other solo artist. Kylie is way behind with 5 number one albums. During the 00s Madonna had 5 UK number one singles, Kylie had 3.

I understand that you prefer Kylie, but that doesn't mean that she's more popular in the UK than Madonna. The statistics prove otherwise.

Even if Madonna never has another UK number one single or even a top ten hit again Kylie won't ever get close to matching her overall sales or chart success, I do believe that Madonna's single sales are past their peak but Kylie is entering that stage too. It's a sad reflection of the ageist and sexist world we live in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    gpk wrote: »
    it must still bruise her that she's never really taken off in the us and that probably motivated her management changes. now she's on the voice too, so it all seems rather desperate this stage in her career. it will be interesting to see how she fares now with all the increased exposure.

I don't think the fact she hasn't taken off in the USA ever really affected her too much. Yes she would like everything she sells in the US to be successful as here but she never comes across as a person with a big ego and always seen shocked and humbled at how successful she is even here in tge UK where she's bigger news than anywhere else. The fact she now has started to go over their and tour and visit her American fans even tho she has to play smaller venues than she would here and scale back her shows is really sweet and humbling I think. Theirs some artists who really wouldn't do this and think why should I scale back my shows just for a small percentage of fans over their where I'm not as big. It was actually Beyoncé who talked to her and persuaded her to join Roc nation (reports say Beyoncé persuaded her husband jay-z who owns roc nation to sign kylie) as Beyoncé wants to help kylie crack America. Shows how respected she is by other artists in the industry I think. Plus in regards to cracking American this last decade she's been going down a storm with gay fans (her most loyal market everywhere)and gay clubs in the US with everything she brings out going no.1 lately going no.1 in the dance club US charts so her popularity is rising across the pound. Not everyone in America may know who she is but all American gay men seem too, so that's a start.

I don't think being a new judge on a talent show is a come down at all, shows she has talents to do it all - successful TV actress, singer, now judge. Theirs some artists whos egos would think if they had the success kylie had at all these years they are not lowering themselves to those sort of things even if they needed it for their careers at the time. Good on her for thinking all the expouser its going to get her week in week out and for not thinking she's something she's not after all these years to do something like this to help her career when its needed at an important time. Like I said above some artists wouldn't even lower themselves to be a TV talent show judge even if their career needed a boost at the time
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kylie needs a number 1 otherwise she'll be forgotten...
    Forum Member
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    [/B]

Madonna has sold 17 million singles in the UK compared to Kylie's 10 million, she has 13 UK number one singles compared to Kylie's 7. She's also sold around 20 million albums in the UK. She's the fourth best-selling artist of all time in both total singles and albums sold. The Immaculate Collection was also the biggest selling album by a female artist until Adele's 21 overtook it. Madonna also has more top five hits than any other artist (if you don't count the re-releases after Elvis' death), she also has more top ten and twenty hits than any other female.

With MDNA she racked up her 12th UK number one album, more than any other solo artist. Kylie is way behind with 5 number one albums. During the 00s Madonna had 5 UK number one singles, Kylie had 3.

I understand that you prefer Kylie, but that doesn't mean that she's more popular in the UK than Madonna. The statistics prove otherwise.

Even if Madonna never has another UK number one single or even a top ten hit again Kylie won't ever get close to matching her overall sales or chart success, I do believe that Madonna's single sales are past their peak but Kylie is entering that stage too. It's a sad reflection of the ageist and sexist world we live in.[/QUOTE\

I'm talking uk success not worldwide. I understand Madonna's more successful worldwide but not here in the Uk!

She is more popular in the Uk than Madonna! Madge may have had more no.1s here and their but she hasn't sold as many singles/albums in the Uk alone as kylie since 2000 . Looking at facts Kylies albums go platinum but Madonna's only gold in the Uk. Even in Kylies pooper 80s days with Pete waterman Kylie was out selling Madonna 3 to 1. Even Pete waterman says in his Autobiography. The onky decade in this country were Madonna was more popular than Madge was the 90s, when Kylies popularity waned until 2000. Both artists careers are waning but Madonna's quicker in the UK than Kylies. Madonna hasn't had a top.10 hit this decade. Also Madonna seems to be copying kylie (when it once was kylie copying Madge. more so these days. That super bowl was a complete rip off Kylies last arena tour.
    Forum Member
    Attia_Ash wrote: »
    Hey. I understand what you were trying to say and I agree her achievements are brilliant when you sit down and think about it. I don't think you're being cocky at all and I really enjoyed your long response. It was informative. Good on her and good luck to her.

Awwww thanks :)
    Forum Member
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    [/B]

Even if Madonna never has another UK number one single or even a top ten hit again Kylie won't ever get close to matching her overall sales or chart success, I do believe that Madonna's single sales are past their peak but Kylie is entering that stage too. It's a sad reflection of the ageist and sexist world we live in.

.....also to add to my earlier post it seems only when Madonna released her celebration greatest hits that washer most successful most recent album in lets say the last 7 years or so. Its seems the public only like old Madonna in the auk not her new stuff
    Forum Member
    Kylie needs a number 1 otherwise she'll be forgotten...

Someone whos latest this long won't be forgotten so quickly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people should stop with the Madonna comparisons. Yes she's sold more than Kylie so good for her.

Kylie's done well in her own right. Beside's, Kylie is 10 years younger than Madonna. Why not compare her to JLo/Mariah instead who are more of a similar age.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do find it funny whenever Kylie is discussed...Madonna always comes into it...but never the other way around :cool:

Anyways...i think personally Kylie is a representation of Pop Princess like Britney is STateside...now THAT i will understand....but all this trying to tear Madonna down and put Kylie up is pretty rediculous when it doesnt add up at all with the actual FACTS.

Anyways whatever....Madonnas legacy speaks for itself...and she can only add to it...same with Kylie...now i am not a massive Kylie fan...her 80s/early 90s stuff is not what i stand for in music...personally...but i did love Impossible Princess and some of her 00s albums are corkers...I am not here for stats/sales....but for artistic imapct and credability....so yeah another thing why i dont understand the comparisons with Madonna or anyone else for that matter....but hey!

But Kylie does have her own catalogue and small impact in her own right too...and by the sounds of Roc Nation deal and her meetings with Jay-Z, Kanye West of late and indeed Madonna too at the MET gala etc...she should be on her way in...also Brooke Candy being on it (LOOOVE her!) so lets just see.

Anyways, never a need to bring anyone else into it as it comes off a bit...meh :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [
    She is more popular in the Uk than Madonna! Madge may have had more no.1s here and their but she hasn't sold as many singles/albums in the Uk alone as kylie since 2000 . Looking at facts Kylies albums go platinum but Madonna's only gold in the Uk. Even in Kylies pooper 80s days with Pete waterman Kylie was out selling Madonna 3 to 1. Even Pete waterman says in his Autobiography. The onky decade in this country were Madonna was more popular than Madge was the 90s, when Kylies popularity waned until 2000. Both artists careers are waning but Madonna's quicker in the UK than Kylies. Madonna hasn't had a top.10 hit this decade. Also Madonna seems to be copying kylie (when it once was kylie copying Madge. more so these days. That super bowl was a complete rip off Kylies last arena tour.

Pete Waterman is known for talking bullshit. However I'm not completely ruling out what he said, in 1988 I suppose Kylie did outsell Madonna, who released no music that year. However take Madonna's most successful period in the UK 1986-1987 when she released the singles off of True Blue, she had three number one singles off of that album and the other singles went top five. True Blue has sold 2 million copies in the UK, Like A Virgin and Like A Prayer sold over a million. Her first album also went platinum. So she did not outsell her 3 to 1 when you compare both their peaks. Also Madonna racked up 6 UK number ones in the 80s compared to Kylie's 2 however you could argue that it's not a fair comparison because Madonna started earlier, but neither is it fair to compare Kylie's success in 1988 to Madonna when the latter released no music.

If you want to compare their success in the 2000s let's look at albums shall we. Music sold 1.5 million, the much-maligned American Life sold 335,000, COADF sold 1.2 million (not bad for an artist 23 years into their career), Hard Candy 335,000. Kylie's Lightyears sold 330,000 copies in the UK, Fever 1.5 million, Body Language 300,000 and X 463,000.

I make that roughly 3.3 million for Madonna vs 2.5 million for Kylie when it comes to albums sold in the UK during the 00s. Madonna has never had a million-plus selling single in the UK, but when her totals are added up she's way ahead and besides, looking at the top ten best-selling singles ever is hardly a list full of quality.

As for Madonna's Super Bowl performance I wasn't aware that Kylie was capable of time travel, are you claiming that she invented the style of Ancient Egypt too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do find it funny whenever Kylie is discussed...Madonna always comes into it...but never the other way around :cool:

Anyways...i think personally Kylie is a representation of Pop Princess like Britney is STateside...now THAT i will understand....but all this trying to tear Madonna down and put Kylie up is pretty rediculous when it doesnt add up at all with the actual FACTS.

Anyways whatever....Madonnas legacy speaks for itself...and she can only add to it...same with Kylie...now i am not a massive Kylie fan...her 80s/early 90s stuff is not what i stand for in music...personally...but i did love Impossible Princess and some of her 00s albums are corkers...I am not here for stats/sales....but for artistic imapct and credability....so yeah another thing why i dont understand the comparisons with Madonna or anyone else for that matter....but hey!

But Kylie does have her own catalogue and small impact in her own right too...and by the sounds of Roc Nation deal and her meetings with Jay-Z, Kanye West of late and indeed Madonna too at the MET gala etc...she should be on her way in...also Brooke Candy being on it (LOOOVE her!) so lets just see.

Anyways, never a need to bring anyone else into it as it comes off a bit...meh :D

Actually I think you'll find it was as ever the other way round people always want to diminish Kylie's achievement by putting them along side each other. Kylie has never been as successful as Madonna true but she has been a damn sight more successful than others people should remember all that she has done and celebrate her own merits as opposed to diminishing them by bringing up Madonna.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people should stop with the Madonna comparisons. Yes she's sold more than Kylie so good for her.

Kylie's done well in her own right. Beside's, Kylie is 10 years younger than Madonna. Why not compare her to JLo/Mariah instead who are more of a similar age.

Here,here....Kylie has her own impact and coming second to Madonna is a pretty huuuge feat and also shwocases how ahead she is of the contemporary starlets of late (Britney, Rihanna etc) its still fine and dandy :).

ANd like i said...Britney represents the Stateside Pop Princess title and Kylie the UK/Europe Pop Princess title...plus Kylie has links with Madonna and MJ the same Britney did ...kinda funny really but there :).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Women are compared more than men in the pop world it seems and their worth is judged in terms of their age in a way that it's not with male artists. Which explains why Madonna's peak on the singles chart may have ended before Kylie's, because she's ten years older.

The only woman who defied that rule was Cher, but she never had a smash like Believe again. That was a fluke.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Kylie and Madonna thing is pathetic, they are two completely different female singers who happened to launch at a similar time and with similar styles, since then they have both branched out to be quite different.
    Madonna and Kylie are both beautiful, talented, successful women with large fanbases and a whole host of massive hits and albums.
    I doubt Kylie cries herself to sleep each night over Madonna being more popular worldwide. Kylie is a legend. Just as Madonna is.

About the America thing, I truly do not believe Kylie cares, if Jay-Z offers you a record deal when you're current label keeps messing you around of course you say yes!
    The fact he's based in America is irrelevant!
    The Voice will do her good because unlike Jessie the chav, Kylie is a nice, caring woman who knows what she's talking about.
    Anyways, good luck to Kylie on her new album and ventures, I think it's fantastic to see her striving forward at her (still relatively) young age, and congratulations to her for all her achievements. By the looks of things Kylie is the one artist so far other than Britney who has survived the power of and never ending cycle of brilliance that is Madonna.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    The Kylie and Madonna thing is pathetic, they are two completely different female singers who happened to launch at a similar time and with similar styles, since then they have both branched out to be quite different.
    Madonna and Kylie are both beautiful, talented, successful women with large fanbases and a whole host of massive hits and albums.
    I doubt Kylie cries herself to sleep each night over Madonna being more popular worldwide. Kylie is a legend. Just as Madonna is.

About the America thing, I truly do not believe Kylie cares, if Jay-Z offers you a record deal when you're current label keeps messing you around of course you say yes!
    The fact he's based in America is irrelevant!
    The Voice will do her good because unlike Jessie the chav, Kylie is a nice, caring woman who knows what she's talking about.
    Anyways, good luck to Kylie on her new album and ventures, I think it's fantastic to see her striving forward at her (still relatively) young age, and congratulations to her for all her achievements. By the looks of things Kylie is the one artist so far other than Britney who has survived the power of and never ending cycle of brilliance that is Madonna.

Toally Adz! Again....Madonna and Kylie are both very very diferent forms of artists too and i dont like it when people just kinda throw people in the same category/box. Regardless of whom everyone is a fan of etc.

Kylie loves to ensure her fans are pleased above all else...hense the continued Electropop/Dance Pop theme of the past decade...whereas Madonna loves to shake it up and mix up themes/style and genre within Pop/Dance/Rock fields....very different and both work so very well.

And something i have noticed with Kylie is that she herself doesnt like to keep everything "the same" either...besides at the end of the day she has always said how much she adores Madonna and also has met her a few times...as said recently at the MET Ball this year with a pic taken. So it is all cool.

Anyways 2014 looks set to be a year of insanely awesome Pop...Kylie back in Spring and Madonna rumoured to be working with Patl Leonard and Orbit for later this year...heeeres to it :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I think you'll find it was as ever the other way round people always want to diminish Kylie's achievement by putting them along side each other. Kylie has never been as successful as Madonna true but she has been a damn sight more successful than others people should remember all that she has done and celebrate her own merits as opposed to diminishing them by bringing up Madonna.

Oh HM i wish it would all just kinda...stop you know...few times do males/bands ever rival/fan war start (Blur/Oasis, Beatles/The Stones are the only ones i can think of)

its always Female legends/icons competing or current hot properties....this years gaga/Perry/Cyrus gate was redic! :(>:(

but Kylie fans should be impressed with the fact that she has surpassed criticism/backlashes and 4 decades in still a name in the industry and in a new field now to promote her new material too to ensure it reaches stable enough success/awareness and abve all else that is important...and to be compared to Madonna is such a feat too regadless of all else :).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh HM i wish it would all just kinda...stop you know...few times do males/bands ever rival/fan war start (Blur/Oasis, Beatles/The Stones are the only ones i can think of)

its always Female legends/icons competing or current hot properties....this years gaga/Perry/Cyrus gate was redic! :(>:(

but Kylie fans should be impressed with the fact that she has surpassed criticism/backlashes and 4 decades in still a name in the industry and in a new field now to promote her new material too to ensure it reaches stable enough success/awareness and abve all else that is important...and to be compared to Madonna is such a feat too regadless of all else :).

The point I was making that in this instance again no one brought Madonna into it save for Madonna fans. I take both on an equal level and enjoy them equally it's sometimes that from certain corners Kylie will always unfairly be negatively attacked and compared to Madonna which rightly riles the Kylie fans.

But for me as always I admire bother if I prefer KM.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toally Adz! Again....Madonna and Kylie are both very very diferent forms of artists too and i dont like it when people just kinda throw people in the same category/box. Regardless of whom everyone is a fan of etc.

Kylie loves to ensure her fans are pleased above all else...hense the continued Electropop/Dance Pop theme of the past decade...whereas Madonna loves to shake it up and mix up themes/style and genre within Pop/Dance/Rock fields....very different and both work so very well.

And something i have noticed with Kylie is that she herself doesnt like to keep everything "the same" either...besides at the end of the day she has always said how much she adores Madonna and also has met her a few times...as said recently at the MET Ball this year with a pic taken. So it is all cool.

Anyways 2014 looks set to be a year of insanely awesome Pop...Kylie back in Spring and Madonna rumoured to be working with Patl Leonard and Orbit for later this year...heeeres to it :cool:

Yes, I think 2013 was the year of the young pop princesses, Britney, Gaga, Beyonce etc to rule.
    But 2014 looks like it will belong to the legends of pop, so excited!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

can you quantify that please?:confused: i for one haven't even used the m word in this thread and from the way i read the thread, it was the kylie fans that first started making the comparisons.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point I was making that in this instance again no one brought Madonna into it save for Madonna fans. I take both on an equal level and enjoy them equally it's sometimes that from certain corners Kylie will always unfairly be negatively attacked and compared to Madonna which rightly riles the Kylie fans.

But for me as always I admire bother if I prefer KM.

that is just simply not true.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bottom line is Kylie has done EXTREMELY well in her own right. Her achievements are massive. She has everything going for her and so much to be proud of. She deserves all the success she has achieved. Let's not lower the tone and argue about this.

This is a time to celebrate and to look forward to a 2014 KYLIE filled year. If you're not a fan or don't like her, that's fair enough.

It's not going to spoil our positive happy moods as Kylie fans though.

Good times here we come.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not lower the tone and argue about this.

its not really that bad, but i have been annoyed by some untruths posted here, i must admit.
    If you're not a fan or don't like her, that's fair enough.

It's not going to spoil our positive happy moods as Kylie fans though.

i agree and that is why i respect the leona lewis fans on this forum. some forum members really did their best to spoil what should have been a fun time for her fans with her christmas album, but they by and large, ignored the obvious baiting.