Man United Supporters Thread (Part 48)

Comments

• dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not the biggest fan of London. I found that almost everyone I came across was incredibly rude. It was so busy, I was forever getting out of peoples' way. Saying this, I was playing some gigs there and had to carry loads of drum gear around, so hardly the best scenario. Though exploring the city was quite fun. From the perspective of someone coming from abroad, I can see the appeal of London over Manchester.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today's obligatory transfer guff:

The Express claim that we're 'preparing' an £18.5m bid for Lucas Biglia, of Lazio.

Fox Sports say that Atletico Madrid are interested in taking Hernandez. That one actually makes a fair bit of sense, in my opinion.

Elsewhere, Real Madrid are being linked with a move for Otamendi.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A loan deal, you have got to be kidding right. The man is a World Cup winner, he plays for Bayern, he is in his prime, and you went to take him on loan, to decide if we should buy him.

He is no Falcao you know, he is no young pup that gets sent out on loan to another club.

If we want him we should buy him, none of this loan business nonsense.

Honestly I dont know what you are thinking of, this is as good as the Holt Suarez posts, you are posting this for giggles right.

I hold my hands up, and say this was an error on my behalf, I should not have said what I said about the loan, it was a mis-judged comment, that should not have been said, I firmly take it back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesse Lingard wants to stay and 'fight for his place'.

Good luck to him.
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,327
    Forum Member
    satellite wrote: »
    Batdude's, there is a lot more to London than just 'shops' I can assure you. London is HUGE, it's not just the centre. It's culturally diverse and places like Hampstead & Highgate where a lot of the Arsenal players live is absolutely stunning with beautiful parks, woodland, art galleries, fantastic music venues, restaurants, museums etc - you really should take some time out to explore if you ever get the chance.

I think it's safe to say that London has it's features as does Manchester, as I said previously though, London has had successive governments focus on it, and certainly since 1979, anything beyond Watford has seen far less proportionally spent on it compared to London. The fact we've no "second" city is something of a detriment to the country, and really something that a decent government would have sorted out. However, let's get back to football shall we, where I think it's perfectly clear, Manchester is the capital of......
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not come down to the big smoke and find out, have you been down here to London before.?

I have been to London on a few occasions, although the last time was a few years ago (about 2007), so perhaps I should reqaquaint myself with it once more.
    Today's obligatory transfer guff:

The Express claim that we're 'preparing' an £18.5m bid for Lucas Biglia, of Lazio.

Fox Sports sat that Atletico Madrid are interested in taking Hernandez. That one actually makes a fair bit of sense, in my opinion.

Elsewhere, Real Madrid are being linked with a move for Otamendi.

Humm Hernandez would I think be a good fit there I agree with you, and they have an open space, after selling Mandzukic, so it would be a win-win situation for both of the clubs, and the player.
    Forum Member
    Jesse Lingard wants to stay and 'fight for his place'.

Good luck to him.

To be fair to the kid, he looked impressive last summer on the tour, and did enough to start against Swansea. He then picked up an injury and others came in, whilst others came back by the time he returned. He has to think that if he can have another good tour, he'll get another chance and if he's lucky this time round he may stick around. However, I just get the feeling that Pereira has crept in front of him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humm Hernandez would I think be a good fit there I agree with you, and they have an open space, after selling Mandzukic, so it would be a win-win situation for both of the clubs, and the player.

Only if the fee is right. I'd want at least £10m for him, if not more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tribec wrote: »
    To be fair to the kid, he looked impressive last summer on the tour, and did enough to start against Swansea. He then picked up an injury and others came in, whilst others came back by the time he returned. He has to think that if he can have another good tour, he'll get another chance and if he's lucky this time round he may stick around. However, I just get the feeling that Pereira has crept in front of him.

I'd like to see someone get in front of Young, in the pecking order.

I've got a lot of time for his efforts, last season, but he's not the long-term answer.
    Forum Member

I've got a lot of time for his efforts, last season, but he's not the long-term answer.

I think my opinions of Young are as well known as my opinions on Carrick. Young got lucky last year, with Januzaj having such a poor second season, if Januzaj can get back to how he was under Moyes, Young will be behind him and Di Maria.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed. I see him as more of an 'off the bench' option if needed.
  • zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member

Think Depay will get ahead of Young pretty quickly.

Not sure Atletico will need to go for Hernandez. They already have Vietto and Martinez joining apparently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to The Times, Phil Jones is signing a new contract this week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zieler wrote: »
    Think Depay will get ahead of Young pretty quickly.

Good call.
    According to The Times, Phil Jones is signing a new contract this week.

Jones desperately needs to stay fit, this year. Another stop-start season and I could see Van Gaal losing patience.
    Forum Member
    Jones desperately needs to stay fit, this year. Another stop-start season and I could see Van Gaal losing patience.

I agree. He probably won't be needed as much as a centre-back this season though, reckon Smalling and Ramos/Otamendi/whoever will be ahead of him.

Thinking about it, the Madrid links to Otamendi are very interesting. Likely a warning shot at Ramos to tell him that he isn't irreplaceable. They have been doing all of the things a club usually does if they think a player is on his way out; leak links to arch-rivals to make the player look like a ****, smear the player by getting a friendly journalist to claim the player is all about the money and is disrespecting the shirt. Since all those tricks are apparently just making Ramos pissed off, reckon we could have a shot at getting him if this continues to escalate.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stories from the papers

Daily Star

Sergio Ramos has told Real Madrid he wants to join Manchester United.

The news is a huge boost to Louis Van Gaal's hopes of luring the Spanish World Cup winner to Old Trafford.

Starsport can reveal United have told Real to forget about signing keeper David De Gea unless Ramos - who is locked in a contract dispute with the Benabeu club and has told them he wants to leave - is part of the deal.

And the Spanish side's new boss Rafa Benitez has refused to rule out selling the 29-year-old defender.

De Gea has told United he wants to join Real and fulfil his lifelong dream, but Starsport understands the Spaniard will not be sold unless Ramos comes in the opposite direction.

A senior club source said 'Ramos is someone we are interested in. But their will be no deal over David De Gea unless Sergio is allowed to join us'.

Real president Florentino Perez was hoping to lure De Gea to the Bernabeu in a straight cash deal of around £25m.

Now Perez must agree yo sell Ramos if he wants to land De Gea and a potential stumbling block could be how much he demands for the defender.

Ramos, who is furious Real bosses have allowed his contract to run into the final two years has a £145m buyout clause.

Perez will not hold United to that amount, but he is still expected to demand around £45m for a player who has won every honour in the game at both club and international level.

United value Ramos closer to £30m and Old Trafford chief executive Ed Woodward is expected to hold talks with Perez this week in the hope of striking a compromise.

The Sun

Jese Lingard hopes his England heroics will help him force his way into Louis Van Gaal's plans.

The Manchester United winger, 22, came off the bench to score in the 1-0 win over Sweden at the European Under-21 Championship on Sunday.

Lingard spent the second-half of last season on loan at Derby after suffering a serious knee injury for United against Swansea - Van Gaal's first game as boss.

He said: 'I kept in contact with Louis Van Gaal last season and he was guiding me and giving me confidence'.

'Im now looking to stay at United and get games under my belt there'.

'I'll see what the boss says when I get back'.

'Ive always wanted to play for United and that is still my ambition'.

'Scoring goals like this only helps. I'll never know where I would be now if I hadnt got that injury'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thinking about it, the Madrid links to Otamendi are very interesting. Likely a warning shot at Ramos to tell him that he isn't irreplaceable. They have been doing all of the things a club usually does if they think a player is on his way out; leak links to arch-rivals to make the player look like a ****, smear the player by getting a friendly journalist to claim the player is all about the money and is disrespecting the shirt. Since all those tricks are apparently just making Ramos pissed off, reckon we could have a shot at getting him if this continues to escalate.

I can't argue with your logic, at all. I just don't see it happening, unless Van Gaal is absolutely determined to get him and/or we insist on it, for them to have any chance of signing De Gea this summer.

I could see us seriously over-paying for him.
    Forum Member
    I can't argue with your logic, at all. I just don't see it happening, unless Van Gaal is absolutely determined to get him and/or we insist on it, for them to have any chance of signing De Gea this summer.

I could see us seriously over-paying for him.

Think the second option is our best chance. Apparently we have been asking about the availability of their key players, mostly out of pettiness, hence us suddenly going after someone who seemed completely unsignable a week ago. Given their feud with Ramos, they might just be willing to let him go in exchange for De Gea and a bit of money if they think they will have to wait until next year otherwise.

Of course, if Real just pay Ramos the going rate for a top centre-back then we have no chance. But Perez can be spiteful towards players who he doesn't think deserve the normal going-rate (Makalele and Di Maria).

Reckon Van Gaal really wants a top centre-back but I think if pursuing Ramos drags on for too long then he will just switch to plan B and pay the release clause for Otamendi.
    Forum Member
    https://twitter.com/SkySportsAmy/status/613277303104274433

Please get the deal done Fenerbahce. Pretty please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://twitter.com/SkySportsAmy/status/613277303104274433

Please get the deal done Fenerbahce. Pretty please.

Any idea how much we're likely to get for him?
    Forum Member
    Any idea how much we're likely to get for him?

About £7 million. Not much at all but not very surprising given even with a wage cut he will still be on quite a lot and his last good season was 3/4 years ago . Did score 7 goals for Sporting on loan but Bebe managed 12 when he was on loan at Pacos so I'll put that down to the league.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About £7 million. Not much at all but not very surprising given even with a wage cut he will still be on quite a lot and his last good season was 3/4 years ago . Did score 7 goals for Sporting on loan but Bebe managed 12 when he was on loan at Pacos so I'll put that down to the league.

Yeah, I think at this stage, £7m is probably about fair.

Pretty gutted that it never really worked out with him. Why did he have to be so spectacularly dumb?
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tribec wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say that London has it's features as does Manchester, as I said previously though, London has had successive governments focus on it, and certainly since 1979, anything beyond Watford has seen far less proportionally spent on it compared to London. The fact we've no "second" city is something of a detriment to the country, and really something that a decent government would have sorted out. However, let's get back to football shall we, where I think it's perfectly clear, Manchester is the capital of......

Music
    Fashion
    Football
    Glorious weather :p

and

Chippy Tea's. :cool:
    Forum Member
    Music
    Fashion
    Football
    Glorious weather :p

and

Chippy Tea's. :cool:

You missed out soap opera's...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AS are claiming that we'll offer £21m plus De Gea, for Ramos.

Quite how they 'know' this is anyone's guess, but I can't say that I'd be hugely impressed, if it were true.
This discussion has been closed.